Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

New User From OK / V8 Swap Build Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S5300
Where is this Cobra rear subframe for $150??? I want one!

Yeah I have heard that the Explorer diff. is the one to go for. What I had planned on doing was purchasing the Explorer case and then buying a new LSD, output shafts, axles, etc.

What company is it that makes the kit you're talking about? The only ones I have found are $3k and up which is quite a bit more then I intend to spend on it.
He just stumbled into it kinda a lucky break honestly, i was talking to him about this earlier and he said some of the explorers actually came with an LSD too.

I went and hunted down the kit i was thinking of and i was wrong, its the CNC Speedshop kit, but i thought that they sold just the frame without the diff but i guess not. it looks like that is a complete kit axles and all but it is $$$$$
Old 11-14-2016, 06:38 PM

Contacted Puddy. Not a modded diff. Oops.

More pics and such

Motor mounts tacked in:

Name:  20161114_193829_zpsvlx6fhkk.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  347.2 KB

Here's that bolt for the tranny mount that goes through the floor hehe

Name:  20161114_195645_zpsvw8we8cm.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  276.5 KB

Tranny mount in place:

Name:  20161114_195716_zpstekto4lp.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  288.1 KB

My perfectly centered shifter:

Name:  20161114_195841_zps3ixdcsyk.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  266.6 KB
Old 11-16-2016, 01:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool build. If you have any questions about the swap or need advice checkout the engine swap subforum. I am trying to get enough documented to help future swappers. The IM manual only goes so far, and deals with a certain subset of components.

Jump on the 8.8 setup ASAP. I have a assemetricalaxle 8.8 swap currently as well as a puddymod setup. On the track I've snapped two axles on the 8.8 setup(going with a different brand now) and had to resort to swapping the subframe with the puddymod diff back on to keep the car for fall cruising while I waited for another set of axles. Get a kit like the CNC speedshop 8.8 to avoid the assemetrical BS, since even though I can just order cobra axles having to keep a spare for each side is costly and I've yet to break two of the opposite sides in a row.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tehk
Cool build. If you have any questions about the swap or need advice checkout the engine swap subforum. I am trying to get enough documented to help future swappers. The IM manual only goes so far, and deals with a certain subset of components.

Jump on the 8.8 setup ASAP. I have a assemetricalaxle 8.8 swap currently as well as a puddymod setup. On the track I've snapped two axles on the 8.8 setup(going with a different brand now) and had to resort to swapping the subframe with the puddymod diff back on to keep the car for fall cruising while I waited for another set of axles. Get a kit like the CNC speedshop 8.8 to avoid the assemetrical BS, since even though I can just order cobra axles having to keep a spare for each side is costly and I've yet to break two of the opposite sides in a row.

Wow, your car looks like a monster. Do you have any videos of it? How did you shave that much weight off? I am considering a rear mount twin turbo setup at some point in the future.

I have already discovered some of the ambiguity in the manual . Not that I necessarily expected it to be a play-by-play but there have been quite a few things I have had to figure out on my own so far. Overall, I've been really pleased with the quality of the parts and the instructions though. It sure has made things a lot simpler than if I just started doing stuff on my own.

I was considering my own mounting solution for the differential, but if I end up purchasing one I will make sure to get something symmetrical. I would like to maintain the stock suspension setup which means keeping the stock subframe.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:31 PM

I cut off the front of the car(Strut tower forward), cut everything out of the trunk floor, gutted everything behind the seats, no softtop, removed the gas tank, removed the AC/Heat, gutted door braces, removed all the factory wiring, replaced the seats with kirkeys and a sparco with no sliders, gutted the EPS(still using the housing), run a mini battery with auxiliary removable battery for weekend cruising, no exhaust(dumped behind firewall), no sound deadening, no accessories, mini starter, big brake kit, weld RTS wheels on all corners, no ABS, no filler used in engine bay like most of these swaps, dimple dies on the unibody under the front fenders, replaced headlight brackets with CF, floating radiator, aluminum trans mount, and a lot of small shit that added up. I can pull the whole front end radiator/lights/fenders/bumper off the car as one piece

I am in the process of trying to do a turbo now, but I am 0/2 on manifolds working without hitting the frame or towers. Hopefully I will have it figured out when FedEx arrives next

https://*******/fR4E All I have on me at the moment, extra choppy first start idle of me moving it out of the garage today. Had the MAF unplugged while I try relocate my coil packs for the turbo manifolds

Oh and I have the first start with the 416ci internals.

Last edited by Tehk; 11-17-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tehk
I cut off the front of the car(Strut tower forward), cut everything out of the trunk floor, gutted everything behind the seats, no softtop, removed the gas tank, removed the AC/Heat, gutted door braces, removed all the factory wiring, replaced the seats with kirkeys and a sparco with no sliders, gutted the EPS(still using the housing), run a mini battery with auxiliary removable battery for weekend cruising, no exhaust(dumped behind firewall), no sound deadening, no accessories, mini starter, big brake kit, weld RTS wheels on all corners, no ABS, no filler used in engine bay like most of these swaps, dimple dies on the unibody under the front fenders, replaced headlight brackets with CF, floating radiator, aluminum trans mount, and a lot of small shit that added up. I can pull the whole front end radiator/lights/fenders/bumper off the car as one piece

I am in the process of trying to do a turbo now, but I am 0/2 on manifolds working without hitting the frame or towers. Hopefully I will have it figured out when FedEx arrives next

https://*******/fR4E All I have on me at the moment, extra choppy first start idle of me moving it out of the garage today. Had the MAF unplugged while I try relocate my coil packs for the turbo manifolds

Oh and I have the first start with the 416ci internals.

Ahaha wow. I considered doing the tubular front but decided it was going to take too long. Later though I will do that. From what I've calculated I should be between 2500-2600 lbs. Breaking below that I think I would have to remove some major metal. Did you bend that front tube yourself or is that a purchasable item?

Yeah I considered the rear mount turbos for weight distribution, no turbo manifolds, less-cramped engine bay etc. I was thinking of having the turbos in the trunk, with the intake coming up through the space between the trunk and cabin to suck behind the occupants' heads. And then the exhaust would come out the middle of the trunk like this but maybe a bit less gaudy (hate that car but the exhaust is cool ).

Your car sounds sick. What cam are you running? How much power are you trying to make??
Old 11-18-2016, 06:00 AM

It made 577 as it sits(ls3/head/cam/416 bottomend) on a dynapak(hub mounted) so probably 550 on rollers. I'll be changing up the bottom end again for turbo, and I hope to make 900ish