Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

New User From OK / V8 Swap Build Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all of the responses!

Also, thanks for moving this where it needed to be, much appreciated.

I'm very excited that this project is finally gaining some ground. It's going to be pretty fun I'm thinking.

Anyhow, over the past few weeks I've been busy doing a lot of cleaning. I finally got this set up:

So now I have my tools all organized and I can listen to some tunes while I'm working

As far as the car goes, I've been working on cutting the part of the transmission tunnel that has to come out. It's turned into quite a PITA. This is as far as I've gotten:

I cut the back of the trunk tub out:

Also cut the wheel well flappy deal out. Didn't see any point in it

Check out that sick caliper paint job with all the overspray. I love used cars. I should post the CarFax on here. I think y'all would get a kick out of it.

In case anyone was curious, here are the tranny and engine going in the car:

That's all I have for this post; stay tuned.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:53 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I bet this will be on the road in no time. You sound like a CoolGuy.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:29 AM

good luck on the build.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by King Tut
I bet this will be on the road in no time. You sound like a CoolGuy.
ROFL
Old 06-22-2016, 02:38 AM

Coming back with a little update,

Just split this engine hoist from Northern Tool for ~$250 with my buddy Mike, both pictured here:

Name:  20160620_175320_zps5xsv7uzj.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  360.0 KB

Here's another, better shot of my engine:

Name:  20160620_175331_zpsbgev1tr5.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  371.7 KB

Now that I can move that motor around, we relocated and reorganized some more stuff around in the garage and gave it a little more working space.

And now for an update on decisions; end-game I would like the diff. to be a Ford 8.8. However, it's going to take quite a chunk of change and a load of work to get the car running in that state. I will either have to buy a kit for 4+ grand or fabricate my own diff. mounts, and then buy custom axles regardless. My plan as of now is to run the stock diff. and try to be semi-gentle with it until it blows. In the end, this means I will end up buying and/or modifying two different driveshafts, but I can offset some of the cost by selling the old one (hopefully) and then the car gets to be on the road a whole hell of a lot sooner.

My question is: what is a cheap way to modify/strengthen the stock differential to keep it from going sooner? I have heard that the main issue with the S2K diff. is the bearing caps shifting and warping due to incorrectly sized hardware and not enough material respectively. I know about the procedures done from PuddyMod but if I spend that kind of money, I could just plop the ford diff. in there. I also know about the Comptech caps, and I have heard they don't work. Additionally, they cost too much.

As I currently have access to a machine shop, I am considering buying some billet steel and new journals, machining my own caps, and drilling holes in my housing for dowel rods to prevent the caps from shifting. I might stick some higher-grade bolts in there as well. Any thoughts, advice, suggestions would be much appreciated.

In other news, I'm trying to make some moar money to buy the Import Muscle swap kit because I'm a poor college student. Haven't done much to the car recently due to Formula SAE competition and preparation, and vacations, working, etc.

Stay tuned though. Things are going to pick up soon.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:00 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks for the build thread, I won't bash you for your choices, not the route I would have gone but everyone has different goals with their mods.

That being said, I would caution with cutting corners. I understand that you are a college student and have limited funds, but if you want a reliable and well performing setup, you need to be patient, save up your money, and do it right the first time. Just my .02, either way good luck.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:01 AM

As I said I was going to earlier, I'm gonna post the CARFAX for everyone to 'ave a giggle at.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
Thanks for the build thread, I won't bash you for your choices, not the route I would have gone but everyone has different goals with their mods.

That being said, I would caution with cutting corners. I understand that you are a college student and have limited funds, but if you want a reliable and well performing setup, you need to be patient, save up your money, and do it right the first time. Just my .02, either way good luck.

Thanks for the concern. I am in a sense cutting corners right now. However, the people at Import Muscle have produced the following statement:

Q: Can I use the OEM Honda Differential with this swap?

A: Yes! Assuming you are not abusive and the differential is in good working order, the Honda diff should last for an extended period of time. Your mileage may vary and we can make no guarantees on how long this will be the case. That said, the Honda differential IS a ticking time bomb and will likely go out at some point in the future. If you are looking to save cash and want to hold off on the differential swap until a later date, you can do so. Just know the differential WILL likely fail at some point in the future. Budgeting early for the Import Muscle differential upgrade is a wise idea.
Obviously if I'm hooning around like an idiot, dumping the clutch at every stoplight, drag racing, parking-lot drifting, etc. I'm going to run into some issues. As the S is a tertiary form of transportation that I'm not going to be driving very far from my house, I'm not going to be too upset about it breaking down if it does. Swapping the car over to the 8.8 after putting the old one back in won't require any more effort than the removal of the old differential and axles.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:21 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by S5300
Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang' timestamp='1466593228' post='23999315

Thanks for the concern. I am in a sense cutting corners right now. However, the people at Import Muscle have produced the following statement:

Q: Can I use the OEM Honda Differential with this swap?

A: Yes! Assuming you are not abusive and the differential is in good working order, the Honda diff should last for an extended period of time. Your mileage may vary and we can make no guarantees on how long this will be the case. That said, the Honda differential IS a ticking time bomb and will likely go out at some point in the future. If you are looking to save cash and want to hold off on the differential swap until a later date, you can do so. Just know the differential WILL likely fail at some point in the future. Budgeting early for the Import Muscle differential upgrade is a wise idea.
Obviously if I'm hooning around like an idiot, dumping the clutch at every stoplight, drag racing, parking-lot drifting, etc. I'm going to run into some issues. As the S is a tertiary form of transportation that I'm not going to be driving very far from my house, I'm not going to be too upset about it breaking down if it does. Swapping the car over to the 8.8 after putting the old one back in won't require any more effort than the removal of the old differential and axles.
If you've considered the risks and are comfortable with the potential outcomes, all the more power to you. Just be aware that you could potentially lock up the rear diff when in a corner, and end up in a ditch with a totaled car... happened to a local member. That's probably not the most likely scenario, but certainly a possibility. Any how, look forward to seeing more updates.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
Just be aware that you could potentially lock up the rear diff when in a corner, and end up in a ditch with a totaled car... happened to a local member.
Yipes! Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind!

Quick Reply: New User From OK / V8 Swap Build Thread