Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Everyone, meet Valerie

Old 01-08-2016, 04:20 PM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Everyone, meet Valerie

Sup guys.

I thought I'd finally put together a build/introduction thread after lurking here for a few years. I post on the SoCal/San Diego Facebook pages occasionally but haven't really interacted with the community outside of that. Also, naming cars after women is dumb, but my girlfriend gets a kick out of naming the "mistress" so here we are

I've always been enamored with the S2000 but started my automotive journey with this gorgeous little heap:
Attachment 174757

A few years, autocrosses, and boring appliances later I finally got my first "real" car:
Attachment 174758

At the time I really wanted a S2000 but the M3 was too cheap to turn down and was an absolute joy to drive. Threw on Ground Control coilovers, a Stromung exhaust, and started going to the local SCCA events at Qualcomm Stadium with some friends:
Everyone, meet Valerie-zylkg1j.jpg

Sadly, my time with Mindy the M3 was cut short on 12/26/2015 while I was driving beyond my limits on a back road. I was heartbroken but managed to make several thousand on the insurance payout, and my career was in a stable spot so this past March I took the plunge and picked up a 2006 S2000:
Everyone, meet Valerie-b1fcuoz.jpg

Enjoying the LA sunshine:
Everyone, meet Valerie-4yfeay1.jpg

Spent lots of time cruising top down on CA coast and scaring the absolute shit out of my girlfriend. The S2000, in stock form, felt far more capable than my old M3, though at this point I was still fairly afraid to push the car since the mental scars from my accident were still fairly fresh. I started autocrossing again rebuild my confidence and really learn the car. My E36 had a tendency to push and was a fairly easy car to drive. Valerie on the other hand punished ham-fisted driving. The car has really helped me smooth out my inputs and focus on minor corrections. At this point I'd fallen in love. In short time I picked up a berk HFC, flashpro, and a Forbidden CF Mugen replica with two-piece brakects (awesome guys, great product) and starting taking road trips for the sake of driving:

SR33-easily one of my favorite roads in Southern CA. Always empty and the views are beautiful.
Attachment 174762

Panoramic Hwy heading south towards SF. Took Hwy 1 on my way up north and I have to say I'm a little jealous of you bay area guys. You might have the better roads.
Everyone, meet Valerie-wasqcka.jpg

Attachment 174764

And that's how she currently sits. I plasti-dipped the wheels a metallic gunmetal color that is a fairly close match to the CF hardtop in most lights. I like it but I think I'm gonna go bronze whenever I eventually get new wheels. I installed a Puffo intake a few weeks ago and I'm currently waiting for my T1R 70 EM dual to get in before I get the car tuned. I don't have anymore mods planned for the rest of the year as I feel that money would be better spent on autocross fees, tires, and hopefully a visit or two to Buttonwillow

Oh, and I got this from my girlfriend for Christmas.
Everyone, meet Valerie-xrblnnm.jpg
Old 01-08-2016, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice. car looks grate beautiful roads to have in your backyard
Old 01-08-2016, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very clean
What are your future plans for it?
Old 01-08-2016, 08:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome! I miss driving the canyons
Old 01-08-2016, 09:27 PM

Thanks

Originally Posted by s2000.ap1
Very clean
What are your future plans for it?
I might pick up a 70mm HFC cat before I install my exhaust since I'm still uncertain about having a daily driver with a test pipe and then it's just saving up for wheels, coilovers, and eventually refreshing the paint (can't tell in any of the pictures but it's got a few bad spots). It's a toss up between TC105Ns or PF01s for the wheels and I'll probably go the Ohlins route for coils. The HKS SPs sound interesting but I've never ridden in a car with HKS coils and I'm not a fan of buying a product before trying.

This is the realistic goal at least
Old 01-09-2016, 04:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ohlins are awesome highly recommended!
Old 01-11-2016, 08:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice car, black car always look nice but it's a PITA to maintain...

May I ask what's the meaning behind your screen name? I'm just curious b/c that's my wife's name and she's born in '83 also
Old 01-12-2016, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by EricLee7481
Nice car, black car always look nice but it's a PITA to maintain...

May I ask what's the meaning behind your screen name? I'm just curious b/c that's my wife's name and she's born in '83 also

It's a joke/nickname from my college fraternity. I considered making a new account once I started posting but it was just easier to keep this one despite the stupid history behind it.

And I kind of regret getting a black car; I don't have a garage so it's always a little dirty.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:49 PM

Updates:
-Some asshole keyed the whole left side of my car, kicked in my passenger fender, and broke my passenger mirror Since insurance is going to be repainting/replacing 4 of the exterior panels and doing a bit of blending I'm just going to get the whole car repainted. Gonna wait until I have off-street parking but it's going to be nice and pretty

-Autocross in the rain is a lot harder than I expected. Only got one clean run and even then I was way off pace

-Despite my inability to keep my car pointed in the right direction I bought my first baller part. Maybe these will make up for my driving skills?
Everyone, meet Valerie-0jrmpw1.jpg
Old 03-17-2016, 12:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about the keying... that sucks. Can't imagine the rage within the moment you see it.

What colour are you planning on getting it painted? Since you're not having fun with black might as well do something different, might I suggest techno violet BMW? It would kind of tie it back to your E36 M3 roots too

P.S. I was the one who on Reddit who asked about the mousepad, hello again from your fellow bean counter here

Quick Reply: Everyone, meet Valerie