Asia S2000 Owners English speaking owners from Asia. Including Hong Kong, China, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan.

Places to go/Things to do in Japan

Old 12-07-2009, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip to Japan in the next year soo this thread is very helpful. I wanna balance the trip with car stuff and cultural things.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:33 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

where in japan are you going?
Old 12-09-2009, 07:42 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KVITO,Dec 7 2009, 08:58 PM
I'm planning a trip to Japan in the next year soo this thread is very helpful. I wanna balance the trip with car stuff and cultural things.
Good stuff! That's the purpose of this thread; I'll try to update it when I have a little more time!
Old 10-07-2012, 01:22 PM

I want to start planning a trip to Japan Land. I'm only 21 and a bit in debt so that has to go first. should be able to goo in a few, Years??, but i plan on going to Tokyo and possibly Kyoto as well. depending on my Finances obviously. Would love to see J's building. I know a few words that will help me with simple conversations. Ryokan would be awesome to stay in, but if they are better in the country side, how much of a pain would it be to go back and forth to Tokyo? I read it is a good idea to get a Train Pass before you go and to wait till you get there to do your currency exchange. Anyways, that is kind of what i had in mind as areas to visit. See ya!!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyAP1Y2K
I want to start planning a trip to Japan Land. I'm only 21 and a bit in debt so that has to go first. should be able to goo in a few, Years??, but i plan on going to Tokyo and possibly Kyoto as well. depending on my Finances obviously. Would love to see J's building. I know a few words that will help me with simple conversations. Ryokan would be awesome to stay in, but if they are better in the country side, how much of a pain would it be to go back and forth to Tokyo? I read it is a good idea to get a Train Pass before you go and to wait till you get there to do your currency exchange. Anyways, that is kind of what i had in mind as areas to visit. See ya!!

J's Racing is in Osaka. Its going to be closer to Kyoto than Tokyo. Make sure you save up a lot. Everything is very expensive. The current exchange rate is 76-77 yen per USD. This is pretty bad. I remember back in 09 when the exchange rate was 88-9X...something yen per USD. The place that we go to exchange money or actually to withdraw yen I should say is the post office (Yubinkokyu). Their exchange rates are always a little better and more up to the minute updated.

You can go to ASM in Yokohama (Tokyo). Spoon sports is also in Tokyo. Those are the places I plan to go to once my S2k is on the road. Next Spring I was planning a road trip to Kyoto, and Tokyo. I also want to go to Ise. They have a place called Sengoku Village with a replica of Nobunaga Oda's Azuchi castle. (I am kind of a Samurai, Sengoku Period fan, so its a "must go" for me.) Even if you don't get to go to all the places you want, the scenery in Japan is worthwhile itself. I really enjoy visiting the different temples and shrines and natural scenery.

Good luck planning your trip. The Japanese are courteous and helpful. I have been unaware of where I was supposed to go a few times at the train station and they always help guide the way.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:36 AM

[/quote]J's Racing is in Osaka. Its going to be closer to Kyoto than Tokyo. Make sure you save up a lot. Everything is very expensive. The current exchange rate is 76-77 yen per USD. This is pretty bad. I remember back in 09 when the exchange rate was 88-9X...something yen per USD. The place that we go to exchange money or actually to withdraw yen I should say is the post office (Yubinkokyu). Their exchange rates are always a little better and more up to the minute updated.

You can go to ASM in Yokohama (Tokyo). Spoon sports is also in Tokyo. Those are the places I plan to go to once my S2k is on the road. Next Spring I was planning a road trip to Kyoto, and Tokyo. I also want to go to Ise. They have a place called Sengoku Village with a replica of Nobunaga Oda's Azuchi castle. (I am kind of a Samurai, Sengoku Period fan, so its a "must go" for me.) Even if you don't get to go to all the places you want, the scenery in Japan is worthwhile itself. I really enjoy visiting the different temples and shrines and natural scenery.

Good luck planning your trip. The Japanese are courteous and helpful. I have been unaware of where I was supposed to go a few times at the train station and they always help guide the way.
[/quote]

Thanks for your help, i would really like to go with someone who has already been, but with me living in Kansas and only 21 i don't have too many connections yet in my life. maybe by the time i have money saved up i can go with a member on here or know some people that have been. i do plan on learning the Japanese language just cause i think it is interesting. i do a bit of research here and there to see what i may like and what to expect in the cost/time area of things. anyways, i appreciate your response, hope to go sooner than later while im still young and single .
Old 11-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyAP1Y2K
There are lots of Ryokans in the countryside; choose one that has access by train and it won't be too difficult to reach.

We never bought a train pass beforehand but we didn't stay for more than one week each time we visited.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:12 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

You actually have to buy the railpass before you arrive in Japan. Also, you can not be a permanent resident of Japan (they will check your credentials). You can purchase the pass stateside and when you arrive in Japan (assuming Narita), you can get your railpass there, then book a seat on the train out of Narita to wherever destination you are going.. If you are staying in Tokyo, you will probably need to figure out what connecting train system will take you to the vicinity of your hotel.

With the railpass, you can reserve a seat (I'd recommend it) on the shinkansen (bullet train) and take that to Kyoto... depending on where you go, you will need to use their bus system once in Kyoto btw.

Good luck!