Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Planning a trip to Rolex24 @ Daytona

Old 12-21-2016, 04:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Planning a trip to Rolex24 @ Daytona

I am pulling the trigger on the next event on my bucket list and will start planning a trip to the 24 hours of Daytona for January 2018. Give me all of your tips, hints and wisdom for a first-timer. where to stay, what to do, ect.

We will be traveling 3000KM (most likely flying down) to get there, so we will stay about a week.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've gone the last few years and it's about as much racing for one weekend that one can take. If you're just now pulling the trigger then you are limited on camping spots via RV but since you're flying in you can either hotel it but expect that reservations will be hard to get or you can buy a tent at a local Wal-Mart and camp outside the track for $25-$30 for the whole weekend. Another idea is to rent a commercial delivery van from Enterprise and they include 500 miles. You'll pay around $125 but you'll have transportation and a dry place to sleep. Just get a blow up mattress. I don't have any great restaurant recommendations but do check out Krispy Kreme Donuts if you're doing a night run if you've never had them. It's Daytona so there are plenty of places to eat outside the track. I'd buy the 4 day pass with the garage entrance included. They let you into the garage area and if you ask nicely the crews will normally let you inside to snap some pics. Before the start of the race be sure to walk out on pitroad when they open it up and hang out, speak to the drivers and crew. Be on the lookout for some former drivers they may be there during the weekend. Check out my previous post on this topic if you want to see more. Have fun!! I'm skipping this year's race.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by SmagsS2k
I've gone the last few years and it's about as much racing for one weekend that one can take. If you're just now pulling the trigger then you are limited on camping spots via RV but since you're flying in you can either hotel it but expect that reservations will be hard to get or you can buy a tent at a local Wal-Mart and camp outside the track for $25-$30 for the whole weekend. Another idea is to rent a commercial delivery van from Enterprise and they include 500 miles. You'll pay around $125 but you'll have transportation and a dry place to sleep. Just get a blow up mattress. I don't have any great restaurant recommendations but do check out Krispy Kreme Donuts if you're doing a night run if you've never had them. It's Daytona so there are plenty of places to eat outside the track. I'd buy the 4 day pass with the garage entrance included. They let you into the garage area and if you ask nicely the crews will normally let you inside to snap some pics. Before the start of the race be sure to walk out on pitroad when they open it up and hang out, speak to the drivers and crew. Be on the lookout for some former drivers they may be there during the weekend. Check out my previous post on this topic if you want to see more. Have fun!! I'm skipping this year's race.
i'm planning for 2018 not 2017! so hopefully i don't have issues with booking accommodations 6-10 months in advance. I'm thinking we will have a larger group, probably 6-8 people, i have recommendations from coworkers who regularly visit coco beach to stay there.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I go in a big group of friends every year. We started out sleeping in cars, trucks, whatever, then hotels, then finally acquired an rv spot, and we rent an rv and get the same spot every year now. It's all preference really and what you want to spend. We have enough in our group that go back every year to split the whole weekend between us for the rv cost and the spot. The great thing about staying at the track in an rv is once the race starts, you have a home base to go back to, to eat, sleep, bathroom, whatever...

I believe May or June is when you should start looking for rv spot if you go that route, the people that do NOT renew have until that time, then their spot gets thrown back in the mix as available. camping in the infield is pretty awesome, and you get to park inside the track. every year seems to be better and better and more exciting with new cars every year, and if you have never experienced night racing, you are in for a treat...

if your flying in, then your either renting a car or taking a taxi, so at some point everyone gets exhausted, and you end back up missing some late night excitement, it's nice to just step into your rv and take a nap, relax, then step right back into the on-track action...lol i should be a salesman for RV's....

In summery, rent an RV, get a cheap spot in the Geico West RV lot, and enjoy a full weekend of nonstop racing and the freedom to come and go as you please...

FYI - if you get an RV spot you can come in on the Tuesday before the the weekend to park, set up, hangout, party........

Last edited by 4bang6; 01-13-2017 at 06:32 PM. Reason: adding info
The following users liked this post:
dave_ (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by 4bang6
I go in a big group of friends every year. We started out sleeping in cars, trucks, whatever, then hotels, then finally acquired an rv spot, and we rent an rv and get the same spot every year now. It's all preference really and what you want to spend. We have enough in our group that go back every year to split the whole weekend between us for the rv cost and the spot. The great thing about staying at the track in an rv is once the race starts, you have a home base to go back to, to eat, sleep, bathroom, whatever...

I believe May or June is when you should start looking for rv spot if you go that route, the people that do NOT renew have until that time, then their spot gets thrown back in the mix as available. camping in the infield is pretty awesome, and you get to park inside the track. every year seems to be better and better and more exciting with new cars every year, and if you have never experienced night racing, you are in for a treat...

if your flying in, then your either renting a car or taking a taxi, so at some point everyone gets exhausted, and you end back up missing some late night excitement, it's nice to just step into your rv and take a nap, relax, then step right back into the on-track action...lol i should be a salesman for RV's....

In summery, rent an RV, get a cheap spot in the Geico West RV lot, and enjoy a full weekend of nonstop racing and the freedom to come and go as you please...

FYI - if you get an RV spot you can come in on the Tuesday before the the weekend to park, set up, hangout, party........
i was thinking i would reserve a camp site so we could have a tent to use as home base, chances are there will be some people coming that may not want to attend the race and just stay at the hotel or do something else
Old 01-16-2017, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was there for the roar before the 24 at the begging of the month for work. What surprised me is how cold it gets at the race track. I was talking to a lot of the spotters on the roof and they said that this is the coldest event they do all year. So bring warm clothes gloves and rain gear if you plan on going.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mighty_Mouse_Ep
I was there for the roar before the 24 at the begging of the month for work. What surprised me is how cold it gets at the race track. I was talking to a lot of the spotters on the roof and they said that this is the coldest event they do all year. So bring warm clothes gloves and rain gear if you plan on going.
i'm canadian, i would survive with shorts and a hoodie haha I could see it getting pretty cool in the middle of the night though!
Old 01-17-2017, 05:44 PM

Received 214 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bang6

He's absolutely right! We've been renting an RV in Orlando and driving it up and camping . We love our spot against the fence at NASCAR turn 1.
If you want to see the track up close, do the 5k on Saturday morning. Even if you're not a runner, you can walk around and take pictures.