Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 10-15-2012, 12:25 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

We witnessed an alien being born during this photoshoot!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:26 AM

Another shot of Andrew's car by Alexey!
Old 10-15-2012, 05:29 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

20121015 Driving Impressions:

After driving the car for about 1500 miles my initial impressions haven't changed much, and if they have only for the better! The 2006 suspension setup with 245 rear tires definitely feels more neutral to me compared to the CR suspension setup I have driven before on similar roads with 255 rears, which makes perfect sense after looking into the CR spring/swaybar rates. I was always a bit surprised the CR came with a 215F/255R tire setup and also stiffer springs and swaybar at the front, and interesting that the JDM Type S model still used 245 R tires. I definitely think the CR setup might be a tiny bit easier to drive faster, as it is easier to find the limit of the tires, but I am absolutely loving the 2006 OEM balance. If I was to install CR suspension in the future I would definitely stick to 245 size rear tires if using OEM tire sizes up front.

I definitely think the S-04s aren't the best match for the car (the RE050s are 140 tread wear tires while the S-04s are 280) and I am excited to get some tires with some more usable grip. They have been great to learn the car though, can be at the limit with a little less overall speed, and they are nice and linear like most good Bridgestones, but the sidewall is definitely a bit on the soft side for my tastes. They definitely do perfectly fine in the wet though. They hardly make ANY noise though, at the limit where many tires will give some audible feedback, these are pretty silent. The dampers are great for mountain roads though, and the suspension has plenty of stroke for everything but the bumpiest roads that just stop being fun to drive anyway.

I love that car car is very linear and easy to handle when simply using momentum through the corners. I definitely can get a tiny bit harder to handle just powering out of a corner after entering at low speed as you have to counter steer extremely quickly. When the car starts to oversteer simply from momentum, it is pure joy.

The best part is that while the car is easy to drive it takes some time to master, so every time I go out driving I learn something new. S2000 why are you so f@#king awesome!?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:48 PM

I've always found the 255 rears paired with 215 fronts to be the ideal set up. This applies to when I had Ap2 and CR suspension. I tried 225 and 235 fronts and didn't like it. I'm curious how 245 would be on the back but I'm dead set on maintaining the OEM stagger for now.OEM for CR spec that is.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:10 AM

Some new basic bits and pieces and took my car in for detailing after getting a good recommendation and good deal through work. I mainly wanted to get my headlights polished up as they were getting a bit foggy, ended up getting a great deal on a full wash, wax, seal, and polish!

I have always loved getting these boxes..

New OEM floor mats, OEM car cover, and some OEM oil filters and drain plug washers.

I have used Castrol in many Honda engines over the years, and like what I hear about it in the F22C from others, so I will be giving the Castrol Edge Titanium 10w30 a go for the next two oil changes. I like to try out an oil at least two times before trying another one to see if I get consistent results. I am planning on trying Motul 8100 5w30, and ENEOS 5w30 next. I plan on doing 3000-5000 intervals on the Castrol. We'll see how it goes.

Probably the only part you will see actually installed on my car over the next few months, while other parts are stockpiled. You can absolutely boil brake fluid in the mountains, especially with the OEM DOT3 fluid. Downhill mountain roads can be brutal and these have saved a brake master cylinder from some spicy brake fluid for me in the past. I don't really get the point of the clutch reservoir sock, and my other one has seen better days after doing its job on another car. Direct from Type One years ago!

If you are coming to the meet this Friday in Milpitas bring some food and you can eat it off my engine bay.

The new floor mats do a great job of being between my feet and my carpet.

As I mentioned, the car got a nice shiny coat of Zaino, and the headlights were restored by Deep Reflections in Los Gatos. Probably one of the only times my car will get properly detailed, so I figured I would have them do it while getting the head lamps fixed up. They did a great job, my car is shiny and slippery! I think my drag coefficient must have dropped significantly

Usually my front wheels are gunmetal/brakedust colored, here they are shiny!

Usually my car sleeps naked but here it is wearing it's pajamas. The OEM car cover is pretty nice! fits perfectly, has a nice soft lining, and heat resistant material to cover the exhaust tips.

Should get the rest of my fluids in today! Any recommendations for coolant? I am in the sunny bay area with 50-80 degree temperatures year round. I will probably just stick to what the service manual tells me.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:50 PM

OEM Honda Joey coolant! He's got it!
Old 10-18-2012, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by eklipz98
OEM Honda Joey coolant! He's got it!
Perfect!
Old 10-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Former Moderator

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks very nice Andrew
Old 10-18-2012, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mark355
Headlight detail looks awesome.
Yep! I can definitely recommend the place I took it too. Pretty sure they use the 3M restoration kit.

Originally Posted by macr88
Looks very nice Andrew
Thanks, can I borrow your suspension?
Old 10-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Former Moderator

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll think about it

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II