Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

M3TOS2K (Mugen, J's Racing, Spoon, ASM)

Old 02-27-2017, 11:56 AM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Always like that bumper as an alternative to the ASM one.
The following users liked this post:
toplessPolak (03-03-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 09:28 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Got the car back from the body shop today. Things are finally moving along. Still have to swap all the internals of my door which doesn't seem like it will be fun at all. I also need to attempt to fix my bent exhaust. If all goes well I might be driving my car again in a week. It's been way too long.

S1 S2 (04-11-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 09:40 PM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Voltex looking good and the rear quarter looks amazing.

Sorry to derail but I didn't realize you sold the GT4 until just now. I looked over the past few pages and didn't see any mention about it. How come you sold?
Old 04-10-2017, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Soviet
Voltex looking good and the rear quarter looks amazing.

Sorry to derail but I didn't realize you sold the GT4 until just now. I looked over the past few pages and didn't see any mention about it. How come you sold?
The GT4 was a great car, but I decided to let it go because of my upcoming move and while it's a great car in so many ways, I have just as much fun driving my S2K on and off track. It just didn't make sense having a monthly car payment on a $100k car when I have a car I own outright and enjoy driving just as much. But it was a great 6 months of ownership and I got that Porsche bug out of my system. I put 7k miles on the GT4 and did a track day at Laguna and Thunderhill. Drove every mile in that car with all the nannies turned off (on and off the track) and Porsche makes damn good cars. But I realized that you can build a great car out of something like an S2K as well.

I might be getting old, but I'm learning that I enjoy older cars more than the modern ones. I mean the GT4 was about 5 seconds faster than my S2K around the 2 tracks I took it to (in my hands), but felt so much easier to drive. I guess that's not a bad thing for some, but I kind of love that the S2K commands a lot of respect to drive fast. ONLY 240hp, but you need to be mentally prepared to drive it fast around corners. Don't get me wrong. I love all the new Porsche GT cars, but I don't think I have that lust after them anymore. I've driven my friend's 991 GT3 on and off the track and had short ownership of a GT4. If I ever buy another Porsche, it would be a 996 GT3. While not the prettiest generation 911, I think I would absolutely love the driving experience.

Sometime after I move to Austin, I'll probably get an E36, E46 M3 or possibly an M2 so I have something a bit more daily driver friendly that's also fun going sideways on track. Or if I'm selfish and stupid, I still would love to own an Elise or Exige. But for now I'm completely content with this car and I honestly don't miss having the GT4 around. I just miss having a fun car to drive in general since I've been driving my i3 since late November and need more gears and pedals to play with.

Last edited by radiantm3; 04-10-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Bullwings (04-29-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 10:49 PM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by radiantm3
The GT4 was a great car, but I decided to let it go because of my upcoming move and while it's a great car in so many ways, I have just as much fun driving my S2K on and off track. It just didn't make sense having a monthly car payment on a $100k car when I have a car I own outright and enjoy driving just as much. But it was a great 6 months of ownership and I got that Porsche bug out of my system. I put 7k miles on the GT4 and did a track day at Laguna and Thunderhill. Drove every mile in that car with all the nannies turned off (on and off the track) and Porsche makes damn good cars. But I realized that you can build a great car out of something like an S2K as well.

I might be getting old, but I'm learning that I enjoy older cars more than the modern ones. I mean the GT4 was about 5 seconds faster than my S2K around the 2 tracks I took it to (in my hands), but felt so much easier to drive. I guess that's not a bad thing for some, but I kind of love that the S2K commands a lot of respect to drive fast. ONLY 240hp, but you need to be mentally prepared to drive it fast around corners. Don't get me wrong. I love all the new Porsche GT cars, but I don't think I have that lust after them anymore. I've driven my friend's 991 GT3 on and off the track and had short ownership of a GT4. If I ever buy another Porsche, it would be a 996 GT3. While not the prettiest generation 911, I think I would absolutely love the driving experience.

Sometime after I move to Austin, I'll probably get an E36, E46 M3 or possibly an M2 so I have something a bit more daily driver friendly that's also fun going sideways on track. Or if I'm selfish and stupid, I still would love to own an Elise or Exige. But for now I'm completely content with this car and I honestly don't miss having the GT4 around. I just miss having a fun car to drive in general since I've been driving my i3 since late November and need more gears and pedals to play with.
Thank you for that through explanation. It is encouraging to hear that kind of perspective as I don't get to pick the brains of many GT4 owners.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:04 PM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

An E36 M3 sedan would be a great pairing with a S2000. I still miss mine.

Is the S2000 going to be a track car from here on out?
Old 04-10-2017, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by JamesD89
An E36 M3 sedan would be a great pairing with a S2000. I still miss mine.

Is the S2000 going to be a track car from here on out?
Not as long as I can keep it bearable to drive on the street. When I say daily driver, I mean a car that I can park and not worry so much about. I drive my S2K a lot, but I rarely park it anywhere public for more than a couple minutes because I'm always worried something might get stolen.

That and back seats so I can drive my kids around in.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:05 PM

Still have a few more days of work to do on the car. Today I noticed a hairline fracture already in the bumper. This will definitely be my last FRP bumper because if they crack with gentle pressure during install, there's no way they are durable for track usage. Sad because I didn't even get to drive the car yet and it's already cracked, but also had a feeling this would happen eventually and I'm learning from my mistakes. I'm still going to clear bra the bumper and hopefully it doesn't get any worse. If you are thinking about an aftermarket bumper and worry about the strength of FRP, DON'T DO IT. I should have went with my gut feeling on this.

But I'm still excited that my car is finally coming back together and I'll soon get to drive it again.

S1 S2 (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 02:37 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Car is looking good regardless. Wondering why you didn't go with the race version with the splitter given the cars track focus?
Old 04-12-2017, 05:10 AM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome back man! I was wondering when the car would be back, the new Voltex front end looks great with it as well. That's crazy that you sold the GT4 but that goes to show you how much this car can mean to you. I'm also surprised your bumper already cracked. Can't wait to see some more progress moving forward on the car.

Quick Reply: M3TOS2K (Mugen, J's Racing, Spoon, ASM)