Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

// wingz' build: flyin' low

Old 09-06-2015, 07:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

// rebalance tires @ americas tire (livermore)

as mentioned above, i had a bad experience with wheel works in dublin. after self-diagnosing what would cause the right/left veering under acceleration/deceleration, i was convinced that the tires weren't either mounted/balanced correctly, or two of the tires were defects. i wanted someone to validate their work, so i went to a local americas tire.

i love americas tire. i've dealt with them in the past for another car (in a different location), and their service has always been top notch. they do free pressure checks, free tire rotations, and stand behind their product and service w/out charging you an extra dime. these are things the general population of folks can value and appreciate.

went to pick up some thai food afterwards and took a quick pic.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:44 AM

// evs 70ssp exhaust w/ 70mm tp

deciding on a exhaust was a bit difficult, especially keeping it within budge of <$1K. here's what i wanted (as much as possible), in order of priority:
  • proven gains
  • aesthetic
  • single
  • drone management
  • sound at cruising speed + wot
exhausts i considered:
  • asm 70mm ss
  • gotuning se single
  • gotuning se dual
  • t1r-em 70mm single
  • evs 70ssp single

i considered these setups because they have proven gains + they look good to my eye (some more than others). i didn't go w/ the asm because i didn't want to deal w/ the infamous rattle in the resonator. go tuning exhausts looked good, sounded good, but heard the drone was rough. their dual also made more power than their single.. , which was why i was considering the dual. the t1r-em was a great option, but i didn't like the muffler design as well as the dolphin tip design.

i came across a good package deal on this exhaust + tp from a local member who i noticed was selling his car. i reached out to him and asked if he was willing to part the exhaust, and he obliged.

on to the pics:

stock exhaust

evs 70ssp exhaust

i'm going to mess with the hangers to see if i can get it to sit a tad lower, and a tad to the right. otherwise, i'm happy with how it looks!

comparison between 60mm and 70mm, quite the difference:

here's a clip of me starting the car right after install:

[media]https://vimeo.com/138452200[/media]

initial impressions after a quick drive:
  • louder than i thought (at least from inside the cabin)
  • sound/drone controllable w/ throttle
  • slight drone at 3K rpm, but gone at higher rpm (4K and up)
  • screams at wot! amazing sound!
i'll update my thoughts after doing a cruise test on the fwy/hwy.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:07 AM

i'm just about caught up on all of my updates!

// car detail

today, justin (s2ki handle: jayjones) is at my house detailing the car. i'll post a review of his work with some pictures when its all said and done.

the death and demise of having a black car is that you can see all the dirt and imperfections better than any other color. especially the light scratches/swirl marks. at the same time, there isn't another color that looks as sharp as a berlina s when its gone through a thorough detail.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this! Car looks awesome!
Old 09-06-2015, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by WhyW
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this! Car looks awesome!
thanks bud. your s is my favorite ssm on the boards. makes me miss mine. i also think your s isn't getting all the attention is should be getting.

have fun in london! (reading via instagram)
Old 09-06-2015, 11:05 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I your 17x10 volks wish I had picked up a set of those. I see your in the livermore/pleasanton area you ever take your car for a cruise up mines road? I am right over vasco in brentwood
Old 09-06-2015, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great so far! got me looking at those Zoom mirrors now.

What are you using to take you pictures? They're really sharp
Old 09-06-2015, 11:51 AM

Good looking buils thus far!
Old 09-06-2015, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by jr94513
I your 17x10 volks wish I had picked up a set of those. I see your in the livermore/pleasanton area you ever take your car for a cruise up mines road? I am right over vasco in brentwood
oh nice! we should meet up for some coffee sometime soon. i haven't done the mines drive yet. just looked at it on the map and it looks like a great drive. do you typically see a lot of LE's on the drive? i've explored some back roads (not w/ the s) just north of the 580 in dublin/san ramon area, and it has some nice twisty roads, too.

Originally Posted by s2tommi
Looks great so far! got me looking at those Zoom mirrors now.What are you using to take you pictures? They're really sharp
thanks bud. i think you'll like the mirrors if you're looking for additional visibility! i'm just using my iphone 6. its a great camera in general, but not as good as a dslr. i'll whip out the dslr and take some better pictures once the car is clean.

Originally Posted by clarkster009
Good looking buils thus far!
Old 09-06-2015, 01:12 PM

update: first polish is done...

one more round of polish and then wax before she's really clean.

Quick Reply: // wingz' build: flyin' low