Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Kenny_Stang's build thread: GPW content inside!

Old 05-11-2016, 07:55 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Kenny_Stang's build thread: GPW content inside!

Here is the current modification list as of May 2018

2006 Honda S2000 Grand Prix White / Black Interior

Suspension
• Bilstein PSS9 Coil Overs
• Swift 10K/9K Springs
• Eibach Front Sway Bar
• Energy Suspension Polyurethane Sway Bar Bushings
• Hard Race offset ball joints

Exterior / Aero
• OEM Hard Top
• OEM CR Bumper and lip
• Singular Motorsports hood vents
• Voltex Type 7 GT Wing 1500mm
• S~Factor Fabrication Racing Aluminum Splitter
• Sparco tow strap

Engine
• Science of Speed Novi 1200 Supercharger
• Science of Speed 3.8” blower pulley
• Comptech Aftercooler
• Science of Speed Racing Heat Exchanger
• KoyoRad Radiator
• Alloy Craft Radiator Cooling Plate
• Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors
• Science of Speed 4-bar MAP sensor
• Mishimoto 19 row thermostatic oil cooler
• Schmuck Built Catchcan Coolant Overflow
• Circuit Hero Coil Cover

ECU / Tuning / Datalogger
• Hondata FlashPro
• AIM Solo

Interior
• AutoMeter oil temp gauge
• AEM FailSafe UEGO wideband/boost gauge
• AutoMeter dual gauge pod
• Corbeau Forza Sport seats
• Ultra Shield 5 pt harnesses
• Momo Monte Carlo 350mm steering wheel
• NRG Short Hub / Quick Disconnect
• RockStar Garage X roll bar
• Modifry Shift Beeper
• JPM Coachwerks Alacantra shift boot
• Modifry Radio bracket
• Gutted Soft Top

Exhaust
• PLM header
• Invidia 70mm test pipe
• Invidia N1 single exhaust

Wheels / Tires
• Forgestar F14 17x9 +58 wheels
• 255/40/R17 Hankook Ventus TD tires
• ARP wheel studs
• Honed Brake vents
• PowerStop Track Day brake pads

Drivetrain
• Science of Speed Sport clutch
• Science of Speed lightweight flywheel
• Renegade Motorsports brass shifter bushing

Audio
• Alpine CDA-117 headunit
• Infinity Kappa Perfect components
• Infinity Kappa Perfect 10" subwoofer
• Darkside sub 10” trunk well enclosure
• PowerBass 640w amp
• Modifry DCI
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

History and background on the car:
Hello all, I've been a long time member of the forum, and have owned an S2000 for the better part of a decade. My story starts with my Silverstone 2001 Honda S2000 that I bought in 2003. The car had ~15,000 miles at the time and had some small cosmetic modifications made by the previous owner (who I did not know as the car was purchased from CarMax).

Here is a picture from when I first got the car, I won't go into great detail on this car, but I modified it mostly for aesthetics (springs, wheels, audio). After my kids were born I sold this car for something slightly more practical and a backseat.

Five years passed and I never strayed too far from the S2000 or the community. It was still my favorite car I had owned, and I knew someday I would be back. In late summer of 2012 I once again started looking for another S2000, this time I was focused on buying a Grand Prix White, with my preference being the 06+ AP2 for the ease of tuning with FlashPro and the all black interior (which I prefer over the red, tan, and red/black).

I got lucky and quickly found a local member selling his mint 2006 S2000 with OEM hardtop. I had always liked the hardtop, but never considered buying one due to the associated costs, but once I saw the car in person I knew I had to have it.

The car had the following modifications when I bought her:
  • OEM Hard Top
  • Enkei PF01SS in matte black 17x9 +60 square
  • Dunlop Direzza Star Specs (255/40/R17 square)
  • CR front bumper
  • K&N FIPK
  • Tein S-Tech Springs
  • Greddy Spectrum Elite dual (v1)
  • Moddiction Knob
  • Gutted Soft Top
  • Unkown Strut Brace
  • Unkown Drilled Rotors

Overall I was very happy with the car and how it drove, but I really wanted to dive into the tuning capability of the AP2 DBW cars, so my first modification was buying FlashPro and getting the car tuned by the FlashPro guru Gernby. For any of you 06+ owners, I highly recommend FlashPro and Gernby's eTune!

After FlashPro, no major changes were made, tires were changed to the new Dunlop Direzza Z2's when those became available.

During the holiday's I decided to tackle an issue that had bugged me from Day 1, the previous owner had painted the calipers red with some high temp spray paint, which had started to flake and looked terrible

To fix this, I bought G2 Enamel Caliper paint as well as S2000 vinyl graphics from StreetGFX.com (no longer in business), I also took the time to grind off the casting marks from the caliper to clean up the calipers and give them a custom/aftermarket look you typically see in some of the BBK.

Last edited by Kenny_Stang; 04-30-2018 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Updated image links with Flickr
Old 05-11-2016, 07:56 AM

In 2013 came across a great deal on a used Comptech Supercharger (Novi 1000) that I really couldn't pass up (thanks Brad/8000RPM!). Decided to scoop it up and go down the rabbit hole of Forced Induction!

To make sure that the supercharger would be reliable in the blistering Texas heat, I reached out to Science of Speed for their racing heat exchanger as well as the Koyo radiator.

Along with the cooling being addressed, went with the Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors, and upgraded to the 3.4" pulley (9psi on the AP2) and its corresponding belt

Also bought the AEM FailSafe gauge with the combined Boost and AFR in one gauge, and the Science of Speed single gauge pod

Rather than weld in additional bung, I also bought the PLM header which comes with two bungs.

Lastly, as I knew the stock clutch wouldn't hold the increase power and torque, I also bought the Science of Speed Sport clutch with OEM bearings, and SOS lightweight flywheel.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:57 AM

The Supercharger install went off mostly without many issues, I was missing one of the brackets for the SOS Racing Heat Exchanger which rather than waiting a few days to get one shipped from them, I decided to fabricate.

While installing the Supercharger I read many threads of what others had done, and one of the things many mentioned was upgrading the water pump that came with the Comptech standard heat exchanger to the Cobra/Bosch water pump

I ran into some snags while routing the heat exchanger, thanks to the folks in the FI section, they got me straightened out

Instead of hacking up the OEM Fuel Injector harnesses, I bought the Plug and Play harnesses from Science of Speed, there has been some speculation of issues with the PNP harnesses, but I have never had any issues.

Finally with some help from my wife and her much smaller hands, we had the Supercharger installed

Up next was tuning, I tried to get a decent etune, but unforutnately the quality of the tunes I received were terrible... the car was barely running and extremely rich. Rather than chance causing any damage while trying to work the kinks, I took the car to a local tuner and tuned the car on the dyno.

The car put down 304 RWHP at 7psi with some belt slip above 7500 RPM. I was happy with the results and while I knew the system was capable of more, I did not want to chase every last HP and sacrifice reliability.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:57 AM

A few months later during a dyno day put on by the local North Texas S2Ki group, saw some issues with the car pulling a ton of timing during VTEC engagement. I worked closely with my tuner and we tweaked the tune and got the car running perfectly, still not sure what caused the change.

Not long after that the started getting some significant clutch slip, so I had 00MUGENS2 install the new clutch. Getting used to the lightweight flywheel and engagement of the Science of Speed clutch took a little while, but after the break in period the clutch is perfect.

Now that the car was performing great, needed to address some issues with the brakes which were warped and really needed to be replaced. Decided to go with Stoptech Slotted rotors paired with the Stoptech Street Performance pads

Love the Stoptech brakes, they perform better than stock but they do dust a little more and you will get the occasional squeak. Overall a great upgrade for those not quite ready to go to a BBK, but what some extra performance from their OEM system.

About this time I started thinking of getting my seats reupholstered, they were exhibiting the classic bolster wear, and the passenger seat had a few tears in the perforated seat bottom. After doing some research I decided to go with the Clazzio seat covers instead, and in keeping with the black/red look of the wheels I went with the black seats with the red stitching.

The seats look OEM and fit perfectly, most people who see them think they were reupholstered. A great upgrade for those who have worn seats, really can't beat the value. I also bought a shift boot with the same pattern to finish off the look.

Up next decided to add the soft top back, I love the look of the car with the OEM hard top, but really hard to beat the ease of dropping the top at a moments notice. Bought a top off a totaled S2000, and installed it with a friend. This is an immense pain in the rear, but in the end very much worth it.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:58 AM

Time to move on to the suspension, while the OEM suspension is adequate for most uses, when its time to replace it... most folks look for "better" options. In my case after much research, I decided to upgrade to the Bilstein PSS9 coil overs.

The Bilstein's come packaged amazing well with high quality throughout, and extreme attention to detail

Compared to the OEM shocks with the Tein S Tech springs, its a night and day difference

Only negative to the Bilstein's is the included instructions, which are some of the worst I have ever seen. Luckily we have several very good DIY guides here which make the install much easier. Here is how the car sat after install of the Bilstein's.

Up next I decided to order some new wheels, the Enkei PF01SS wheels were great I wanted something with a little more style... after much research in the Racing and Competition forum (thanks to thepoi and King Tut for their contributions) I decided to order the Forgestar F14's in Black Graphite. I ordered the wheels from Modbargains, Alan was my sales guy, and he was very helpful and communicative. I highly recommend them.

While the shipping took a little longer than I would have liked, they did deliver them within the promised 6 week period, and the wheels are amazing.

I also decided to go with the new Dunlop Direzza Z2 Star Specs to replace my worn Z2's (non-StarSpec)

The wheels were well balanced, and had no issues getting them installed at my local NTB

The wheel specs are 17x9 +58 wrapped in 255/40/R17 square, I was trying to maintain as close to the same setup as I had with the Enkei's, as they had worked perfectly for me and had no fitment issues.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:48 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Solid build. Needs Forgestars.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by King Tut
Solid build. Needs Forgestars.
Getting there!
Old 05-11-2016, 12:24 PM

Up next:

Get alignment and corner balance at Texas Track Works

Replace the AC Compressor, which gave up the ghost last fall

Upgrade to the SoS Novi 1200?

Who knows???
Old 05-11-2016, 01:24 PM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Track days is what is next.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by King Tut
Track days is what is next.
For sure, I need to quit procrastinating and just do it.

Quick Reply: Kenny_Stang's build thread: GPW content inside!