Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

xDreaming/AndyTheLandShark's Slow Build

Old 06-09-2015, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xDreaming/AndyTheLandShark's Slow Build

All dates are approximate. Just going off of memory and Instagram weeks. If you're looking for a mod list, go straight to the bottom of the post. The rest of this is just background information

As like any teenager I was looking around for a cool set of wheels. I wanted something that would be reasonable and cool and it had to be a Honda. I had been a Honda fanboy when growing up. That's what I was mostly around. My mother's first car was a 90 Civic Hatchback, so it must have jumpstarted my love for them. so I started my search for a Civic. Yea, yea. I know, not really that cool, but again, I was a teenager. Specifically, I wanted a 96-00 Hatchback with a DOHC swap. Now, since I live in California, we have to smog and pass emissions and we cannot pass smog with a swap engine if it hasn't been passed by BAR (Bureau of Automotive), and naturally, most owners that met my initial criteria didn't have it pass the BAR test. I lost interest in buying a Civic for a while because of this. I started looking into other Honda's besides the Civic that would be realistic for someone like me. I needed something that could get me to school and work, but also I wanted something performance oriented. I saw the S2000 and I fell in love. I had never noticed it before and I knew I had to own one.

Starting in August 2012, I started doing as much research on these cars as I could. I found out that a large amount of you guys like RPF1's and that I absolutely NEEDED to run a 255 up front. I started looking online for S2000's in September. I didn't care what s2000 I got, I had to have one so I started looking at cheaper ones, so generally 00-01 AP1's. I couldn't find one that was clean for a while, but I was persistent. I kept looking every day, and then, there she was.

2006 Silverstone with 44k and the best part was that it was in the next town over and that I didn't even need to drive all the way to the Bay Area or to SoCal. No pictures up yet. Barely put up on the website. I did what any rational person would do, and go to the dealership and see it asap. It was in the back of Acura of Modesto, so I went to talk to the lady inside. She said "I really shouldn't be showing you. It's not ready yet, but I'll do it this time." I look at it and it looks like it had been sitting for a month or 2, but everything was straight. I ask the lady when it will be for sale, and she says most likely within the next couple of weeks. I give her my number and I told her to call me when it's ready and I'll be back and that was the end of that.

October 2012: I get a call maybe 3 days later. The lady calls me to tell me it's ready. I go back to see it. It looks immaculate! I would gladly eat off of it. The paint looks great. No dings, dents, scratches etc. Not only that, but it has a few tasteful mods already done that I wanted to do myself, but someone else already beat me too it. Saved money I guess. I was in love. I told them that I would be back. I needed my father to approve so that I could have him be my cosigner, as I do not have credit. I come back a few days later with my dad. He says it's a very clean car and that he approves. We negotiate until 11 PM or so. 2 hours AFTER they have closed. The owner of Acura said that we are buying it for what they paid for it and that the only money they are making is the APR percentage and that hopefully we would buy a car from them in the future as well. I might. They were very friendly and were not pushy at all. Very laid back.

We leave that night with it for $20.5k and I'm as happy as can be. Please don't judge me for my not-so-tasteful Instagram filters. It's the only pictures I can find

Previous Owners Mod List:

Koni Yellow's
Tein Springs
Greddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust
CT Engineering Intake
Beatrush Front Strut Bar
Beatrush Front Lower Performance Bar

Tasteful mods and made me love the car even more than a stock s2000.

Unfortunately, a few months later I got into an accident. It was about 10PM and I was on my way back home from dropping off bills and mail and on the way back, I hit a small bear, or so I like to tell people. It was about the size of a built Pit Bull. I'm just thankful that the 'bear' didn't fly into my passenger seat as I was top down. It ended up literally shitting itself on my car. The damage was a bent in fender, cracked front bumper, destroyed headlight, and a bent bracket. Wish it didn't happen, but oh well. I have insurance for a reason. I took it to a repair shop locally that works mainly on the local Cadillac, Chevy, and GMC dealerships. It ends up taking almost 3 weeks to repair, but it looked great. No complaints from me other than the $500 out of pocket.

May 2013: I end up buying my first POS Civic. It was a clean title 93 Si shell. I had big plans for it, but I decided that it was too much of a hassle and that if I wanted another car that it should at least run. I stripped it and parted it out and traded the bare frame/shell June 2014 for about $300 worth of fireworks. I'm pretty sure it's scrapped by now. If not, I hope whoever bought it just needed a straight body to transfer parts on to. I miss that thing and I have no idea why. It never ran, but at least it had coilovers. This was pointless info, but I threw it in anyways.

April 2013: Blew my OEM clutch. I believe it had 66k miles, give or take. If any of you are familiar with the area, I drove it from Modesto to the SJ on a slipping clutch to go to my dad's mechanic friend. He said he could get to it next week. I ordered a stage 2 clutch and an ultra lightweight flywheel from Competition Clutch in the meantime. I tried to drive it to SJ again, but right as I was making it to the top of the Altamont, the clutch blew. I sat on the side of the road for an hour and waited for the police officer to push me. I waited another hour for my dad to pick me up after he got off work. He called a tow truck and I waited about a week for my car to get finished. I didn't trust my dad's friend. I just had a certain vibe, but he did it as a favor to my dad so I couldn't say no. Also, they had an FD3S in the shop, so it made me feel a little more comfortable.

January 2014: Went to my first track day with a couple acquaintances. Some would become some of my better friends. I had a blast. Being 1 of 2 RWD cars while the other is an N/A 300zx (Z32), I can say I definitely felt special. Got to do some sliding and being the fastest car was a great feeling. I wish I could go back. I'll get to that later though. I was going once a month and kept improving times. I knew that I needed more downforce up front as well as stickier/wider tires up front, but I couldn't afford it so I was saving up.

March 2014: I went on my first s2000 cruise with the S2K CA crowd to Napa Valley. Mainly older guys so I felt out of place, but the really are a cool bunch. They're just a little too slow pace for me. I would have loved to touge through the mountains, but they are responsible, while I am not. Unfortunately that day, two of us got into accidents. The other person (who was boosted) hit sand and slid into the side of a mountain. He was fine afterwords. I rear ended someone in bumper to bumper traffic, which I was not used to at the time. It only damaged the hood and front bumper minimally. The hood was bent back into place and the scratches came out after a detailing. Unfortunately, the headlight got messed up :/

Two weeks later, I was jacking up my car to do a routine oil change and the jack slipped. It crunched my fender so I mobbed around for a while without a driver side fender. I wanted to take off both. That way it at least would be symmetrical, but my mother obliged to the idea. I like the way it looks. I've seen a couple s2000's like that, usually with wide wheels/tires and it just works. I believe Suzuka Scott did this for a while? I even went touging like this and honestly it was amazing.

June 2014: I was getting new tires at America's Tire's, and they tell me it will be about an hour - an hour and a half. I leave the car to get my new rears that I desperately needed. I go home and get a call about an hour later. I anticipate that it's a call from the tire shop and that they're going to say it's ready. I answer and they tell me that they have good and bad news. 1. being, yes the tires are mounted, but 2. being that someone hit my quarter panel when it was parked. I ask if they're joking, and he says "I wish I was." I leave my house and go to see the damage. Of course I over reacted, but now that means that there is going to HAVE to be bondo on my car unless I get a quarter panel, but I couldn't afford it then. I regret it. Of course it's some older guy with a big ass truck. All he says is "What's done is done. Here's my insurance." I get cashed out for $1800. That's enough to respray my front end, fix the quarter panel, buy a fender and new headlight. I looked for a picture and couldn't find one, so have one from a day before

September 2014: I blew another clutch, but this time there's an added bonus! I messed up my pressure plate as well. I was pissed. To this day, I still believe that my dad's friend didn't install my other clutch properly. I will never go to him again. I have a new mechanic who's shop is within 10 minutes of walking, so probably only a half mile away and he's always done good for my friends and I. I had my car diagnosed. He tore it apart, told me what was wrong, and I ordered the parts through THMotorsports. Another stage 2 clutch and pressure plate from Competition Clutch. My order was delayed and because of that, I was charged for storage fees. BTW, every time I've ordered through them, the shipping has been delayed, so I'm not going to order through them unless I absolutely need something that only they carry

Me walking away from the UPS truck. I didn't even let him get out of the truck to give me the package

October 2014: I attended the S2000 Mega Meet at Sonoma Raceway. I got so many ideas from all the s2000 owners. Most were either stock-ish or more track oriented. Only a handful (if that) that were more on the appearance side. I like both crowds. It was definitely a blast.

November 2014: Went back to the track to try out the tires for the first time. They weren't anything special. Just some Falken Ziex 612+.

More on the next post!!
Old 06-09-2015, 11:17 PM

Christmas Day 2014: I plasi-dipped a bomber/shark mouth on my bumper. I've wanted to do it for a while and just said F*** it one day and went to Home Derpo. It came out much better than I expected. Don't take offense with my 'Blood' hand sign. It was a joke. I got/get a lot of head nods, thumbs up, points, smiles, girls, and compliments on it every day. It puts a smile on my face just seeing the reactions people give me when they see the land shark mobbing the streets.

February 2015: I got caught going to the Auto-X track in the middle of the night. It was an abandoned air base and he wrote me down for trespassing. It's only a written warning, but if I get caught there again within the next year, I'll get a hefty ticket for trespassing and defiance, so I'm going to stay low for now. I heard that Mythbusters and Tesla are arguing about who is going to buy the property. Pretty cool! Maybe this area will finally have something to do.

Late April 2015: My first REAL mod. I buy a new set of Fortune Auto 500's with 12k/10k f/r spring rates. It rides great and goes as low as I want it to. I can't say for performance because I haven't gone to the track since my incident with the Police Officer, but they do feel more planted to the ground even when I go through a corner fast. As a joke, I wanted to go rediculously low for a couple weeks. I'm not sure if it's just because I'm lazy or if I like it, but I still haven't raised my car yet. I think I like it too much and have adjusted to scraping on everything.

Early May 2015: Rolled my front fenders. It was eating at the sidewalls of my tires.
Late May 2015: Busted my O2 sensor, Cat, and misfire sensor. FML. Got the sensors fixed. Probably going to straight pipe/test pipe soon and just recycle the cat and buy a new one when I need to smog.
May 30, 2015: Stupid me swerved out of the way of hitting a rabbit and hit a cement island. Bent my radiator support, but the frame is fine.
June 8, 2015: Sent in my car to the frame shop to have the radiator support fixed.
June 9, 2015: Got my car back and not only did he fix the radiator support, he also aligned my headlight properly and fixed my hood at no extra cost!

Here are the most recent photo's of my car

Current Mods List:

Fortune Auto 500 Coilovers
Greddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust
Beatrush Front Strut Bar
Beatrush Lower Front Support Bar
CT Engineering Intake

I know it's not much, but we all start somewhere, right?
Next I need to redo my soft top and repaint my front clip. Hopefully soon too!

Constructive criticism is welcome, positive or negative.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work Tycho Broje
Old 06-10-2015, 09:41 AM
Community Organizer

Received 212 Likes on 137 Posts

No man, c'mon. Stop it. Please stop it.

Listen. If you're going to do this to a car, don't do it to a stock S2000. Do it to that Civic you bought! Or your friend's Civic! As a prank! But don't rice this car. Make no mistake, this is rice. Please, before you do something you can't undo, hand your parents the keys to this car and back slowly away.

Thank you.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:47 AM

Great build OP. You're off to a great start.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_

Listen. If you're going to do this to a car, don't do it to a stock S2000. Do it to that Civic you bought! Or your friend's Civic! As a prank! But don't rice this car. Make no mistake, this is rice. Please, before you do something you can't undo, hand your parents the keys to this car and back slowly away.

Thank you.
^ OP (Andy) let the haters be your motivators. Keep on innovating fam.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:52 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ricky u just a hater all u do is hate this is innovating kep innovating bro and hbd bro ricky just mad he not 18 nemore
Old 06-10-2015, 09:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

tl;dr
That's a cool story bro, but let me get an expert on cool stories down here so I know what I'm dealing with.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:58 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

You like Touge. You should read Andrewhake's build, you guys will get along well
Old 06-10-2015, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bad1flip
Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_' timestamp='1433958066' post='23643532

Thank you.
^ OP (Andy) let the haters be your motivators. Keep on innovating fam.
Fernando changed his name? I need a name change too, who do I speak with?

Quick Reply: xDreaming/AndyTheLandShark's Slow Build