The build will start to pick up over the next few weeks as parts start coming in and the car is put away for the winter.
I got my 'scratch and dent' carbon RSG This week and yesterday I went through the process of laying down some paint on it.
I say 'scratch and dent' because there were a few flaws in the clear coat that Justin from RSG had informed me off and gave me a price that made it worth it. I was going to sand and paint the top anyway, so it wasn't much more work/prep than just a regular FPR top.
The weave was nice, tight and uniform. Vacuum infusion is the only way to make quality carbon pieces.
The first step in the process was to fix the resin flaws that were in the corners of the top and then wet send the whole top. This would give a new raw surface for the primer to adhere to.
The gun I used was the Harbor Freight Pro special. Before anyone cries foul, I am not a pro painter, nor do I ever intend to be. This will be the largest piece I will have painted to date. I needed something to spray a few items and after that will probably stay dusty in the tool box. I had great results with a $15.00 gun a when I painted a fender for a co-worker recently, so I figured why not. After much research there are almost all positive reviews on the gun and there is even a rumor that they may come from the same factory as the famed Devilbiss HVLP economy kit.
The only negative comment that I read about these they they are poorly assembled and have a lot of silicone debris inside. First thing I did was take everything apart to have a look for myself...
The reviews are correct. Whole bunch of junk that could contaminate your feed and clog the gun.
Cleaned and all back together.
Most people who have the Mugen or replica top leave the 'faux window' raw carbon or painted black. Because I love the look of dry or matte carbon I decided to put my own SHG twist on the style with matte carbon sides.
Next the sides got masked off.
I flipped over the top and smoothed out some rough edges I wasn't fond of. After I laid down a fresh coat of matte black.
Quick snap of the daily while waiting for paint to dry....
The rear window opening and underside was masked to prevent any silver overspray.
Next was prepping the paint products and gun. I used PPG's Omni which is their economy line system. It was recommended to me by a fellow SHGer and the local paint supply owner (Dial Battery and Paint, East Providence) who was super helpful. Support your local shops!
I forgot to snap a pic of the primer, but I used an epoxy primer to ensure good adhesion to the raw carbon gel coat.