Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

@S2KSean's Turbo AP1

Old 03-13-2013, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default @S2KSean's Build Thread

Thought I'd make this my "official" build/progress thread instead of having small parts everywhere.

Name is Sean, from Victoria BC.
Traded my '96 Integra + some cash for this '00 S2000 in May 2011 and have been spending money ever since

Picture from a day or 2 after I bought it

Week and a half after I got it... Clutch slippage. Pulled the trans out, sure enough the clutch was done so I replaced everything. Lightened flywheel, both bearings, and ACT Street Clutch kit.

After that, drove good, loved the feel of the new clutch and plans were to do some maintenance stuff and find some suspension. Until 2 weeks later...
Drove into work and as I was backing into my spot, she locked up. Pretty choked but I dropped the diff fluid and trans fluid, both pretty dirty but no sparkles or chunks. Took the drive shaft out and spun the diff by hand, didn't lock. Spun the trans by hand... lock.... Trans out... again.

Removed everything and found a couple iffy bearings so I put together a kit to replace them all, and the seals. Upon further tear down, one of the "ears" on 2nd gear syncro broke and the "ears" on 3rd are worn pretty good. What years of red-light-racing will do...
New gear sets were ordered.
More inspecting found that whomever installed the shift knob not only didn't use the locking nut, not only cross-threaded the knob on (I don't know how... ), they spun the knob on so tight they cracked the threads on the shifter itself.
Skunk2 weighted knob and Top Speed short shift kit were ordered.

Broken syncro

Seals and bearings

Some new gear sets

After the trans rebuild (from shift knob, through short shifter, new gears, bearings, seals and fluid, pressure plate, disc, and flywheel), new diff fluid, and engine oil flush, I finally got to really drive the car.

Other workleading up to now:
- Swapped in some new spark plugs, did a valve adjustment, and installed a new PCV valve.
- Shortly after all this, I replaced the brakes on all 4 corners. Someone had incorrectly installed the pads in the calipers (didn't line up the tabs) so they were all wearing tapered.
- Brand new left rear knuckle, wheel bearing, hub and axle.
- Installed air pump delete kit
- Installed windscreen
- Rebuilt the propeller shaft
- Rebuilt the starter
- Installed some Avid Racing diff mounts
- Installed new front sway bar links
- New rear oxygen sensor
- New rear tires
- Re-located coolant bottle and rad fan
- Installed hood shocks
- Replaced all 6 of the front lower control arm bushings with the Mugen replacements.
- Swapped to all black door cards
- AEM V1 cold air intake.

Up until now I hadn't been able to do anything super fun to the car that I've wanted to do. Been eyeing up wheels and coilovers for some time now but every time I get close to pulling the trigger, something else pops up.
I had just gathered money to pick up some coilovers and was in the process of picking. 3 weeks ago when I was coming home from work, I stopped to get gas and this happened.

Got backed into
Had a rental for a few days until insurance had a chance to look at it, they then gave me my car back to drive until the body shop could get it in and a week later (3 days before it went in for the work) I had a cat jump out in front of me and shatter my OEM style lip and break some bumper tabs.
Ordered a new bumper and took it in to the body shop this Monday (March 11, 2013).
I stopped in to see how it was going today.

New bumper should be in next week I imagine.

Last edited by S2KSean; 03-04-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Much respect for R&R your own transmission man

Keep going
Old 03-14-2013, 03:14 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Keep up the good work....
Old 03-14-2013, 08:24 PM

Thanks guys!
The transmission wasn't that hard to do. I thought it would be harder. The worst part about it was paying for the rebuild "kit" haha
Flywheel and clutch kit - ~$ 800
Short Shift and shift knob - ~$150
Bearing and Seal kit - ~$350
Gear Sets and fluid - ~$1300

Picking up the car from the body shop tomorrow, also got news that my new bumper will be in on Tuesday/Wednesday next week

Couple more pics of the car.

And for fun, one of my other project.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:30 PM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Jesus man this car has not been working out for you at all....hopefully after you get it out of the bodyshop you can get some wheels and coilovers that you want...and second on the tranny work, thats awesome. Let's see some new pics after she's done.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:57 PM

how do you like the shifter? It's a budget shifter compared to Moddiction and axial flow.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:27 PM

for rebuilding your own trans. mind if i ask where you got the gear set and rebuild kit from?
Old 03-15-2013, 09:16 PM

Got the car back this afternoon. Looks good. They cleaned it inside and out and polished the ever-loving-crap out of my exhaust tip haha. I'll post some pictures once the bumper gets here. Will probably be about a week or so until its fitted and painted.

I like the short shift. I needed a solution to my f'd up shift rod and shift knob and this is what I went with. Been working good for a year a half with zero problems.

All the transmission parts came from my local Honda dealer. Some stuff had to be ordered out of the states, but I let them deal with that. Everything is available through Majestic Honda, but they don't ship to Canada anymore and it was just easier for me to order from my local dealer.

Probably going to go with the BuddyClub coils. Seems like a lot of people like them, they have what I need, and the price isn't outrageous. As for wheels, I can't even decide. Too many that I like and I don't know which route to go.

Future mods include (and mainly in this order):
- Coilovers
- New AP2 soft top or a hard top.
- Wheels
- Diffuser
- Front splitter
- Rebuild diff (if it lasts this long)
- Engine mods

The first 3 will hopefully be taken care of by winter, but we'll see what kind of other curve balls this car can throw at me.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:37 AM

Crappy shot of the finished side.

And since people on the internet like pictures... The BBSs I'm doing for the project car.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:02 PM

Got the bumper in today!

Putting it on had me thinking of a saying... "Good from far, but far from good." It will take a bit of work to get it to fit nicely how it should. But I like the look and I'm happy I chose this style bumper. Will hopefully get it to paint next week.

Quick Reply: @S2KSean's Turbo AP1