Impractical but fun Daily Driver build in Sydney - Page 2 - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Impractical but fun Daily Driver build in Sydney

Old 02-08-2017, 04:55 PM   #11

Stock seats are too heavy, and being held in well and therefore light on the wheel is important to me, so I've fitted a pair of carbon Pole Positions. I made up my own mounts using a pair of sliders I already had and some 4.5mm flat bar. The passenger seat is fixed.

And a quick shot of the semi completed interior. I re-carpeted myself, trimmed the armrest in suede, and have deleted all airbags and the airbag computer. Quite a bit of weight saved. The steering wheel will be changed to a Mugen with a spacer.

I also did the Steering torque sensor electronics swap ( new electrical part on my existing torque sensor) and was finally able to complete the steering centre reset procedure, so I'm confident my steering is now sorted. I'll drive it this weekend to confirm.

Cheers

Earlysport
Earlysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #12

While this car is really a track car in disguise, I will actually daily it so I need some tunes. Again lightweight must prevail. I've fitted a pair of CDT carbon midbass in the doors, with just a little dynamat to dampen the immediate area. I quite like Aurasound Whisper 2" wideband drivers, so went for an A Pillar re-work to mount them, Keeping them up high is preferred particularly with the top down. I'm using an Alpine car play head unit with time alignment so all speakers will be aligned for the driver.

Mocking up the desired location and aim in the A Pillar

Fibreglass and filler

I've got a decent amount of suede in the car so decided to flock these to match. Trimming them due to the shape would have also been really difficult. Here they are complete and installed. I've also trimmed the airbag cover panel in suede -it might improve the sound a little and looks good to me.

And driver side. Also note i've now fitted my Mugen steering wheel with a 50mm spacer.

Cheers

Earlysport
Old 02-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #13

No Stereo system is complete without a sub, but again my challenge is how to not add weight. I'm leaving the spare and tools out of the car for all but the longest trip, so the goal is keep the weight at less than the spare and tools. I've chosen an entry level JL 12" specifically due to it's light weight, and decided to use the factory well as my enclosure. a 16mm stepped MDF top panel forms the baffle and a location for the amp to mount. I've got a 5 channel Class D Soundstream which is light, compact, and let's me run the system full active.

The baffle needed to be assembled in the car as it's a neat fit under the step of the factory well, and then it's glassed into place to seal it. My power wire runs under the car in the OEM wire channel and comes up into the well.

The box is braced to the floor of the well like so..

If I need to glass the well to strengthen it I can. I think it will be OK. This isn't an IASCA car, but I do want it to sound good.

The double Din head unit will go in the factory location, obviously ditching the OEM radio door and surround for a custom one.

Cheers,

Earlysport
Old 02-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #14
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlysport View Post
I quite like Aurasound Whisper 2" wideband drivers,
Hey, I recognize those drivers! A while back I sold a kit to install those drivers in place of the OEM roll hoop speakers found on the later model S2000s. They were a big improvement over stock, but unfortunately a lot of work and the drivers themselves were pricey so I stopped making them, though I still get inquiries about that project every couple months. Aura and Tang-Band are two of my favorite speaker manufacturers, they do some very innovative things with small drivers.
Modifry Products is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:43 PM   #15

The whispers look pretty cool I think too. I had a pair of CDT HD2 widebands in my last car and they were nice, but needed a lot more EQ. I've got a Mosconi DSP I may fit in the S2000 too if the Alpine's built in EQ can't get the result I want.

Good audio is a must even if I feel like most of the time I'm listening to podcasts on my commute! (DWA :-))

Cheers

Earlysport
Old 02-12-2017, 09:53 PM   #16

I thought for a while about a different front bar, as the factory AP1 bar was in pretty poor shape and I hate repairing plastic. I really like the Amuse bar but they're really pricey here in OZ. I ended up picking up one of these

The Buddyclub front bar that is. I liked it overall and it's really light, however that enormous front lip had to go. I sectioned a full 2.5" off it, leaving a more reasonable lip and more suitable to a DD and driveways etc.
Here's the lip after first slicing it up..

The front section I ended up kind of inserting into the main part to create a really strong lip and just under half the size it originally was. I then glassed it all up and ended up spending way too long glassing
in pieces and using filler to create a decent shape to the edges (where the vertical extension originally is).

I also ended up filling in the fake vent depressions on each side - more fibreglass and more sanding... I also had to do a lot of work on fitment - it's still not great to be honest but it's acceptable for a DD / track car.

I ended up putting a lot of hours into this bar, but at least it's now a unique piece and I think will look pretty good. I'm going to use the outer vents as brake vents, the left hand inner vent will feed the air intake,
and I'll cap the other inner vent with a piece of carbon. Not sure if I'll paint the lip body color (black) or do it in flat black. I can decide later.

Cheers,

Earlysport
The Following User Says Thank You to Earlysport For This Useful Post:
S1 S2 (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #17

I am in Sydney as well. Amazed by your build.
qinbill is offline   Reply With Quote