Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Dreaming_S2k's Painfully Slow Build Thread - Supercharger Tuned 7/22

Old 03-04-2014, 07:12 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Post Dreaming_S2k's Painfully Slow Build Thread - New Parts Incoming - 4/10/17

Hello there everyone!

I figured it was time to post up a build thread even though there isn't much done just yet. I've owned the car for about 4.5 years now, and while pretty much everything that's been done to the car is fairly subtle, I feel it's been enough up to this point to warrant documenting some of the changes. And away we go...

There were a few months spent finding this particular car. I knew I wanted as new and as low miles as I could afford, it had to be white (no exceptions) and it had to have at least red/black 2-tone interior, if not full red interior if I went AP1. I eventually found the one I was looking for around 1,000 miles away from me in Texas. I made proper plans and went to pick her up. This is unfortunately the only 1-2 shots I have from that trip:

The guy that I bought it from was very nice. He ended up basically throwing in a brand new set of KWv3 for free because he "didn't feel like uninstalling them to part them out" and still sent me home with the stock suspension. I also left with 3 quarts of brand new Honda MTF and a brand new TCT that he had bought in case the original one went bad at some point. The car even had all the CR interior bits upgraded (I hadn't realized that when I agreed to buy it). He sent the original black pieces with me as well.

It didn't take long for me to start getting into it...17x8/9 RPF1's were first:

Part of me still wishes I'd have kept it as it was right there. As many of you well know, couldn't leave good enough alone... I ended up buying a pair of 17x9.5 +38 RPF1s for my rears, and put the 9 +45 in the front. I actually don't have many pictures of this setup. I learned a LOT about what works and what generally doesn't as I worked through getting that setup to "work." I ended up cheesing one of my front fenders pretty bad, so there was only one thing left to do:

Had a good friend (DrJekyll) get out the hammer and dolly, and start beating them up. The above picture is the end result after stopping by the body shop. I also had the front bumper shaved and a clear bra installed while it was in. As you can see, the fronts ended up a tad weak / too safe for my taste. It's always been my goal to push the limits of function, giving me both form and drive-ability simultaneously. Somewhere in there I installed the Coastal Metals front lip protector, I don't really remember exactly when.

Here is another picture:

Eventually I ordered another pair of the 17x9.5 +38, and went 245s in front, and kept the 255's in back:

Once again, should have just left the car alone. Every car I've ever had has been very clean/close to OEM with a few minor modifications. This was never by choice, but rather because I ended up too broke to do anything else. With this car, I wanted more. I started with a Greddy SE dual.

The next set of changes were the biggest yet, and it felt good because they kinda all happened at the same time. I knew I wanted a rear diffuser, but I didn't really like any of them with the AP2 rear except the Voltex...and I wasn't going to be able to afford all that. I ended trading a guy my exhaust for his HKS 75mm single (plus cash on his end), bought an AP1 rear bumper, a Forbidden J's style diffuser, 255's for the front wheels, and a Downforce front lip. I got it all buttoned up in time for the IA Spring Meet last year...only to be forced to park in the grass

It ended up like this:

And some of my favorite shots when it was like that:

Since then, I hit a tractor-trailer tire on the interstate and practically shattered the Downforce lip everywhere. I've decided not to get another for now, as I think I'm going to try and grab an ASM front bumper with the carbon lip. The car is finally not my DD, so it's able to sit in the garage and not get messed up from commuting. The car is still as it appears here, sans carbon lip.

255's in front:

So you can see the diffuser better:

I mostly wanted to make this thread to document past progress for myself as well as show the small improvements that I'll make as I go. I still want to do some more, namely FI, but who knows when that will happen. The build will continue as slowly as it's been thus far. Thanks for checking it out!

Last edited by Dreaming_S2k; 04-10-2017 at 05:14 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still the only s I've seen that really pulls off rpf1s perfectly. Can't wait to see your build grow. Gonna be some really sick s2ks in Charlotte area here soon
The following users liked this post:
Dreaming_S2k (04-10-2017)
Old 03-04-2014, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work evan
Old 03-05-2014, 07:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Love your car man, looking forward to your progress
Old 03-05-2014, 08:26 AM

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Glad to see you made a thread....love the AP1 rear and diffuser !!

You were actually one of my top inspirations when I was moving to a 17x9.5+38 - 255 square set up ...
Old 03-05-2014, 08:26 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Looking good man!
Old 03-05-2014, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by juntsky
Still the only s I've seen that really pulls off rpf1s perfectly. Can't wait to see your build grow. Gonna be some really sick s2ks in Charlotte area here soon
Thanks man, means a lot. You and me both looking forward to the progress...

Originally Posted by DougEFresh
Nice work evan
TY Doug. I can't hang with your baller parts

Originally Posted by s1mba
Love your car man, looking forward to your progress
Appreciate it! I LOVE your car too. You need to give me your seats be sure to post pictures when you get those wider wheels up front Don't be scared of the fender work!

Originally Posted by chrisaltima
Glad to see you made a thread....love the AP1 rear and diffuser !!

You were actually one of my top inspirations when I was moving to a 17x9.5+38 - 255 square set up ...
Awesome! It's rather inspiring to know I inspired someone...easy to get down on one's own car sometimes, especially when that person feels like progress has stagnated. The community and friends are the main reason I didn't sell mine a couple years ago.

Originally Posted by //steve\\
Looking good man!
Thanks Steve! one of these days I'll get back to Richmond and bring the car with me.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you rub at all on hard tunes being that low in the front with 255s? We have a similar height/setup but I am on 245s. Im hoping I can track/autocross on 255s without rubbing
Old 03-05-2014, 12:08 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

One of these days I'll get down your way and pay the NC guys a visit. Maybe a nice weekend in the spring. Give me an excuse like rollbar install to get down there
Old 03-05-2014, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by B Ma
Do you rub at all on hard tunes being that low in the front with 255s? We have a similar height/setup but I am on 245s. Im hoping I can track/autocross on 255s without rubbing
Truthfully, yes I do some on hard cornering or dips during regular cornering. I believe this is more due to how soft the damping/springrate is on KWv3. If you run something closer to 10k-11k (or higher) I really do not believe you will have this issue. I do not rub the outside arch of the fender, it's more an issue with vertical clearance under suspension compression. Since I don't track my car, I'm actually planning on going to FA510 coilovers and ordering 14k springrates.

Quick Reply: Dreaming_S2k's Painfully Slow Build Thread - Supercharger Tuned 7/22