Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.
View Poll Results: Pick the winner at BIC on Sunday
Nico Rosberg
0%
Lewis Hamilton
60.00%
Sebastian Vettel
40.00%
Daniel Ricciardo
0%
Felipe Massa
0%
Romain Grosjean
0%
Nico Hülkenberg
0%
Valtteri Bottas
0%
Carlos Sainz Jr.
0%
Max Verstappen
0%
Jolyon Palmer
0%
Kevin Magnussen
0%
Sergio Pérez
0%
Jenson Button
0%
Felipe Nasr
0%
Esteban Gutiérrez
0%
Fernando Alonso
0%
Kimi Räikkönen
0%
Daniil Kvyat
0%
Pascal Wehrlein
0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

2016 FORMULA 1 BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX

Old 04-04-2016, 10:05 AM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Stoffel Vandoorne is a revelation. Bet he replaces Button or Alonso at the end of the season. I'm hoping he gets a chance to race again in China so they can see more of his racecraft on display. China in two weeks should be fun. I'm hoping the weather will have some sort of influence there.
GF_Trunkie and I were hazarding the same guess. However, CynicTrunkie took over my brain, and wonders if, because Vandoorne is a backup/dev driver (with likely a commensurate loophole-filled contract), that he won't get sniped by any number of other teams.* Vandoorne's lines were also very different at times which was also surprising, as GP2 and a few other leagues run Sakhir.

As per Ferrari helping Haas. . . the only direct proof I see of that is the "mia colpa" of the turbo performance in Jerez. Past that, I see a very symbiotic relationship between Ferrari having four data sets on the track, and a business partner who knows what to do with data sets (especially in regards to tire degradation).

Kimi drove a car. He liked it, but would have liked it more had he won. I was surprised at how verbose he was.

*No sooner do I write that, but checking Wackypedia, he's been a McLaren driver for a number of years now. Chances are good if there were a snipe, it'd involve agents and genuine old-fashioned F1 big money weasaling.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:00 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

I think if McLaren won't give him a race seat next season they may release him to go where he can find an opportunity. Just as they did with Kevin Magnussen. The team needs a good combo of young and experienced drivers. Button is untouchable when the car is to his liking but Vandoorne almost seemed Alonso-ish with how he scrapped for points. Me thinks it will most likely be a farewell to JB at the end of the season. I've been a fan of him from the early Honda years and I'd like to see him win again with a Honda. But that's probably a 'dream'

That said I also enjoyed watching Pascal Wehrlein battling at the rear in his manor. I think he has good racecraft seeing how he was last years DTM champion. Mercedes is probably keeping him in the mix as a future works team driver.

Amazing how Haas is in a strong 5th position after 2 races. Hoping they are able to keep performing all season long. Would like to see Alex Rossi race for them at some point.

Lewis is still a contender. He hasn't finished first but he has maximized his points in the face of bad luck. The wins will follow. Nico hopefully is as cheery and steely in his performance when the tide of luck goes against him.

Also hoping Ferrari resolves it's reliability issues and pushes Mercedes to the brink.