Announcements Official Site Related Announcements and News

Post Upgrade issues

Old 03-02-2011, 05:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those receiving email notifications, go to the top right of your page and click the drop down menu next to your user name, click My Settings and then click Notification Options.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by energetic
For those receiving email notifications, go to the top right of your page and click the drop down menu next to your user name, then click Notification Options.
For those lost, "Notification Options" is in the "My Settings" page
Old 03-02-2011, 05:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, edited.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, 'puters. Ain't they fun? You'll get it fixed and learn a ton on the way.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Code:
For those receiving email notifications, go to the top right of your page and click the drop down menu next to your user name, click My Settings and then click Notification Options.

Thanks, I have tried that several times, including twice this morning - the second time I tried it, I finally got to update before I was blown off the site. I'll see if the spam stops, but first I have to go to my e-mail and delete all the crap I got. What I don't understand is why they would default notify me I have PM's and posts in subcriptions, when I never had it before! And couldn't get to the site to read any of it! Anyway, I hope they get things smoothed out soon.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OH! Maybe you are talking about this?

"Your Settings" > "Forums" tab > "Manage Watched Topics" OR "Manage Watched Forums"

Old 03-02-2011, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've shut off all email notices for forum and topic subscriptions. You'll need to go into your settings and set the notification options as you would like them to be going forward.

I am actively seeking a solution to the server load/performance issue. I've got engineers from the software company working to find the bottlenecks which is causing so much CPU usage. Their CEO is watching the progress. They looked at it for a couple hours yesterday but so far they haven't found a meaningful solution.

Private Messages were my mistake. When I exported them from the database with a script I wrote to do that job I forgot to change the database name from the test copy of the database I was using to the production database. Consequently I exported a copy of the PM tables as they were when I made the copy, Nov 23rd. Unfortunately, There is no upgrade just this thing function so I basically have to redo the entire upgrade process on a test system using the correct PM tables and then export the converted PM tables from the test system and import them into the live database, overwriting the PM tables which are in the live database. I'm running that upgrade process now, it's about 15% complete. To speed it up I'm emptied the posts, topics and other large database tables so the upgrade scripts can skip through them since they aren't pertinent. PMs, all of them, should be back online today, I'm not 100% sure when but I'm guessing 6PM Eastern time.

As I mentioned before, "the site design is temporary". It's a stock boilerplate with the logo changed and a Store link added to the menu, nothing more. It is not going to stay that way for long. I needed to economize on time and deferring the visual redesign until after the transition was complete was one way to move the upgrade date forward by a week or two.

The design of the site (color scheme, layout, s2kiishness, will change completely within the next week or two. I need to spend my time on a few other functional issues (see above) because they are way higher priority. I realize it's not pretty but it's more important that it work good rather than look good right now.

Look for the PM problem to go away today. Look for the performance problems to go away by the end of the week and look for a new visual design a week or two after that. By the end of March this will all be in the rearview.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for all the hard work. Migrations are never fun.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by cthree
Private Messages were my mistake.
Vote to ban c3...
Old 03-02-2011, 08:41 AM

Cthree stop drinking at the job lol, but keep up the great work, you have all of our support through this hell that is not having S2ki for a few days.Everything for a better S2ki.

Quick Reply: Post Upgrade issues