Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

//steve\\ - Round 3

Old 01-14-2013, 09:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the list & for your purpose, I'd rate them the following:

1) -Ohlins DFV -- probably your best option
2) -MCS single adjustable
3) -Penskes double adjustable -- third because of the price but would be first
4) -KW Clubsports
5) -AST 4150s -- I've heard of bad things with AST shocks. A local autocrosser even threatened to slash my tires if I ever got ASTs. lol
Old 01-14-2013, 10:02 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

^sent you another PM
Old 02-04-2013, 06:01 AM

A few small updates:

-pulled HT
-got smoked sidemarkers swapped for amber
-debadged (although I might go back to regular emblems)
-new tires!

New tires will hopefully be put on this coming weekend! 225/255 Dunlop Z2

I also decided to pull the HT to see if the soft top really was in good shape. Top shows a little bit of wear from being down so long but I think it'll clean up with some TLC. No tears at all though which is the biggest win. The elastic straps definitely need to be replaced but that's easy and cheap.

I'm at a point where I'm seriously considering selling the HT. It will let me buy a ton of parts I want for the car and will ultimately leave me with a car that's faster and handles better than it sits now. Plus I'll easily be able to enjoy top down. I love the way the HT looks but I found with the last S2K that I didn't take it off very frequently because it wasn't something I could easily do alone.

The HT is visually appealing but I can't say that it actually adds to the driving enjoyment. The other parts that I'd like definitely would. Only downside is that because of cost I'm about 99.9% sure that if I part with it I'll never have one again.

I'm also trying to decide what I want to do for the brakes. The car definitely needs them bad. Pedal feel is good right now and fluid looks OK but the car just doesn't stop like it should. I was pretty happy with the HP+ pads I had on the last one so I'm thinking of going that route again.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:41 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

What go fast parts would you get with selling the hardtop???
Old 02-04-2013, 08:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally I think the HT completes the car, visually. I love mine and don't plan on taking it off (considering gutting the soft top). But if you're not in love with it, they do fetch a good price so depending on what you wanted to get it might be worth it.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
What go fast parts would you get with selling the hardtop???

Flashpro, test pipe, exhaust, more suspension goodies, another Recaro bucket.

I will say I also like the way it looks with the top and in my quest for the ultimate light weight car keeping the HT and gutting the soft top gets me a lighter car especially with the HT removed. All said and done we are talking 50lbs tops though which isn't very significant.

I put it up for sale at a fairly high price so I'll wait and see what happens.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:33 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I would personally only sell it IF what I was buying would be something that is also super hard to pay for all at once....like a brand new set of Volks or whatever fancy wheel you desire/forced induction. The little things you want can be bought for not as much wallet pain here and there. If I sold something big like that top, I would want to know exactly what my money got me next.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:28 AM

Well it's been decided that the HT is going to go in favor of some other things. While I'm sure I'll miss it and end up regretting to some level I think I'm going to end up with a car that I actually enjoy more. Ultimately I want a car that's more fun to drive, not more fun to look at.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:12 AM

Got my coilovers put together last night. The packaging on these things was incredible. Everything was individually wrapped. I was impressed

I'll probably upgrade the springs sooner than later with some higher rate Hyperco or Swift springs.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:15 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Ohlins are so good.

Quick Reply: //steve\\ - Round 3