Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Dave@Canibeat.com's Laguna Blue Project

Old 05-25-2012, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. That is way to much work on the fenders to fit those wheels. All of that could have been done with a roller, heat gun, hammers, and fender finisher for about 100$. Why did you go to such extreme lengths for the fender work when it was not necessary?
Old 05-25-2012, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love that Amuse front bumper! Looks like a ton of quality work too.

The black metal around the driver and passenger side window comes off really easy, peel the weatherstrip off, a few screws an only two nuts hold them on. I bought an NFR OEM top and had it resprayed Silverstone. I had the rear window left in too.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by spunkysandoval
Wow. That is way to much work on the fenders to fit those wheels. All of that could have been done with a roller, heat gun, hammers, and fender finisher for about 100$. Why did you go to such extreme lengths for the fender work when it was not necessary?
Probably because he didn't want his fenders to look like garbage like 90% of the S2000's out there. I admire the extra step Dave took to make everything look as close to OEM as possible but still functional with his goal. Car looks great Dave
Old 05-25-2012, 09:45 AM

I do fender work on S2ks nearly every day and they all leave looking OEM unless they had previous damage. I understand if he can't find a good fender person out there. It just seems excessive to have to repaint the entire car for fender work IMHO. Also, it looks like his body guy flared the entire front fender. This means that the front bumper alignment with the fender isn't going to be like OEM.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by S2k007
Wow, looks like a lot of work. I wish I knew someone at a body shop. Bet you got a good deal.
After having bad luck with my previous cars at local body shops I am happy to have a friend who does good work, even if he is two hours away. But believe me I still pay good money for his time and work... In my experience you get what you pay for.

Originally Posted by SvkBBS2k
Wow man, that seriously a serious body shop. I've never seen that lever of care and perfection out of any work I had done on my car. May e one day I'll hit you up for his number.
He treats his customers cars like his own (and believe me his own car is immaculate), unfortunately that can't be said about most mechanics or painters anymore. Let me know if you ever want his contact information, his shop is located in MD.

Originally Posted by rocksalt
Can't wait to see it finished! coming along awesome man
Thanks man! Should have it back home next weekend and then the Recaro's go back in and the side diffusers go on.

Originally Posted by KillerBlackbird
I love that Amuse front bumper! Looks like a ton of quality work too.

The black metal around the driver and passenger side window comes off really easy, peel the weatherstrip off, a few screws an only two nuts hold them on. I bought an NFR OEM top and had it resprayed Silverstone. I had the rear window left in too.
Thanks man! He was able to get under those gaskets and metal pieces with the help of the lift tape, but that's good to know!

Originally Posted by Redsox01
Originally Posted by spunkysandoval' timestamp='1337966553' post='21729566
Probably because he didn't want his fenders to look like garbage like 90% of the S2000's out there. I admire the extra step Dave took to make everything look as close to OEM as possible but still functional with his goal. Car looks great Dave
Exactly... Thanks Jim!.

Originally Posted by spunkysandoval
I do fender work on S2ks nearly every day and they all leave looking OEM unless they had previous damage. I understand if he can't find a good fender person out there. It just seems excessive to have to repaint the entire car for fender work IMHO. Also, it looks like his body guy flared the entire front fender. This means that the front bumper alignment with the fender isn't going to be like OEM.
You must have missed a few pictures or just not read a single thing I wrote. I clearly didn't paint the entire car just to do the fenders, I did much more. I have my own Eastwood fender roller and I have rolled countless fenders before. I cut the fender liner tabs, rear bumper mounting tabs, and rolled the fenders on the car prior to dropping it off for paint and they still looked OEM. The inner fender lip was completely flattened before paint and the fenders have a subtle/gradual flare and still line up perfectly with the OEM bumpers and they have been repainted and coated with Por15 rust proofing in the fender wells. If you can roll fenders perfectly flat without cracking any paint all while maintaining a perfectly even flare with a "roller, heat gun, hammers, and fender finisher for about 100$" then more power to you. I would never take a hammer or an Eastwood fender finisher to my fenders without repainting them.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:41 PM

^ You don't know who SpunkySandoval is or you wouldn't be getting into an argument about fenders with him.

That being said the car looks great. I too, don't understand why you're painting the whole car, but your money. Whatever makes you happy. I am sure the build will be everything you want and more, and thus far has been a pleasure to see come to fruition. Thanks for the updates.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:23 AM

I'm sorry if I offended you with my remarks. I was simply trying to understand why you went to such extreme lengths to finish your fender work. Take it easy
Old 05-26-2012, 08:42 AM

Excellent build thread so far...definitely a love-hate situation for me tho..take a perfectly good looking Laguna and do all this bodywork...but on the otherhand I have a feeling it'll end up looking just as nice as your SI. Keep it coming!
Old 05-26-2012, 09:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great project! Interesting info about the Accord rear door handles but good to know if ever I wanted to get rid of the keyholes
Old 05-26-2012, 11:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice S and great mods . And nice Amuse bumper .

Quick Reply: Dave@Canibeat.com's Laguna Blue Project