Asia S2000 Owners English speaking owners from Asia. Including Hong Kong, China, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan.

Help from Japan member

Old 04-24-2016, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help from Japan member

I'm trying to import an S2000 into the US and I'm stuck trying to reach Honda Japan to ask for a letter stating the S2000 meets standard US safety regulations. I'm willing to pay for the service and time if there is anyone who would be willing to assist me. I don't speak Japanese and the online website doesn't particularly help.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-26-2016, 10:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KingzS
I'm trying to import an S2000 into the US and I'm stuck trying to reach Honda Japan to ask for a letter stating the S2000 meets standard US safety regulations. I'm willing to pay for the service and time if there is anyone who would be willing to assist me. I don't speak Japanese and the online website doesn't particularly help.

Thanks in advance

It is impossible. Unless the car is 25 years old it can not be imported legally. There are no S2000s on the NHTSA's non-conforming vehicle list, and even importing for show or motorsports now must be returned and it is very very expensive. Your best bet is to find a parts car...aka a shell and have everything shipped separately, but it is still highly unlikely that you could ever register it. If you need a parts car or shell look up infinity imports international on facebook. They could hook you up with parts if need be.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by raikouS2K
Originally Posted by KingzS' timestamp='1461554288' post='23947199

Thanks in advance

It is impossible. Unless the car is 25 years old it can not be imported legally. There are no S2000s on the NHTSA's non-conforming vehicle list, and even importing for show or motorsports now must be returned and it is very very expensive. Your best bet is to find a parts car...aka a shell and have everything shipped separately, but it is still highly unlikely that you could ever register it. If you need a parts car or shell look up infinity imports international on facebook. They could hook you up with parts if need be.
Yea i've hit that roadblock before. However, I've spoken already at lengths with the DOT, US Customs and such. Since the car isn't on the NHTSA's list an importer would have to petition and show that the vehicle is very similar to a vehicle that is already sold in the US which it could then be imported with a letter from the manufacturer stating that as well. Since all S2000s were assembled in Japan I don't foresee this to be an issue. Minus ofcourse the whole emissions aspect. Im hoping to exhaust all options that dont involve a conversion. But thanks for the info, i appreciate it.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:59 AM

Oh and im not worried about the registration part. I have a friend who registered a DC5-R with no problems. As long as the paperwork is complete and accurate it can be done in my state. Again i dont mind paying for any assistance.

Thanks again