Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Auto Racing's Literature/Movie/Documentary Discussion

Old 11-11-2015, 03:49 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Here is a link from Petrolicious about 7 automotive books.
http://www.petrolicious.com/7-books-...ith-this-month

The coffee table books dont hold much interest for me. I think I will order Mark Donohue's "The Unfair Advantage". I've heard quite a bit about this book. Anyone that has read it on here? Would you care to share a review

Old 12-01-2015, 12:11 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Senna's greatest rival, Terry Fullerton speaks of their rivalry in the days before F1

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...cing-adversary

This serves as a great epilogue to the documentary about Senna and reveals what he was like before he became the focus of media attention.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

James Garner (Grand Prix) did a documentary back in the early '70s titled "The Racing Scene" and featured his AIR team during the 1970 SCCA Formula A season. I think the only place you can find it these days is for download from Amazon, and maybe some clips on YouTube.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:56 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Here is a link from Petrolicious about 7 automotive books.
http://www.petrolicious.com/7-books-...ith-this-month

The coffee table books dont hold much interest for me. I think I will order Mark Donohue's "The Unfair Advantage". I've heard quite a bit about this book. Anyone that has read it on here? Would you care to share a review

A2- I read this several years ago. Worth the read!
Old 12-21-2015, 03:18 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

^ Thanks Mark. Your post also served as a reminder that I've yet to order the book

This weekend, I watched Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman. I enjoyed the documentary and would recommend it as a must-see for all. The movie is specifically about Paul Newman the race car driver and while it has interviews with Robert Redford, and Jay Leno, their conversations are centered on Paul Newman and his addiction and determination to be as good as he can be out on the track. Other notable interviewees include Bob Sharp, Mario Andretti and Carl Haas. The movie starts of with Newman starting off by club racing with a Datsun 510 in Bob Sharp colors and then moves on to his progress, making it to the runoffs and his victories at those. His first runoff victory was in his words something that he inherited because a competitors car failed him and he was determined to win fair and square, which he did a few years down the line. The movie charts his progress to the Rolex 24 Hours and then onwards to Le Mans where he was troubled a lot by the press and the paparazzi. It is opined that he never went back to Le Mans because he did not like the attention that his presence brought to the team with press getting in the way of the team during pit stops.

The movie then tracks his tenure as a successful team owner with Newman Haas racing and all the victories that organization achieved. There is the moment of grief he encounters as he loses his son to drug overdose and it is racing that keeps him going through all of it. At one point Redford remarks that racing had taken over so much that he became a uninteresting conversation partner as he'd always talk about his cars.

While I enjoyed the movie, I wish they had more racing action. I would have liked at least one or two acts to have focused on races that marked his improvement as a driver and were crucial to pushing him further. Something like the movie Senna where they showed his first race for Toleman and then his home race in Brazil that he won. I'd also have liked at least part of it to have been in the first-person, but that probably was a big challenge given how private he was and how much he tended not to talk about his achievements in glowing terms.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Havent watched yet but "Steve McQueen: The Man and Le Mans" is available to rent or buy here https://www.wearecolony.com/steve-mcqueen/film/
Old 12-25-2015, 03:35 PM

Im a good ways into go like hell, got it for christmas.. Great read so far and highly recommend.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:28 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Not quite a documentary but a historical vignette of the race that established Senna as someone to be reckoned with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW1xk98J7kw

Here is a link to the article from Petrolicious

The next day, just before the race it started to rain. Little did his competition know that the conditions were perfect for Senna. As soon as the race began, it did not take more than half a lap for Senna to capture the lead.

While others were making fun and cutting corners, Senna was actually driving flat-out with the car, flying through bends like a stone skipping across water. He won that 12 lap race ahead of Niki Lauda, proving himself in equal machinery. Right away, John Surtees is said to have mailed a letter to Enzo Ferrari with the advice to hire Senna, if Enzo wanted to score a future World Champion. To his detriment, Ferrari didn’t take the advice.

Besides a wreath, the winning car would be retained by Mercedes-Benz and shown in the company museum; apparently, at the time Senna’s victory was an unpopular one—after all, the 24-year-old was still virtually an unknown. Cooler heads prevailed, and I’m sure Mercedes-Benz is happy that they kept the winning car; it remains at the company museum in Stuttgart to this day.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:58 PM

Now on Netflix, Jota Sport's "Journey to Le Mans". Watching now.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:54 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by AE_Racer
Now on Netflix, Jota Sport's "Journey to Le Mans". Watching now.
SO what'd you think about this documentary? I was going to watch it, but the reviews were not good and I did have other tasks to complete, so I put it off for later.

Quick Reply: Auto Racing's Literature/Movie/Documentary Discussion