Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Vladyg's GPW AP2 Rebuild/Build Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 12:55 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Vladyg's GPW AP2 Rebuild/Build Thread

Hello everyone! I've owned an S2000 since 2012 and have been lurking on these forums ever since. I've always enjoyed reading through everyone's build threads so I figured its time to make my own as this is a long extensive project.

Whenever I don't own an S2000, I'm shopping for one. So I'm planning on keeping this one for a long time. The main purpose of the car will be track & local twisties duty.

A grand prix white AP2 was always my dream S2000 so after 3 attempts (Black, Red, Silverstone) it was time to make it happen.

With the current values of these cars and the plans I have for mine I couldn't justify purchasing a clean low mileage example. I started watching the insurance auctions and after a few months this gem popped up in Denver.

A 2006 white on black with 118,000 miles.

I wish I documented more of the process but I'll make due with what I have.

Going back to May of 2021, I placed my bids and ended up winning the auction for a fair deal (I think). I was having trouble finding a transporter to get it delivered to me in Seattle so I took a day off of work and drove down there myself.

24 hours later I arrived and had the car loaded onto my trailer with a fork lift. The missing pieces to the car were all in a pile next to it so I busted out the Milwaukee and put it together for the long trip home.

Look at that Montana sunrise!

Slowly parts started rolling in. I found a set of practically brand new red pole positions locally to replace my destroyed oem seats.

Also ordered the Rockstar Garage Spec Feal 441+ with 14/12 Swift Springs.

Found a brand new Stoptech BBK kit on facebook marketplace. Its the latest C43 variation.

Fast forward 6 months... I bought all of the rear suspension components from a a fella who parts out S2000's in Cali as well as a whole new front end from the dealership. The parts that came on the car were too far gone to be worth saving. Off to the body shop!

A few weeks later she was finished

Back home with my roommates Miata.

Now we are caught up to current time and the first things to address were drivability. The clutch in the car was absolute trash. It made a ton of noise, was super sensitive, and had a very short engagement point.

After dropping the transmission I found that it had a 6 pluck action clutch and with an absolutely disintegrated pilot bearing floating around in pieces. Explains everything!

All of the years of lurking around these forums convinced me to do the oem/act/ap1 flywheel combo. Found a great deal on ebay and got to work.

Unfortunately I fell victim to the infamous front subframe bolt corrosion and had to drop the subframe to drill one of them out. No fun! Turned a 2-day job into a 2-week job.

While I was in there I also rebuilt the shifter and did fresh fluids on the trans, diff, and clutch reservoir. I also did the clutch delay valve delete.

First impressions on the new clutch are great! Engagement point and pedal pressure feel OEM, super easy to drive. Also with the lighter flywheel you definitely feel the difference in how quickly the car revs up. I did not miss the clutch slip on hard shifts!! Highly recommend this combination!

After finishing up the clutch job I proceeded with buttoning up the front end. I purchased a Bayson R rep lip along with a oem weather seal and to my surprise the fitment was excellent!

Around the time I purchased the car I reached out to Evasive and ordered my dream wheels. Evasive Spec TE37SL 17x9.5+40 in Blast Bronze.

It was initially supposed to be a 3-4 month wait but with covid delays and such it took 8. I recently received them and they are absolutely beautiful. Apparently this is the last batch of the SL's as they are going to be discontinued. I wasn't a fan of the red spoke sticker on the SL so I ordered them with OG black stickers.

Old 03-04-2022, 07:30 PM

Mounted the TE's today

The following 2 users liked this post by vlads2k:
fnee (03-08-2022), freddydela (03-05-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 11:42 AM

The following users liked this post:
braddah (03-23-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 05:29 AM

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Great transformation. Love it!!!
Looks like you have not installed the new seats yet?
Old 03-08-2022, 05:45 AM

I was working on that this weekend! Still working on fine tweaking the position but here’s a picture.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:49 PM

Received 77 Likes on 67 Posts

Beautiful! You showed that thing some serious love.

Do those wheels clear the BBK without a spacer? Also, are you running massive camber up front or are you using offset bushings/adjustable balljoints?
Old 03-10-2022, 06:55 PM

Thank you! It’s been quite the project.

I haven’t installed the BBK yet but it should clear without a spacer, or so I’ve heard. I’ll post an update once installed.

I actually just got an alignment today. The only modifications to the suspension other than the coilovers is origin offset bushings in the front upper control arms. I’m running -3 degrees of camber all around and the tires haven’t made contact with the the fenders yet. Oh and I also did a roll all around, no pull.
Old 03-14-2022, 06:03 AM

Interior update. All buttoned up. Recaro PP's, Nardi wheel, Works bell hub, NSX-R horn, CR knob, and a J-F customs from UK armrest cover. The cover is very suttle, looks Oem, and goes with the seats well!

Old 03-14-2022, 06:17 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Looks great!
Old 03-14-2022, 07:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Amazing transformation dude, way to bring that car back from the dead. Assuming it was a theft recovery?

Quick Reply: Vladyg's GPW AP2 Rebuild/Build Thread