Allegheny S2000 Owners Club Western PA including, Pittsburgh, Erie, Western Maryland, Northern West Virginia, and Eastern Ohio

Winter Tires

Old 10-25-2015, 04:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Winter Tires

Hey guys/girls, just wondering how many of you drive your S in the winter? I am looking to buy winter tires probably in the next couple weeks and weighing options right now. I have a AP1 with stock wheels so as far as I see (on discounttiredirect) there aren't a 'ton' of tires to choose from however they all look fairly good.

Does anyone have experience with a particular brand/model tire they like and for what reason(s)? I drove my last S in the winter years ago with all seasons and it was fairly terrible even a inch of snow on the road and it was a scary feeling.

Also if anyone has driven in the winter and wont be this year I wouldn't be opposed to buying a used set of winter tires locally!

Thanks for any input
Old 10-26-2015, 01:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My S is in the garage as soon as the salt hits the roads but in case it's of any use to you, I use Michelin X-ICE XI3's on my Si and am very happy with them. I have talked to people who use Blizzaks and liked them also. Check Tirerack.com for the details, they are close in performance---one handles slightly better on snow the other on dry pavement.
Also it's helpful with low profile tires to downsize your wheels and use a tire with a taller sidewall for winter traction. There are calculators available to match the same OD so your speedometer is still accurate. That will save your summer wheels from salt & brine abuse also.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont drive the S in winter. But I have run Blizzaks on my Integra for years and years and always loved them.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:00 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't drive my S in the winter so I can't speak for winter tires for it but I have had a couple of different brands of winters.

I ran blizzaks on my Integra when I had it, they worked great. I also had Continental Extreme Winter Contacts in my Accord, loved these. I ran Falken Eurowinters on my WRX the past 2 winters, they were great in snow conditions but they weren't a high performance tire so they didn't handle that great on dry roads. Last year we ran Hancook icepts on the evo, they worked great and actually just picked up the exact same tire for the STi today.

I looked at tirerack and discount tire and it seems that ap1 winter tire sizes are very limited. They are a little pricy but i would go with the Pirelli Winter Sottozeros on tirerack.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy an old civic with the tire money and money you'll save on insurance and let that thing rust in the winter instead of the roadster.

Or blizzaks.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for the replies!

A winter 'beater' was a thought but I dont have a temperature controlled garage and I have never been a big fan of letting a car sit for months. I have driven RWD cars for the last probably 8 years in the winter (e30, previous S2000, e36, z3, and miata last year) none of which had snow tires and i've never had issues (knock on wood) I think with proper snow tires the car will go well enough in the snow for my daily commute.

From the sound of the replies, tirerack is prefered over discounttiredirect? I actually have only ever bought tires online once and it was from tire rack so I can't say if discount tire is good or bad. I will say they have a few more options than tire rack and thats the only reason I was keeping it in mind.

I see that most of these tires have a option of 'studded' and 'non studded' Im not sure if those studs can be put in on your own or maybe someone knows advantage and disadvantage of these? From my experience the roads are mostly clear in the winter by the time im on them unless it is a severe snow storm or shortage of salt so I couldnt see actually needing the studded tires.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:03 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pghs2kid
From the sound of the replies, tirerack is prefered over discounttiredirect? I actually have only ever bought tires online once and it was from tire rack so I can't say if discount tire is good or bad. I will say they have a few more options than tire rack and thats the only reason I was keeping it in mind.
I usually buy most of my tires online from Discount Tire Direct, they usually have better deals IMO but Tirerack usually has a better selection. If you sign up for DTD's CC and purchase using that they usually knock another $25-50 off instantly, then I just pay the card off within a couple of days. No complaints here.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:01 PM

thanks for the replies!

A winter 'beater' was a thought but I dont have a temperature controlled garage and I have never been a big fan of letting a car sit for months. I have driven RWD cars for the last probably 8 years in the winter (e30, previous S2000, e36, z3, and miata last year) none of which had snow tires and i've never had issues (knock on wood) I think with proper snow tires the car will go well enough in the snow for my daily commute.

I see that most of these tires have a option of 'studded' and 'non studded' Im not sure if those studs can be put in on your own or maybe someone knows advantage and disadvantage of these? From my experience the roads are mostly clear in the winter by the time im on them unless it is a severe snow storm or shortage of salt so I couldnt see actually needing the studded tires.
Ive used both sites and have had luck with both. I probably use Tire Rack more, but that is mainly bc of selection.

As for studded, I do not think there is a reason to worry about studded tires around here. Actually I do not think I have ever seen anyone run studded tires around here. When I lived in Alaska that was a different story...
Old 10-28-2015, 05:47 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I think with proper snow tires the car will go well enough in the snow for my daily commute.
I have data to support that theory.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by mmoore9700
Originally Posted by pghs2kid' timestamp='1445950313' post='23787119
I usually buy most of my tires online from Discount Tire Direct, they usually have better deals IMO but Tirerack usually has a better selection. If you sign up for DTD's CC and purchase using that they usually knock another $25-50 off instantly, then I just pay the card off within a couple of days. No complaints here.

I frequently purchase from DTD over the past 10-12 years and have never had a problem. If they don't have a tire listed I will call them or use their online chat thing and they have always been able to get the tire I wanted and for cheaper than TireRack plus DTD always has free shipping. I just purchased a set of tires from TireRack this past week for my dad's Fit and their service is just as good and ship very quickly, just happened that this time even with the shipping it was cheaper and came with the road hazard warranty as well, which is more important for my dad's car than mine.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires