Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Todds track/daily s2000

Old 01-03-2015, 06:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Todds track/daily s2000

Hey guys
I've owned the car for a year now and post on other Australian forums but they all have died down of late so I'll just be copying and pasting my posts from those forums here until I'm up to date.
Enjoy

I lost my license at the end of 2013 and parted out my old track eg civic and went on the hunt for a new car.
This is where this build thread begins

since parting it out ive been saving and searching for my replacement car. with the prospect of open license soon and turbo cars becoming a possibility the spectrum of what i could buy was limitless (well almost haha)
with all these options though i somehow kept coming back to a car id always loved and always wanted to own. With this in mind the decision became easy. I was going to buy a s2000. Now for the not so easy part, finding one that wasn't rubbish. A tough task but not impossible!

The search began and straight away it seemed like a doomed cause. Shitty bodywork to thrashed engines to repairable write offs and everything in between. Months of searching seemed to have been wasted until along came a bloke who was buying parts off my civic who turned out to be looking to sell his s2k. I kept in contact and about a month later I owned this baby.

2001 ap1 model
Silverstone silver
64,500 genuine kms
No accident/repair history nothing!
Full log book history
Clean as a whistle
Completely stock minus head unit, alarm and a carbing front strut brace

Now the car isn't perfect it's got a couple little body marks and the rear tow hook cover was stolen recently but I was happy. A price was agreed on and I was now the owner of the car I'd always wanted
A few little surprises came with it in the way of a car cover, torneau cover and stock head unit and cd stacker.

Of course me being me I began buying parts for the car even before a purchase was made. The list currently stands at
-itr red stitching shift boot
-Mugen ball type shift knob
-js racing cooling plate
-js racing tsuchinoko intake
-hood damper struts
-oem rear tow hook cover
-black leather s2000 seats
-bride zeta 3 type L bucket seats

I plan on having this car for a while so every modification will be done to get the car to a stage that I like. So far all the parts that have arrived/are in the mail are touch up or visual parts (debatable with the intake).
At the moment the parts I add to the car will be purely aesthetic as I want to drive the car stock for a while and learn it and experience it stock and see what it is capable of and then Start upgrading engine parts and suspension and bracing and see how it improves etc. This is something I never did with the civic. I'd also love to get it to the track early next year to see what it has got as a stock car and use this as something to compare back to.

peace!
Old 01-03-2015, 06:06 PM

Never really liked the red seats and as I'm going to be running a black bride drivers seat and the fact that I hate mismatched seats I bought a black set of stock seats

Installed them

went down to the jdmyard eoym with some friends and it was a good day.
took full advantage of the sale and got myself some more goodies to store away

mugen ball type shift knob

mishimoto x-line performance triple core radiator
Old 01-03-2015, 06:08 PM

Afinally got around to retrofitting the dc2 itr shift boot and fitted my mugen gearknob

It's not much but it's a nice little touch and I like it

hood struts turned up a few days before christmas so i installed them
put on the spoon reservoir socks and oil cap, removed the heat shields off the headers and took the heat mat off the underside of the bonnet. also removed all the leaves and dirt that had accumulated in the engine bay. just a general tidy up

decided to buy some more stuff

neo chrome 'nebula' coil cover

matching bolts

-tegiwa black battery stay
-black radiator stays
-clear flat side indicators

also did some cool upgrades with my insurance, rego and ctp

basically just doing all the little touch up bits and pieces that im unhappy with as i still want to experience the car stock in terms of performance and upgrade from there.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:08 PM

placed an order with js racing in japan

Tsuchinoko intake and matching cooling plate

then more parts showed up

new parts for my.....kia?? haha
4.77 fd for a diff rebuild later down the track

finally got around to fitting the bunch of parts i had sitting in my room

before:

my battery stay was all corroded and rusted and looked horrible so i ordered a tegiwa replacement in black.

i came across a company from the states that does neochrome parts and ordered their 'nebula' coil cover. it arrived and at first i was some what disappointed with the part as the website picture and what i received didnt quite match. however ive come to really like the way it looks with the red valve cover and its a nice touch. Also got some matching washers/bolts for the valve cover and front bumper.

the last and biggest install involved the js racing tsuchinoko intake. anyone who knows this intake knows that install involves cutting the bonnet/replacing vacuum/coolant lines etc. i was a little intimidated by this to begin with but in the end im very happy with how the install turned out.

during:

i still need to sand and smooth the edges of the cut and run a rubber strip around the edge but for the next couple of days this will do.
very happy with one doing the install myself as like i said the cutting the bonnet was a bit daunting to begin with and how the finished product looks with the addition of a few simple parts.
intake noise has increased dramatically and the engine now has a low rumble in low revs and once the throttle is open it roars.

end:

everything all fitted and looking amazing!
Old 01-03-2015, 06:12 PM

my vtec solenoid was all rusted and looked like shit and it really annoyed me. i originally bought a vtec solenoid cover but it just looked so tacky and fitted loosely and i just didnt like it at all.
next best thing...attack it with a can of spray paint

before:

after:

the day washot as (39 degrees) so after retreating to the shade for a midday break and a facebook lurk i accidently came across a part that was for sale that i was originally waiting to buy when i went across to japan. off we went to pick it up and grab some lunch and an hour later we were back at my friends place to install....

my bride zeta 3

it was a bit of a bitch to get in with the limited space inside the s2000 but after a couple of failed attempts (and lots of swearing) we finally got the seat in. i was a bit worried as i had read that the zeta 3 is a bit of a tight squeeze and fouled on the door etc after fitting i can see where this comes from. i probably have 1-2mm clearance to the door card on the wings of the seat. i couldnt be happier though being tall (6 ft 4) i could never fully see out of the windcreen when driving. installing the bride rail and seat has made my seat height much lower than stock and i can now see clearly!
NEED AFTERMARKET STEERING WHEE AND HUB ASAP!

mucked around and test fitted my mates SSR type C's on the car too. theyre 16x7 and look so tiny compared to the stock wheels :S
definitely going to run 17s and stagger 8/9 or 8.5/9.5 or something

with the bride in i wanted to protect it a little for the seatbelt constantly rubbing on the bolsters etc
so i bought some $1 kmart seat belt pads to help protect the bride

the jdm itr flat side indicators came. opted for the clear version as i like how it fits in with the silver

before:

after:

got another item that a friend was just getting rid of. it was a cusco catch can. tried a few spots to sit the can but there always seemed to be an issue with getitng the lines to it or nothing to bolt it to. ended up with this position. quite happy with the way the lines feed to it. at the moment im just running breather>can>intake and still running line from PCV to IM.

not the most ideal set up but it still creates vacuum and itll do for now until i can get caps to block off certain paths.
i have seen countless different ways of running catch can lines and every tuning shop seems to do it differently
at the end of the day still does its job
Old 01-03-2015, 06:12 PM

an ad popped up on one of the fb pages i follow and i jumped straight on this set of mugen bolts. picked them up that afternoon, ditched the neochrome bolts and installed the new bolts that afternoon.

how they look on my js racing cooling plate

i also purchased a set of downforce side diffusers and they turned up the other day. cant wait to install these and see how they look!

and one final piece. this is the part im most excited about. ive told myself over and over again that i was never going to go overboard with the s2000
well that went out the window and now i have a long wait till june for this to arrive

Old 01-03-2015, 06:13 PM

in february my girlfriend and i made our way to japan for a holiday. was absolutely amazing. did both car and non car related things and of course i bought back a bunch of stuff for the s2k

-js racing thermostat
-js racing thermo fan switch
-js racing ETD heat shield
-js racing oil filter stopper
-js racing oil cap
-js racing gold logo plaque
-3xmugen dress up bolts sets
-spoon magnetic transmission/engine bolts
-rays wheel nuts
-bride headrest
-3xbride seatbelt protector pads
-works bell quick release hub
-s2000 boss kit
-assorted japanese car magazines
-assorted stickers
-couple of js racing/tactical art t shirts (not pictured)
Old 01-03-2015, 06:14 PM
Community Organizer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice progress
Old 01-03-2015, 07:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice job so far. You should run your seatbelt through the side holes in the lower part of the seat, though.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Adrenalize
Nice progress
Thanks man. Will upload the rest once I get some time. Currently at work. We're up to about March last year at the moment haha

Originally Posted by AE_Racer
Nice job so far. You should run your seatbelt through the side holes in the lower part of the seat, though.
As above ^^^
Photo was taken after I had just installed the seat. Have since moved seat belt to go through the side holes

Quick Reply: Todds track/daily s2000