Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Bernie is replaced by Liberty Media - Ross Brawn is the new Managing Director

Old 01-23-2017, 11:54 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Bernie is replaced by Liberty Media - Ross Brawn is the new Managing Director

Bernie Ecclestone has been replaced by Liberty Media. They expect to put a new structure in place.

F1 Racing News Racer.com - Ecclestone replaced by Liberty, loses control of F1

It was time for a new direction and Ecclestone had to go at some point IMO

Bernie Ecclestone has lost day-to-day control of the commercial side of Formula 1, bringing his remarkable spell in charge of the sport to an end.

With Liberty Media set to become the majority shareholder in F1 when it closes a deal to acquire 100% of Delta Topco – F1's holding company – this month, Ecclestone's position had been thrown into doubt. Originally, the 86-year-old claimed he had been asked to continue in his role for another three years by Liberty, but it is now understood the new owners want to put their own management structure in place, ousting Ecclestone.

Following approval from the FIA for Liberty to complete its takeover, Ecclestone admitted he did not know if he would remain in place to look after the commercial side of the sport, but on Monday he told Auto Motor und Sport that he was out, effective immediately.

"I was dismissed today," he told AMUS. "I am simply gone. It's official. I am no longer the leader of the company. My position has been taken by Chase Carey.

"My new position is one of those American terms. It's something like an honorary president. I have this title now, even though I don't know what it means."

Ecclestone said he still expects to appear at grands prix in an unofficial capacity.

"I still have many friends in Formula 1. And I still have enough money to afford to attend a race," he said, although he told AMUS he does not expect to retain his seat on the World Motor Sport Council.

"I doubt it," he said. "First of all, I have to talk to [FIA president] Jean Todt about this."

Carey is Liberty's newly appointed F1 chairman. However, according to recent reports, Liberty has lined up former ESPN executive Sean Bratches to oversee the commercial side of Formula 1, replacing Ecclestone.

Last edited by A 2; 01-23-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:03 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Ross Brawn is back in F1 as Managing Director of the sport. He will oversee sporting aspects of F1

F1 Racing News | Racer.com - Brawn appointed in top F1 role by Liberty
Old 01-24-2017, 05:23 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Lets hope these are all positive changes for the future of F1.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:36 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

^ so far they seem to have their heart in the right place. Chase Carey says there will be a British GP

British Grand Prix staying on the calendar, says new F1 boss Chase Carey - BBC Sport
Old 02-18-2017, 11:12 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

So, so glad Benie is gone.....it took way to long.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:26 PM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

How is the British GP in question? Its the home of F1!?
Old 02-21-2017, 07:27 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dead Serious
How is the British GP in question? Its the home of F1!?

Every F1 track is required to pay a sanctioning fee to what used to be Bernie and FOM, buy now mostly Liberty, of about $20-30 million dollars for the race. The track then tries to make a profit with ticket, merch, and concessions sales. It's a tight margin.

For most tracks, the sanctioning fee is usually paid by the government or big sponsors. Why do you think we have the middle east races? The governments have lots of money.

However, some tracks, such as Silverstone and for the most part COTA, are privately owned and/or funded, so coming up with the money is very difficult.

So difficult that they may not think they have enough to do it. Somehow, it usually works out though. Bernie though was a greedy a-hole. He would never really help a track much. Liberty though, as a company, and a sports promotion company, has already said (more or less), that they won't let the Silverstone race die. So, I'm not really worried.