Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Hi My Name Is Karen And I Like PSLs

Old 10-12-2019, 07:44 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Hi My Name Is Karen And I Like PSLs

I wanted something unremarkable that got decent gas mileage and was reliable, but without buying a Camry because this is a DINK household and we don't need to care about carrying more than 2 people. I acquired a Silverstone-on-Black early AP1. Perfect. Got 36mpg on the way home from purchasing it in North Carolina. Off to a great start, we'll get along fine.

What it is: 2000 S2000
What it do: Get groceries

Purchased the car with about 117k miles. Stock and all original save for a Robbins soft top that was damaged, a Forbidden USA Mugen rep, and 17x9 TSW Interlagos wrapped in 255/40 Conti ECS. Paint on trunk and mirrors totally trashed. Just Honda things.

Excuse the mess in the shop. Leftover from moving, and i haven't had the time to finish out the inside yet. Baby steps.

Decided the first thing to do was figure out why the front running lights weren't working. Expecting some electrical issue because both were out, i was delighted to find that the PO just simply hadn't replaced blown bulbs. Some $10 LEDs from Amazon and i was on my way.

During this time, i realized that not a single person who has ever touched this car was aware of the existence of these. So that's neat. Looking for a "who has links to chinese replacements for all these clips/pins" thread coming soon to a forum near you.

So creamy.

Whoa it's silver. So basic.

After wash, claybar, buff, glaze, wax.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:52 AM

Time for some work! The goal here is to create the most basic 2 seat appliance imaginable. This means that using it as a convertible is out. Purchased Ballade Sports front brackets because where we're going, we don't need latches.

Step 1: Do stupid top tricks.

Step 2: Remove the stupid top.

Step 3: GOT HEEEEMMMM

Step 4: Send pics to all your friends of you "ruining" your new appliance.

Step 5: SO MUCH ROOM FOR ACTIVITIES

Step 6: Spend a buttload on OEM hardtop seals

Step 7: Poke a hole in the box

Step 8: Attach the thinger to the stuff.

Step 9: We coupe now.
The following 2 users liked this post by That Miata Guy:
1993 (10-17-2019), S2000_916 (07-31-2020)
Old 10-12-2019, 08:04 AM

Problem: Silver radio door is AWFUL. Y tho.
Solution: Black radio door, forehead

*Triggered subsides*

Problem: Black wheels are terrible change my mind.
Solution: *PSL intensifies*

Problem: This sure is an oversteery boi and feels bad at the limit. Because AP1 and square setup.
Solution: NC bar and some endlinks from the community bro. (Not installed yet, hasn't been high priority, i can still get groceries without packing into a ditch)

Problem: Early AP1 stereo is LOL i'd rather listen to nothing, thanks.
Solution: Dumpster dove Crutchfield. Sony MEX-N5300BT, Access ASWC-1, Polk DB6502 2-way passives, Soundstream Stealth ST4.1000D, 8awg amp wiring kit, and a Panavise phone bracket kit from Modifry. For now, i'll attempt to just surface mount the tweeters in my minty early AP1 door panels. If that goes badly, i'll snag some later panels that had tweeters from factory. Should handle install next weekend.

Somewhere in this mess i installed the late clear side markers. Didn't take pics because who cares.

More future-y plans.
1) Replace trunklid and mirrors with nicer ones. Preferably with spoiler.
2) AP2 front bumper or find decent AP1 oem lip replica
3) Shift knob that doesn't give 2nd degree burns
4) JDM y0 turn signal thingers
5) New clutch. Mostly preventative. This one grabs fine but it's original and grabs really high. I dislike this.
6) SS hydraulic lines and some better pads. Stoptech Sports maybe, i like them on my other street car.
7) 02-03 ECU swap
8) Berk HFC
9) RSG FEAL 441+RR
10) Ballade Sports soft top button delete
11) Motor and diff mounts. (How are the non-OEM things from an NVH standpoint?)
12) Drive basic bitch cookie cutter PSL-mobile to get groceries. And PSLs.

Last edited by That Miata Guy; 10-12-2019 at 08:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
1993 (10-17-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 12:04 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

I was looking at your photos and recalled how horrible black wheels make these cars look. ...Then I read your "solution." I'm partial to OEM wheels but anything is natural silver color works better.

Starting to look good.

-- Chuck
Old 10-12-2019, 12:08 PM

I do need to pick up the stock wheels from PO at some point probably soon, but it being an AP1, i'm unlikely to run those wheels. I looked for a bit at doing AP2 wheels of some sort, but wasn't sure i wanted to run a staggered setup on a DD. I like being able to rotate. I figure the PF01s look boring enough. I am also likely to pick up an oem hardtop this winter. The Mugen is too "Look at meeee!" for the intent of this car for me.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:24 PM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Should've just driven a Miata if you want boring and plain.
That Miata Guy (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Should've just driven a Miata if you want boring and plain.
That's cute.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:50 AM

Please accept this display of unnecessary material goods that i have purchased for my appliance in a desperate bid to acquire acceptance and good feels from an online community, to be installed tomorrow.

The following 2 users liked this post by That Miata Guy:
1993 (10-25-2019), rizzllzahid (04-05-2021)
Old 10-19-2019, 07:16 AM

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I was looking at your photos and recalled how horrible black wheels make these cars look. ...Then I read your "solution." I'm partial to OEM wheels but anything is natural silver color works better.

Starting to look good.

-- Chuck
I agree about the black wheels. The Enkeis will look 10Xs better.
That Miata Guy (10-19-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by The King
I agree about the black wheels. The Enkeis will look 10Xs better.
That plus some wheel gap removal should make me a happy boy.

Anyways, i'm driving this thing to NY and back this coming Thursday/Sunday. Figured i'd do a quick baseline while i was doing important things like stereo. Noticed the clutch master cylinder had a very slight amount of wetness inside the car and i generally HATE the way the clutch feels on this thing. Has a good positive engagement point, but it's WAY high. (Is this normal)

Ordered:
Oem clutch master
Oem clutch slave
Amsoil MTF
Amsoil SVG 75w110
Oem oil filter
Stupid black billet battery tie down because mine looks gross and the new one was cheaper than the time spent sanding and painting the oem one
I have a bunch of ATE200 on hand from the other cars so i'll do a flush on the brake system as well. Car has unknown pads on it that i hate, but good enough for 22 hours of highway travel.

Last edited by That Miata Guy; 10-19-2019 at 10:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Hi My Name Is Karen And I Like PSLs