Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

thechase136's AP1 Time Attack Build

Old 12-30-2015, 06:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, the new setup is on the car but I'm running into some issues...

It turns out that one of my front steering knuckles is bent and I can't run more than ~2.2 deg of camber to accommodate a lower ride height yet. So until the replacement comes, I have to run the fronts a lot higher than I'd like with the rears matching for the time being.

Here's how she sits with the silly ride height and poke:

Attachment 175006

Attachment 175007

KW V3's installed:

thechase136's AP1 Time Attack Build-33jinbe.jpg

Rears:

Attachment 175009\

Fronts were rubbing at the lower ride height with -2.2 deg camber.

Attachment 175010

thechase136's AP1 Time Attack Build-p3izauc.jpg

Attachment 175012

The replacement knuckle should be here soon so I'll sort out the fitment issues, clean her up, and take some photos

I'm blown away by the immediate difference in feel. The turn in is incredibly responsive now and the front end grip is just ridiculous, I can see why most guys run a stiffer front sway bar on square setups.

The KW's are phenomenal, completely transformed how the car feels. It's now incredibly planted over bumps, you can really feel the shocks maintaining the contact patch with the road all the way throughout compression and rebound.

Quick changes in direction seem to be the biggest improvement even with the ride height the way it is. Coming from old, worn out all-seasons, the thing feels like a slot car in a slalom-like situation.

I'm incredibly excited to get it low again and really dial in the fitment and suspension setup, I can't imagine how good it's going to feel at the track at this point.

I'll be picking up a carbon hardtop tomorrow from Ballade, will report back with a quick review soon!
Old 12-30-2015, 07:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want more camber youre probably going to need aftermarket balljoints or upper control arms. Thats a good functional height though.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:41 PM

I had a really great experience today with Alex from Ballade Sports, who installed a new CF hardtop for me.

Fitment is perfect, the quality of the carbon and finish looks incredible, and wind noise is cut by about 60%. I'm incredibly happy with this piece and the customer service at Ballade was fastastic. Alex took me for a quick walk around the shop to see the race car and some different parts, I felt like a kid in a candy shop.

thechase136's AP1 Time Attack Build-bjgj8q5.jpg

thechase136's AP1 Time Attack Build-uiqqjjw.jpg

It completely changed the look of my car and I'm starting to fall in love with it all over again. I am beyond satisfied.

The only cons about the hardtop are to be expected with pretty much every hard top other than OEM so I'm not surprised.

You can hear it squeak and flex a bit over speed bumps and pulling out of driveways, but it's pretty minimal. You also have to avoid spraying the passenger window seal while washing it, because you'll completely soak your passenger seat, KW V3 manual, and taco bell that you just ordered. Ask me how I know.

I also worked on the ride height/fitment a bit more today and made some slight progress:

thechase136's AP1 Time Attack Build-9nooift.jpg

thechase136's AP1 Time Attack Build-526ewbo.jpg

thechase136's AP1 Time Attack Build-1in3jab.jpg

thechase136's AP1 Time Attack Build-vq823l3.jpg

She's getting there, folks.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:39 PM

Update on the (frustrating) bent steering knuckle situation:

Several hundreds of dollars later it turns out the steering knuckle is not bent after all, leaving an upper as the culprit. I'm going to replace everything with Buddy Club ball joints tomorrow to get the camber I need in the fronts, the adjustability is also a definite plus.

On the bright side, we got the car to sit at the height that I was looking for and it looks fantastic. I'll take some photos tomorrow after the 3rd alignment this week is finished.

After sitting in a Bride Zeta III in Evasive's waiting room for the better part of the day, I mentioned to Hugh that I was interested in some racing buckets and he took me out back to sit in two of the time attack cars to compare a couple of seats I was looking at. Since I'd need at least a harness bar for the belts, I asked about a roll bar and it turns out they had just taken out the cage from Rob's time attack car and it was just laying around.

One thing led to another and I ended up walking out with a cage from Rob Walker's car, a set of black Recaro Profi SPG's, Bride FG seat rails, a green Takata 4pt harness, an 330mm OMP Targa in black suede, a Works Bell short hub & Rapfix II quick release adapter, and a badass helmet visor decal.

All of that will probably be on the car next week, but this weekend I'll be at the track feeling out the new limits!
Old 01-14-2016, 07:17 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Interesting that you decided to go with a 4 point versus a proper 5/6 point harness.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by King Tut
Interesting that you decided to go with a 4 point versus a proper 5/6 point harness.
The car is still my DD, so I opted for the 4 point. I did also pick up the 5 pt conversion strap to use at the track though.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:16 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by thechase136
Originally Posted by King Tut' timestamp='1452788221' post='23852201
The car is still my DD, so I opted for the 4 point. I did also pick up the 5 pt conversion strap to use at the track though.
I'm assuming it's the Takata 4-point with the ASM technology.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:55 PM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
I'm assuming it's the Takata 4-point with the ASM technology.
I would also assume it's the Schroth Racing ASM technology belts with the Schroth Racing logo removed and the JDM Takata logo placed on. They probably should have tried that with their airbags. To answer Warren's question:

Originally Posted by WhyW
Is it green?
It's Takata so of course it is green, and the OP said they are green.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

5pt harness on a s2k??

Pics please.... As far as i know you can only do a 6pt properly.

I plan to have harnesses as well as my oem belts in place. It saves the extra couple of minutes of properly strapping yourself down.

Also how do you plan on attaching the shoulder straps safely with out a rollbar with harness bar?
Old 01-14-2016, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by APoner
5pt harness on a s2k??

Pics please.... As far as i know you can only do a 6pt properly.

I plan to have harnesses as well as my oem belts in place. It saves the extra couple of minutes of properly strapping yourself down.

Also how do you plan on attaching the shoulder straps safely with out a rollbar with harness bar?
I'll be running a Safety21 cage to use with the harnesses, no worries there.

I don't see why a 5pt wouldn't work in my car but if the need arises, I'll just pick up the 6pt conversion belt instead.

I'll update with pics once the parts come in.

Quick Reply: thechase136's AP1 Time Attack Build