Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

daily driven Track car Build--Ap1

Old 03-10-2017, 09:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Added a much needed Kenwood Ksc-SW11 subwoofer to the car. Makes a huge difference. Now the radio is worth listening to

able to mount it inside the cabin right by transmission tunnel on passenger side

video of sound with sub to come soon.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

best use of the cargo net yet
The following users liked this post:
willix231 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by cruc1a7
best use of the cargo net yet
lol....couldnt figure out a better way to mount this thing without drilling into the car. I added zip ties to one side to extend it enough to fit the subwoofer snug!
Old 04-07-2017, 09:27 PM

Got a chance to run the car at Mid America Motorplex(race park of the midlands) in Iowa. In the morning temperatures were in the low 40s eventually getting to 60s in the evening. This gave me a chance to evaluate both the suspension and new tires as well as breaks.

I will start with the tires, when I first went out on the rs4 they didn’t grip right away. The car felt like it was squirming too much on the tires and body roll wasn’t well controlled with dampers set at 16 clicks from soft all around.

I did an out lap and then 8 flying laps before pulling into the pits. At this point I wasn’t happy with how it felt. I looks at the tires and the front were scrubbed in a bit but rears weren’t yet showing signs they had run properly on track. I let the car cool off for a few minutes and went back out to start leaning on the tire some more to actually get it to bite into the ground more. With the increased stiffness(20 clicks) from the coilovers the rs4 responded even more and pretty soon the squirmy feeling went away. Even though this is stock ap1 sizes(205/55/16 and 225/50/16) the side wall is firm and doesn’t roll on itself. It feels firm yet complaint. Grip was definitely better than the cooper cs5 ultras I run last time. See a trace of a G circle comparing both tires. Hankook Rs4 in red, Cooper CS5 ultra touring in blue

The car definitely put down power very well. Exiting corners is a lot easier with these tires compared to the cs5. There was a guy who brough an e46 m3 coupe to the track. He run an old set of Nitto Nt05 in the morning and then in afternoon put on a new set of rs4. He set is personal best at the track ever,I think he said the difference was about a second but don’t quote me on that. I have also attached some data from aim solo, notice the Gsum value is higher for the Hankook rs4 vs Cooper Cs5. I know there are some places I lost time and need to refine things more to go faster.

Here is the fastest lap I set, 1:52.3 on the RS4 compared to a 1:55.5 on the CS5 ultra

Old 04-14-2017, 06:56 PM

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

I'll have to get a hold of you when I come out for a track day. Looking to hit up a Fast Friday so I don't have any schedules. You're getting better, but I'll post a comparison on similar tires, maybe it can be of some help. I know you've seen it, however, I like to do side-by-sides:

S2000 - Raceway Park of the Midlands - Boo Bash 2015 vs. 1min52 3 MAM april 7 hankook rs4 by VJ aphrocarlin | YouTube Doubler | Mashup Helper
Old 04-14-2017, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
I'll have to get a hold of you when I come out for a track day. Looking to hit up a Fast Friday so I don't have any schedules. You're getting better, but I'll post a comparison on similar tires, maybe it can be of some help. I know you've seen it, however, I like to do side-by-sides:

S2000 - Raceway Park of the Midlands - Boo Bash 2015 vs. 1min52 3 MAM april 7 hankook rs4 by VJ aphrocarlin YouTube Doubler Mashup Helper

I appreciate that jason, let me know when you are coming out so i can be there too. Give me as much heads up as possible. I could use a ride along in your car to see what you do different. I know i havent reached the limit of the rs4 yet. The tire isnt squeeling at all so im not yet close to its limit in most corners. And ive tried that link but its not working. BTW i figured out the guy who knew you. Its joh beck with his porche 911. previously i think he had a black porsche cayman s
Old 04-14-2017, 07:39 PM

Oh yeah, I know John pretty well. Good dude! He kept trying to chase my time in his Cayman S, but couldn't quite get there.

He's got a YouTube channel as well: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ2...RAvgen3KLzQi7g

For my link, after you click it, remove the s2ki bullshit and the "s" out of https. Then it works.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:21 PM

Oh yeah, I know John pretty well. Good dude! He kept trying to chase my time in his Cayman S, but couldn't quite get there.

He's got a YouTube channel as well: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ2...RAvgen3KLzQi7g

For my link, after you click it, remove the s2ki bullshit and the "s" out of https. Then it works.
Yeah ive seen his channel. he has some cool toys, i got the video to come up. you are super quick in the corners. I definately realize that going with oem size tires is a bit of a compromise. But i will work with it for now till i get back to west coast at end of year and start saving up for wider wheels. You should make a trip out there some day. the tracks are amazing.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:44 PM

I'm sure I'll make it out there. One of my longest friends is a Vehicle Dynamics Engineer for Tesla out there, started earlier this year. He's fast as f*ck and helped me dial in my car. He's got some track records out there at NASA Nationals wins and with only his first times being out on the tracks he was at.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:10 AM

I'm sure I'll make it out there. One of my longest friends is a Vehicle Dynamics Engineer for Tesla out there, started earlier this year. He's fast as f*ck and helped me dial in my car. He's got some track records out there at NASA Nationals wins and with only his first times being out on the tracks he was at.
what does your friend usually track?

Quick Reply: daily driven Track car Build--Ap1