Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Build Thread (NA Sprint Series Car)

Old 03-08-2009, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ncmx5,Mar 9 2009, 03:50 PM
I think the DS3000 need a bit of heat in them to operate properly, and since mcopley is doing sprints (cool starts), Im not sure if it will be the right pad for him. Taaxed runs DS3000 on his M3 and they squeek like a bitch on the streets. Gotta see what he thinks of them HOT/COLD performance.
Nothing a nice warm-up lap can't do to bring the pads up to its operating temperature

The reason why I suggested DS3000s is because they have been designed to withstand higher temperatures. You could probably get away with it, but they're not designed for road use - you just can't generate (legally) enough heat in them putting around on the road. This might explain the squeaking.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]
Nothing a nice warm-up lap can't do to bring the pads up to its operating temperature
Old 03-08-2009, 10:39 PM

Ahh... you get warm-up laps here

Perhaps, you could take the first lap at 80%?
Old 03-09-2009, 01:09 AM

Perhaps, you could take the first lap at 80%?
I'll give a quick explanation of the sprint format here in Perth. You get 4 runs in total each event. Your slowest run is dropped and you overall time is a total of your 3 fastest runs. You run in order, one car at a time, and there are about 30 cars in each session. So your car gets about 45 mins to cool down between each run. You queue up at the timing lights when it's about 5 cars til your run, all the while brakes and tyres are cold. When it's your turn, the lights turn green and the timer starts when you break the timing beam - it ends about 2 mins later when you finish your run and then you head back to the car park.

So as you can see, no warm-up, no first lap at 80%, every second you are out on track counts towards your time.

Always makes the first turn exciting though !
Old 03-09-2009, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mike-R,Mar 9 2009, 05:26 PM

The reason why I suggested DS3000s is because they have been designed to withstand higher temperatures. You could probably get away with it, but they're not designed for road use - you just can't generate (legally) enough heat in them putting around on the road. This might explain the squeaking.
I've used the Pmu HC+ and Endless CC-R pads on track before...both are awesome but I prefer the Pmu HC+, I think the CC-Rs are overkill for sprints and track days.

That being said they are both far superior to OEM and DS2500s, but they do require a few hard stops to warm up properly LOL

As far as the M3 goes it's carrying about 250-300kg of extra weight over the s2000 so they warm up easily on mountain runs and work perfectly from cold in the mornings.

The main reason why I prefer them in all conditions is because I like the bite and feeling you get from track pads and the squeaking doesn't bother me that much...just people at intersections when I come to a stop

I also realise that I can't really get much extra stopping performance from the DS3000s because I'm on street tyres, so I'm mainly just using them for the braking feel and because they won't fade on me...hopefully!
Old 03-09-2009, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by mcopley,Mar 9 2009, 06:39 PM
I'll give a quick explanation of the sprint format here in Perth. You get 4 runs in total each event. Your slowest run is dropped and you overall time is a total of your 3 fastest runs. You run in order, one car at a time, and there are about 30 cars in each session. So your car gets about 45 mins to cool down between each run. You queue up at the timing lights when it's about 5 cars til your run, all the while brakes and tyres are cold. When it's your turn, the lights turn green and the timer starts when you break the timing beam - it ends about 2 mins later when you finish your run and then you head back to the car park.

So as you can see, no warm-up, no first lap at 80%, every second you are out on track counts towards your time.

Always makes the first turn exciting though !
i dont quite understand the format ... are u saying that each run consists only of 1lap?? since u said that its all over in 2mins

and u get a total of 4 laps from 4 sessions ? and they drop the slowest run . sounds more like a motorkhana event
Old 03-09-2009, 05:47 PM

Your sprint format sounds a little different to what I'm used to. What kind of speeds are you getting at Barbagallo circuit?
Old 03-10-2009, 01:38 AM

i dont quite understand the format ... are u saying that each run consists only of 1lap?? since u said that its all over in 2mins

and u get a total of 4 laps from 4 sessions ? and they drop the slowest run . sounds more like a motorkhana event
Yep, something like that. 1 series per year, 7 rounds per series. Each round consists of 4 runs (i.e. 4 laps), and each lap is about 2 mins. In format it's very similiar to a motorkhana, I think they just call it a sprint because the lap is longer and the speeds are higher.

What kind of speeds are you getting at Barbagallo circuit?
Haven't been there for ages, so car was not in anything like its current form. Top speed was about the same as stock which was about 180km/h downhill, before braking for the final corner.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:42 AM

doesnt sound like a sprint series at all.. u could almost say it's like a hill climb event except its not up a hill..

the sprint series format we run in QLD consists of 1 warm up lap followed by 5 laps of the circuit then 1 cool down lap. we get 4 runs of the above but only the first 3 runs are timed. points are given for the fastest lap out of the 15 hot laps depending on what category you're in eg 4 cylinder, 6cylinder, 4wd, 8 cylinder,

with the format you are running the stock honda brake pads would be fine. you would never be able to make them fade in 1 lap
Old 03-10-2009, 06:06 AM

(Ah, FB beat me to some comments )

Thanks for clearing that up mcopley. Good luck with the series this year

Quick Reply: Build Thread (NA Sprint Series Car)