Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

M3TOS2K (Mugen, J's Racing, Spoon, ASM)

Old 12-15-2015, 11:08 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default M3TOS2K ( J's Racing, Spoon, Mugen, ASM, Voltex)

Current Mod List:

Engine
  • J’s Racing Header
  • Mugen Intake
  • Mugen Exhaust
  • Mugen Dry Carbon Coil Pack Cover
  • Berk 63mm Test Pipe
  • Hondata Flash Pro (Tuned by Jei at Blacktrax)
  • Shorai Battery
  • Radium Engineering Dual Oil Catch Can
  • Blacktrax Baffled Oil Pan

Drivetrain
  • Clutch Delay Valve Removed
  • J’s Racing Axle Spacers

Suspension/Chassis
  • J’s Racing Camber Joints
  • J's Racing rear roll center adjusters (not installed)
  • J’s Racing Torque Damper/Tower Bar
  • Spoon Front Lower Cross Brace
  • Spoon Subframe Rigid Collars
  • Spoon Steering Rigid Collars (not installed)
  • Spoon Suspension Bushings
  • Spoon Motor/Transmission Mounts
  • Ohlins RT/DFV Coilovers
  • Swift 12/10 Springs
  • Eibach Front Sway Bar

Brakes
  • Spoon Calipers
  • Gyrodisc Front Rotors
  • Urge Flow Rear Rotors
  • Stoptech Stainless Steel Braided Lines
  • Winmax W4/W5 Pads (Carbotech XP10/8 were good, but noisy on the street. Project Mu Club Racers fell apart after 1 track day)
  • Project Mu 335 Fluid
  • Custom brake cooling into APR Backing Plates

Exterior
  • J’s Racing Front Tow Hook
  • J's Racing 3D GT Type 1 Wing
  • Cusco Rear Tow Hook
  • J’s Racing Type S CF Hood
  • Spoon Tinted Side View Mirrors
  • Advan RSII 17x10 +50 Wheels (255/45/17 Hankook RS3/Bridgestone RE71R)
  • Volk CE28N 17x9.5 +50
  • OEM Hardtop
  • Voltex Street Bumper with CF Splitter

Interior
  • Spoon Tinted Rear View Mirror
  • Mugen Steering Wheel with Works Bell Hub and Quick Release
  • ASM Recaro RSG
  • Bride Seat Rails
  • Rockstar Roll Bar
  • Schroth 6 Point Harness

The Story

A few people keep asking why I don't have a build thread up and it's mainly because I'm lazy and already did a bunch of crap to my car. So this won't be some nicely organized build thread, but just random posts about my car. But let me try and summarize to get myself up to speed.

My car history is pretty well documented between my Flickr and Youtube page. Feel free to browse them if interested:

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/radiantmark/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/radiantm3/videos

Let me start by saying that ever since the S2000 was introduced in 1999, I fell madly in love with it. But at the time I just couldn't afford it. I was going to pick up one of the last Integra Type R's on the lot instead, but I lived in Long Beach at the time and knew that car would get stolen quickly. So instead I opted for a 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S. It was a fun car for what it was, but definitely no S2000 or Type R.

I then picked up an 2004 IS300 because I got married, and later we upgraded to a 2008 BMW 335i Sedan. This is where my love for BMW began. In 2009, I picked up a 135i for myself and started my journey learning how to really drive. I took car control classes and did a few autox events. Then I made the huge mistake of test driving an E92 M3. Ended up selling my 135i and placing an order on a 2011 E92 M3. Did my first ever track day in that car and about 35 more after over the next few years. I was hooked on performance driving.

I put 70k miles on my M3 and had my motor replaced under extended warranty at 62k because it seized from failing bearings. I started to have a bunch of other electronic issues (all fixed under extended warranty) and my car was at the dealership more than in my possession. So I decided it was time to get a car more suited for track duty. S2000's were always on my bucket list and I knew they were fast on track with a competent driver. I narrowed it down to an Elise or S2000 and finally decided to go with the S2000 because it was cheaper and far more reliable. I returned my M3 back to stock and sold all my aftermarket parts to fund my S2000. My plan was to keep the M3 as a daily driver since it was paid off and still had a year of extended warranty left.

I looked at about 10 S2000's locally and finally found one in SF that was in fantastic shape. It was a 2007 Rio Yellow AP2 with about 66k miles on it.

It came with mods, but he also supplied me with all the stock components. So I put all the stock components back on and sold the aftermarket stuff so I could build this car the way I wanted to. I also wanted to do a few track days completely stock to get a feel for how the car was designed from the factory.

My first real mod was removing the clutch delay valve. It created a horribly feeling clutch and I never launch cars so it wasn't needed. It made a world of a difference. My M3 never came with a CDV.

Then I picked up an OEM hardtop from a local seller. It was white so I just had it wrapped black temporarily. I still need to get it painted black soon unless I find a berlina black top locally.

To prepare for my first track day I wanted to make sure that the factory brakes were up to the task. Stoptech braided lines, Centric premium blanks, and Carbotech track pads.

I also opted for some brake ducting with the APR cooling plates. I cut off the fake air vents in the front bumper and hacked together some plastic ducting plates I found on Amazon.

I split the hose into 2 sections so I can easily remove the ducting in the wheel well area when I'm not at the track. The hoses are expensive and get damaged on the street. And I like having full steering lock on the street.

I did my first track day at Sonoma Raceway and ran a 2:01 stock. Then I went to Thunderhill and ran a 2:11 at the 3 mile over the top. Not the most impressive times, but not slow either. I was completely surprised at how fun this car is even stock.

Somewhere around this time I also refreshed my interior a bit with a few aftermarket bits.

After 3 track days stock, I decided it was time to start building my car up. Here's how she looked right before I started officially modding. (I had the stock wheels powder coated black at some point too)

Update: I updated my build posts below with more detail.

Last edited by radiantm3; 04-10-2017 at 09:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by radiantm3:
EffWun (04-04-2021), S2KRIO (11-12-2019)
Old 12-15-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Car looks great and loving the photos man! Looking forward to more updates
Old 12-15-2015, 12:26 PM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Nice to see a Rio out there on the track.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:51 PM

Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

Love the photos. I just started following you on Flickr and youtube. Good stuff!
Old 12-15-2015, 01:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome photography! Any reason for not going with SPGs in the S2000 after having them in your M3?
Old 12-15-2015, 02:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Love your car
Old 12-15-2015, 02:42 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by av8ter
Awesome photography! Any reason for not going with SPGs in the S2000 after having them in your M3?
I heard about some fitment issues in a few cars and I just wanted to try something new. The recaros definitely feel like a step up in quality over Bride, but these seats fit me very well and are like 95% as comfortable as the SPG's. If I were to start over I'd get the SPG's or even the RSG's Evasive has in stock right now. But overall I don't regret the Bride setup.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by radiantm3
Originally Posted by av8ter' timestamp='1450219767' post='23828928
I heard about some fitment issues in a few cars and I just wanted to try something new. The recaros definitely feel like a step up in quality over Bride, but these seats fit me very well and are like 95% as comfortable as the SPG's. If I were to start over I'd get the SPG's or even the RSG's Evasive has in stock right now. But overall I don't regret the Bride setup.

Just curious is all. Have had the SPG in my car as well as the Pole Position. Was gearing up to try a RSG in mine(even sold my SPG in preparation) but ruled it out after checking the dimensions a little further, just don't think I could squeeze my buns in it. I've got another PP in the mean time but plan to get Evasive to grab a SP-G3 KK from Japan Recaro for me next time they're purchasing from their overseas supplier.

Had nothing but good things to say about the fitment of the SPG actually, just had to be dead center in adjustment to alleviate any potential rubbing issues with the door/cubby.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:04 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Garage photos are so lovely! Glad to see you put a thread together.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful car in the best color IMO. Love the fact you spent the time to drive the car in stock form and do your mods accordingly. (^similar to Andrew) I really appreciate builds like this especially since you stated yourself that you don't build show cars. I die a little inside every time I see a hellaflush S2000..... Almost like slapping god in the face lol. Looking forward to more updates.

Quick Reply: M3TOS2K (Mugen, J's Racing, Spoon, ASM)