Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

New AP1 Owner - Should I upgrade to AP2 wheels?

Old 06-05-2016, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New AP1 Owner - Should I upgrade to AP2 wheels?

Hi everyone,

So as the topic is titled, I'm the proud new owner of a 2001 AP1 and love it to bits. The previous owner had some wide after-market Enkei wheels that stuck out past the fenders that I wasn't such a fan of (didn't want to deal with rubbing), and so the stock 16" wheels were put back on prior to sale. They hadn't been used in a while, and so the seller put some cheapy no-name tyres on to pass the roadworthy.

After experiencing what I believe people on here call "snap oversteer" in the wet weather this last week, I definitely feel I need some more grip to avoid becoming another statistic!

After doing a bit of reading on here, I found a common change for more grip/traction is to fit a set of 17" AP2 wheels (215/45 front, 245/40 rear) which have an extra 1" in the rear compared to the 16" AP1 wheels (205/55 front, 225/50 rear). I'm a fan of keeping my s2000 as stock looking as possible, and I also really like the look of the AP2 V1 wheels. This also seems like a much cheaper/easier option than buying a different set of after-market wheels and having to deal with finding the correct fitment (although I've seen a pretty comprehensive thread dedicated to this).

So my question is, will I be able to see/feel much of a difference from the AP1 to the AP2 wheels, or will it just be a waste of money? I know many people fit slightly wider tyres on both sets, but I would prefer to stick with the stock tyre dimensions. Regardless of what wheels I end up going with I'll definitely be putting some performance oriented street tyres on them. The tyres I have now won't be sticking around ;P

If AP2 wheels are the way to go, how would I go about getting a set of AP2 V1's in Australia? I've seen sites like Finish Line Wheels (http://www.finishlinewheels.com/HONDA/S2000/2005/) selling them in the US for ~$200 a pop, but is there something similar in Australia? If not, would the next best option be to try and track down someone selling a used set here?

Apologies for the long post, and thanks in advance for any help or advice! =)

David
Old 06-06-2016, 03:16 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

I'm not sure if the 17" wheels and tires make that much difference but Honda worked on curing the oversteer with suspension/wheel changes every two years culminating with the 2006 models which added stability assist. 17" wheels came in 2004. A buddy has AP2V1 wheels on his 2002 car.

The AP2 wheels are a direct replacement and offer the ability to fit 255/40 tires (vs standard 245/40) to the rear of the car, the same size used by the CR model, which additionally helps limit oversteer. This is what I'd do with an earlier chassis (and am considering with my 2006 car).

Since AP2 wheels are not "correct" for your car (from a collector stand point) you have the freedom to fit any of the three versions. S2000 wheel offset is pretty unique to the car. Any aftermarket wheel needs to match the OEM offsets or you'll be rubbing somewhere.

-- Chuck
Old 06-06-2016, 05:39 AM

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts

I have a MY2000 and was able to purchase a set of used AP2V1 wheels for a decent price. They even came with decent rubber on them. The plan is to have them powdercoated and use them as Summer wheels (with Summer tires). I test fit them and the ride was noticeably better. I had no rubbing or clearance issue (and I'm lowered on Espilir springs).

I purchased the wheels through a salvage company who shipped them to my door. Maybe check in Australia for any S2000 salvage parts companies? Post a Craigslist (or similar) WTB ad? S2KI classifieds? Newspapers? I would think you should be able to find something on your continent!
Old 06-06-2016, 03:22 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have an AP1 and opted for the same course as you. AP2 wheels are a good upgrade, however I don't think you'll find much difference in wet weather handling. The dry grip is better though, and they look a lot better (in my opinion). I have a spare set of AP2V1 wheels but I'm not really keen on selling them. They do come up for sale every now and then in Australia but even then can be hard to get a set without gutter rash. They're easier to buy in the US but shipping is a killer.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:45 PM

Thanks everyone for your input =)

What I've read on other threads and what was said here has helped me decide that it's definitely something I want to do, but as Clio said the problem is going to be finding some in the first place. I guess I'll keep my stock wheels for now and keep an eye out for some nice AP2 V1's, if they become available. I won't hold my breath for a set though

I'll have a look around at the places dwb993 suggested and post a WTB in the Australian S2KI for sale/wanted section. Also, if anyone sees this thread who is happy to part with a set of AP2 V1's in Australia, let me know! =)

Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it,

David
Old 06-08-2016, 09:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It really is a taily car. And wheels and tyres won't make much difference. Same with suspension.

Best thing to do is learn how to drive it, learn it's limits and enjoy them.

I've had mine for 16 years and not wrapped it round a telegraph pole even once!
Old 06-09-2016, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by AusS2000
It really is a taily car. And wheels and tyres won't make much difference. Same with suspension.

Best thing to do is learn how to drive it, learn it's limits and enjoy them.

I've had mine for 16 years and not wrapped it round a telegraph pole even once!
Thanks for the advice AusS2000
Old 06-09-2016, 03:03 AM

Hard to come by as most will hang onto them. Will go for a pretty penny too.
I'd love a set but don't think it's going to happen anything soon.

Good luck though
Old 06-09-2016, 03:32 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

If you're really keen pm me. I have AP1, AP2 v1, v2 and v3 CR sets all in excellent condition.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:42 AM

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts

^BINGO!!!!

Lol!

Quick Reply: New AP1 Owner - Should I upgrade to AP2 wheels?