Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

My poor baby

Old 09-16-2015, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My poor baby

Thought I'd share a recent event... give people something to read on the AU forum

So a few weeks ago I took a work from home day to wait for the Telstra guy to come and install cable internet. He was scheduled to arrive in the morning but then calls me around 10 and says he won't make it until the afternoon.

So I take the opportunity to take my car out for a spin and see the Mrs for lunch. I really don't drive my car much these days and this time it had been idle in the garage for close to a month. Turned over first time perfectly (apart from the starter motor scratching sound... kinda used to it now).

Anyway, picked the wifey up, headed across the river to have lunch and then was driving her back to work. There I am, waiting at the lights to turn onto the highway and it goes green. I roll off the lights and think nothing of the 4wd on my left suddenly stopping after taking off with me. I'd just crept in front of it when out of the corner of my eye I just catch the car that had blown their red and crunch... our cars met

Checked on the Mrs and she was OK apart from a bit of shock. The lady who ran into me decided to wind her window down and tell me I had run a red . So I turned around and luckily there were 2 tradies who were at the lights and they both yelled out saying "sorry lady - you ran the red".

Anyway, so I reverse my car and pull over to see the damage...

My poor baby-wzlmomk.jpg

My poor baby-gjznxr6.jpg

My poor baby-eguqa9h.jpg

So long story short, my car is in repairs now. Thankfully they didn't write it off.

I would like to ask for some opinions/guidance though - my insurance company called to inform me that they can no longer source a brand new strut to replace my damaged one. I have 2 options.

A - they will source a 2nd hand one and recondition to put into my car
B - they will pay me the last known cost of a single strut and I can source my own/buy coilovers/whatever. Price is around $550.

Leaving it with option A is by far the easiest and laziest option however is that a silly thing to do? would having 1 reconditioned strut on my car potentially put the rest of my car off balance?

If I go and buy aftermarket the options seem bloody endless. I've narrowed down my options bassed on cost and my driving
- no track days
- just some spirited drives
- don't want to rattle my teeth off
- don't want to worry too much about McDonalds and KFC speed bumps

BC Racing BR coils seem like the go for me. Does that seem reasonable? The other options are BuddyClub N+ and RC's, All the US guys keep talking about Koni Yellows doing a decent job as well.

Any help would be awesome.

Cheers
Old 09-16-2015, 09:18 PM

sorry about your car! at least neither you or your missus were injured!

you should probably post this in the AUS2K facebook page if you want to get some opinions. The facebook page is a lot more active than s2ki these days and even AUS is a mod there lol
Old 09-16-2015, 09:58 PM

ha yeah I thought about it will do that now to see if there are more opinions
Old 10-03-2015, 10:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn, not pretty.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:53 AM

Received 1,129 Likes on 992 Posts

They're not looking very hard for parts.

http://www.hondaauto...5=FRONT+KNUCKLE

-- Chuck
Old 10-05-2015, 10:07 PM

I dunno if my insurance company/repair shop look outside of AU for parts.

Just to add to this in case anyone was wondering - I ordered the BC Racing BR RS coilovers. They arrived at the shop last week but my car is still at least 2 weeks away from getting back to me.... at least that's what the repair shop is telling me.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:26 PM

Got the car back yet? I know too well of the 'it'll be ready in 2 weeks' story from body shops.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:31 PM

nope...

still in the shop... and it'll be another 2 weeks they say.... again.

Once I get my car back, I'll let you guys know what the shop is so you can avoid. No return calls or emails for the 6 calls and 3 emails I've sent. Just continued "yep, it's waiting for a hoist to be available", "yep, its on the hoist, "yep, its just gotta get off the hoist", "sorry mate, we've just been really busy", "someone will get back to you with a qoute for the extra work".

I just want it back....
Old 11-10-2015, 02:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some repair shops can be useless. Looking forward to when it all gets fixed up.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:19 PM

Woo! got my car back.

They called me on Monday to say it was ready so I went on Tuesday morning to pick it up. I got there and the repaired bits were looking great and they even washed it for me I give it a quick once over around the car and see my window is still cracked . So I went to the front desk and asked the guy about the window. They checked their notes and yep.... it was meant to be replaced. They must have forgot.

Luckily they were able to quickly source one and they installed it straight away.

So picked her up today and drove her home in peak hour traffic. Didn't get to test out the new coilovers but they felt nice. Stock ride height and a tiny bit stiffer I think. I'll give her a wash and play around with it a bit this weekend and read the instruction manual.

Will get her booked in for her service next week and finally get my new radiator installed as well