Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

2017 Sportscar/Endurance Racing Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 03:26 PM

Received 1,180 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by AE_Racer
Some recent news..

IMSA
  • While most of the 2017 spec LMP2 cars have been revealed, we are yet to see a DPi. This should change tomorrow with Mazda revealing theirs at the LA Auto Show.
  • More on the DPi's. So far Nissan is the only one with official confirmation.. However Mazda revealing theirs is confirmation enough. Cadillac are also expected to have a DPi.
  • Porsche has been working on an all new 911 RSR for GTE/GTLM. It is expected to be mid-rear engined vs rear engine. This is partly to make use of the 2016 regulation change which allow huge rear diffusers. Expect to see this tomorrow from the LA Auto Show.
  • Acura will be racing 2 all new NSX GT3 in IMSA's GTD class. Michael Shank Racing will be taking care of the cars with Acura/HPD involvement.
  • Lexus will have 2 new RC-F GT3's also for the GTD class. These will be run by 3GT Racing.
  • Mercedes, having a GT3 car for a number of years have just now been entered into IMSA. Weathertech Racing, Ben Keating (known for racing Vipers in the previous years) and SunEnergy1 are the 3 confirmed teams with an AMG GT3 so far.
WEC
  • Audi are leaving the top class (LMP1) at the end of the 2016 season.
  • Rebellion are also leaving LMP1, although they run the non hybrid class. This only leaves one entry in the non-hybrid LMP1 class (CLM - Bykolles) for next year. Rebellion have purchased 2 2017 Oreca LMP2 chassis. Its possible to see them move over to IMSA.
Any news on Corvette, such as balance of performance adjustments re Ford G T?
Old 11-30-2016, 05:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Cadillac DPi-V.R

Just waiting on Nissan unless someone else has a surprise for us..
Old 11-30-2016, 05:07 AM

Re: Corvette BoP

IMSA has another test coming up at daytona and then the Roar in January. IIRC they use these to set the initial BoP so we should see changes, probably across every car for next season.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:39 AM

Rebellion will enter one car in the TPNAEC
Old 11-30-2016, 02:42 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by AE_Racer
The Cadillac DPi-V.R

Just waiting on Nissan unless someone else has a surprise for us..
I think it looks gorgeous. I was going to post this AM, but got caught up at work. I think its nice to see another manufacturer in the IMSA fold.

Here Is Cadillac's Glorious Return To Prototype Racing

Old 12-01-2016, 09:17 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Jeff Gordon to team up with Wayne Taylor Racing for the Rolex 24

You are being redirected...
Old 12-02-2016, 01:17 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

I remember Cadillac's last venture into LMP-1. Much was printed about how they would dominate Audi, etc. I also remember the then Cadillac chassis bouncing all over Sebring trying to keep it up top on the oval, while the Audi's passed them at will. Good luck Government Motors.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
I remember Cadillac's last venture into LMP-1. Much was printed about how they would dominate Audi, etc. I also remember the then Cadillac chassis bouncing all over Sebring trying to keep it up top on the oval, while the Audi's passed them at will. Good luck Government Motors.
this time the only thing "cadillac" has done is supply an engine block and a few visual cues on the car.. With the chassis being one of the 4 spec cars built to specific regulations I don't see them having issues. if mazda cant get their engines reliable this year we may see cadillacs dominating.

Im hoping for ESM/Nissan to continue their success, though.. hopefully they dont have reliability issues.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:21 AM

WTR Cadillac

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/137119-imsa-wtr-reveals-cadillac-dpi-v-r-livery
Old 12-14-2016, 03:53 AM

Either the motor isnt in this thing, the picture is playing with my mind or the motor is alot further forward than they alluded to.

Quick Reply: 2017 Sportscar/Endurance Racing Thread