Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

My Suzuka 2004 AP1 S2K build-up

Old 07-12-2016, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On with my build. I didn't like how the licence plate looks attached to the bumper, so I decided to get a motorcycle plate holder with adjustable angle and move it to the vent area. I can fold it all the way up in case of a track day.

On one weekend I had some adventures. Welds holding the oxygen sensor let go on my Megan test pipe and it started bouncing off the ground. I had to do something about it to be able to go back home. Found a ditch and crawled under the car... don't try this at home - scary AF.

Later I received a set of clear diffuser for the headlights. By coincidence one of ballasts died and I had to take care of it anyway.

For some reason on of the tail lights wasn't sealed properly and there was moist and a lot of dust inside it. So I decided to take those apart too. And so it became a horror two weeks long story of silicone abuse to my hands and a test of my patience.

I had to add something from myself so I decided to change some bits on the front:

I cut the amber part out of the diffuser:

Here's a "naked" tail:

I thought about how to make the tails look as OEM as possible and decided to use clear diffuser out of AP1 tails. It's now nearly OEM clear tail light:

And the fronts:

OK, OK, and the fronts:

I'm happy with the all clear look now. Stay tuned
Old 07-14-2016, 07:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gusbo
I thought about how to make the tails look as OEM as possible and decided to use clear diffuser out of AP1 tails. It's now nearly OEM clear tail light:
Gotta say... One of the best looking Suzukas I've ever seen. Amber-less tail lights look amazing too. How does the AP1 clear diffuser fit in the amber part of the AP2 tails? Or did you cut it?
Old 07-15-2016, 01:56 AM

Thank you! I had to trim about 1,5 inch of the diameter of the AP1 diffuser to fit it inside the red "ring". I made sure it sits there tight and then had some plastic glue on the inward edge. You can see it better here:

And a tail light without a lens:
Old 07-15-2016, 04:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very well executed
Old 08-09-2016, 09:45 PM

It's time to clean up my engine bay. I bought a set of Z-Spec fasteners in dark blue color and decided to go with black / blue/ silver theme. It will be carried over to the whole car. I still need to paint the valve cover and put on a cooling plate and such.
Here's what it looked like versus now:

Old 08-10-2016, 08:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what brand are your side diffusers?
Old 08-10-2016, 10:04 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Looks great, congrats on the nice work you've done
Levi
Old 08-10-2016, 03:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Very cool build!
Old 08-11-2016, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this thing looks fantastic . makes me almost want ap2 headlights because of how those clear lenses look
Old 08-17-2016, 01:20 AM

Thanks guys!

what brand are your side diffusers?
These are ABS replicas of Spoon diffusers, painted Honda Quantum Grey.

It's a really hard color to build a car's look around. I decided I have to go a little more aggressive on the setup to pull it off. Here's a drawing showing how I envisioned it:

The final outcome will be a little different however as I already have an OEM bumper shaved and APR lip waiting to be sprayed. Wheels are also on order. They will be Work instead of planned Advans though.

In the meantime I got a cool mileage number:

and a pic from a weekend trip:

Quick Reply: My Suzuka 2004 AP1 S2K build-up