Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

20civic07 NASA TTB build thread

Old 12-10-2015, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20civic07 NASA TTB build thread

Hi all,

This thread is a long time coming. I started out in the Honda world with my first car, a 92 Honda accord, bone stock. Later swapped in an h22 then sold it, got the new fa5 civic sedan si, then proceeded to the s2000. I lurked this forum while still having the fa5 but no s2k yet but finally I bit the bullet with a 08 bb ap2. I am the second owner and bought the car bone stock with 49k miles back in 2013. Since then, it's undergone a bit of a transformation.

Initially I went with the cr aero, adding on a cr wing, cr lip and amuse replica hardtop for visibility. Since then I have added a few more parts to get the car more competitive and also note aesthetically appealing (yes, I still like to have a good looking car).

For the 2015 tt season I started out with the cr aero and on nt05 tires with a buttload of points to spare but no one to compete against until the second event when three Jackson racing supercharged brz/frs decided to join the field. One had rc1 tires, one has rs3 and one had rivals. Because of the lack of my grip I lost out to the rs3 anrrc1 guy but still mustered to beat the rivals guy.

Since the second event, quite a few parts were put on and help was given along the way. The peak horsepower never changed along the way and remained at 200 whp at utah elevation on a mustang dyno. The car was not redynoed for the addition of the header as it wasnt added until the last two events. I was waiting for the following year to change exhausts so I could retune the car. I street tuned the car just to make it safe to run, and the map wasnt made for optimal power band. Changes were made with mods added and removed from the car to make the car more competitive for ttb but for the last event (final configuration of the car for 2015) the list goes as following:

Exterior/aero:
ASM is-11 rear bumper
ASM rear tow hook
ASM front tow hook
ASM fender flares
Downforce front fenders
Wasp composites front chassis mounted race splitter
Password JDM race canards
Spoon 3d gt wing with standard stands
Rockstar garage amuse replica top (oem size with larger window)
Voltex rear diffuser

Suspension:
Kwv3 with 10k swift springs
Tein spherical top hats custom machined to fit with swift springs
Karcepts front sway bar
Gt spec front strut bar
Ballade sports full spherical bushings kit
Spoon Sports front lower ball joint

Brakes:
Stoptech front and rear bbk (no ebrake)
Stoptech sr34 and sr33 pads

Engine:
Custom Hondata flashpro dyno tune by me 200 whp
3" Berk headerback exhaust
Urge designs unicorn header
Stock intake
Custom intake heat shield

Interior:
Recaro asm RSG bucket seat (driver)
Recaro asm sr7 bucket seat (passenger)
Moddiction short shifter
3" unbranded shift extender (combined with short shifter throw is similar to stock).

Tires/wheels:
Rays 57f 18x8.5 +42mm with 255/35-18 nt05 tires
Volk ce28-rt 17x10 +44mm with 255/40-17 maxxis rc1 tires

I want to thank the following companies for sponsoring and/or sourcing parts along the way which allowed me to climb to the top nabbing first place for most events following that second event:

Josh at Evasive
Patrick at URGE Designs
Go Tuning
Ziptie Dynowerks
Brian at wasp composites
Rockstar garage
Karcepts

Stay tuned for winter updates for parts coming on next year from Rockstar garage and URGE Designs
Old 12-10-2015, 08:59 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I look forward to the updates. Nice to see another TTB build. Any plans for nationals next year?
Old 12-10-2015, 09:14 AM

There's a possibility for nationals, I believe the suspension will need to change as well as tire selection. Rc1s are currently used to get contingency (won over 10 tires this year) but stickier tires will be necessary. If I played with my points and changed tire selection and suspension setup, I am confident I would drop 2 seconds on a 2 minute course.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sick car! But you still classify for TTB with all those mods??
Old 12-10-2015, 09:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 12-10-2015, 09:31 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkster009
Sick car! But you still classify for TTB with all those mods??
Lol was thinking the same thing.

Base class C, so 39 points to play with in B
Code:
+6 tires, section A.6
+2 bbk,   section F.1
+5 splitter, and canards section G.2, G.3
+4 wing, section G.4
+2 rear diffuser, section G.6
+1 rear bumper, section G.7
+7 kwv3, section E.2 and E.5
+2 sway bar, section E.7
+2 ball joints, section E.16
+5 header and exhaust, section C.22
= 36
Old 12-10-2015, 09:57 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
So if those numbers are right, the car is illegal for its class.
He mentioned whp and being on a Mustang dyno, but the only legal reclass for a RWD chassis is a Dynojet. My guess is he is on a TTC dyno reclass which would eliminate those +8 points.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:24 AM

You guys should really read the description.

Here's clarification:
I took the lip off as you can see on the photos.
Header and exhaust is only 5 points
Strut bar is a zero point mod, you need to church the rule book.

So just based on that you're already 8 points off calculation. So I'm not really sure where you're basing your points off of..

My mods changed throughout the year. You can see in the last configuration the cr lip is gone and canards are there instead.

So yes, the car is legal and has additional points to spare.

My gram lights only have nt05 tires so when I ran those I had even more points to use
Old 12-10-2015, 10:38 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

First, not trying to dog you so sorry if that came off that way.

Second, thanks for clearing up the confusion, didn't know the front tower brace is no-point mod!
Old 12-10-2015, 10:55 AM

No worries man,

I was surprised how many points the cr lip was too, that's why I took it off. I wish I could've kept it for looks because I like a balance of competitiveness and aesthetics, though most of my mods are performance driven, aesthetic consideration was taking as well.

For instance the rear bumper and diffuser imo aren't really necessary but I really liked the look of both and figured I would go tt123 at some point. If I were to compete in nationals I would likely take both off to spend the points elsewhere.

The car probably looks much faster than it is because of all the aero, but there's not much in terms of power or suspension.

Quick Reply: 20civic07 NASA TTB build thread