Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thinking about getting a motorcycle

Old 10-18-2015, 04:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thinking about getting a motorcycle

I've been watching some YouTube videos like Do It With Dan, 6 foot 4 honda, Snowcatxx87, and I think I got bit with a bug because now I want a motorcycle. The real reason for me getting one is because of my school. Parking there (Cal State LA) absolutely sucks! the motorcycles have their own little spot exclusively for them.

I've been doing some research and I am looking at smaller displacement sport bikes (250-300cc range). I saw a really nice 2013 CBR250R Repsol for sale and I was wondering if this is the kind of bike you can jump on the freeway with? I've been told by people to jump into a 600cc bike but I'm pretty sure I'm not ready for one of those yet.

I have no prior experience to riding a motorcycle but I will be enrolling in a motorcycle safety course. I was referred to one in Mt. Sac but I'm open to any other ones if you recommend any.

I am also curious about insurance and how that would work. People have told me it was cheap to insure a bike but I've seen some full coverage premiums go for 600 a month on a cbr250r! Maybe people just get liability? I'll post some info about myself below.
Sex: male
Experience on a motorcycle: none
Last ticket and accident: both in 2011
Primary use: commuting
Frequent visited freeways in order from most used to rarely used: 110 N, 5 N and S, 10 W and E, 710, 60, 210, 605, 14, 1.

Any advice will be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 10-19-2015, 05:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's nothing wrong with a 250 but I wouldn't spend money on one you can't get right back out of it. They aren't the slowest things in the world but you will quickly outgrow it. Yes they will run on the highway but will be in the high RPMs the whole time (top speed is roughly 105 to 110 so you can do the math on where you'll be running). I just got a 600 myself, having ridden my friends 250s and 500s a handful of times. I don't regret it one bit. I bought it for fun and eventual track days though, no plan of commuting on it so I can't help much in that aspect.

If you stay within your element and understand what each bike can do you'll be fine regardless of what you buy. Go to a big parking lot the first time or two and learn there. Straight line riding is easy. Turning and braking are what take getting used to as well as the weight of the bike
Old 10-21-2015, 07:34 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I think if you take a safety class you will have had all the time you'll want on a 250. Personally I'd look for an old 500-800 cc bike, something with cosmetic issues, and learn to ride on it for a year or two, then when you know better, move onto something you'd like better.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. I still have a lot of time to think about what bike I am going to start off on. I'll be looking for the lease expensive bike thats in good shape.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 600cc R6 as my first bike. I've read that over and over it's best to start small unless you can control yourself. I feel like I can, and so I went big lol. Go with what you want, and if you feel you can stay responsible go with a bigger one
Old 11-23-2015, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FluKy15
I bought a 600cc R6 as my first bike. I've read that over and over it's best to start small unless you can control yourself. I feel like I can, and so I went big lol. Go with what you want, and if you feel you can stay responsible go with a bigger one
I know this is a bit late but I did the same thing. I did take a course and went with a GSX-R600. There definitely are temptations to speed but you just have to learn to control em.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

start off with a SV650 (used),Cbr250,Ninja300,Yamaha R3.
take MSF class..
get some nice gears for daily commute.
then you can upgrade to R6,GSXR600,CBR600RR zx6R later on..
Old 01-13-2016, 12:46 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Pick up a 450cc supermotard, easy riding position, lighter then a 250 sport bike and some depending on model have double the power of one. So its easy to learn on and manage, yet keep you interested for ever, no matter your skill level. Super flickable, out turn anything else on the street and wheelie fun out of the turns. The platform is just more versatile and a ton of fun to ride over a standard seated position sport bike as far as playing, and shorter commuting duty goes. Nice on gas as well since so light with single cylinder. Some guys like sport bikes though and that's ok. Depends on what excites you most. I like to look at them, but have more fun actually riding a motard myself.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started on a Ninja 250. It was a good bike and the engine could scream for hours on the highway, no problem. I drove mine for about 3 hours going 75-80mph. Since you live in LA, I would get a bigger bike through. I probably would not start on a superbike through. Those things are pretty heavy (IMO). The supermoto is a good suggestion. I would say those are more fun than superbikes.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:28 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Depends on how much you want to spend and how much you know about proper care of a motorcycle.

I got my license at 43, did not care about going fast, just wanted a nice safe bike to ride once in a while that can get out of its own way and was light enough for me to handle.

A couple you might want to consider strictly for the availability of ABS and relative cheapness.

Ninja 300 and KTM Duke 390 will have a little go and available ABS. You might find a Honda CBR 500/CB 500f/ CB500x used for under $4500 with ABS. I bought the f and it has plenty of power for me but I wanted something I did not have to worry about any mechanical issues since I am new to bikes and had ABS.

My ABS has only come on once, when some lady did something real stupid in front of me. Glad I had it equipped. The 500 has more than enough power for me, but I weigh 155 pounds. If you are 200+ you will need some power.

On the higher price side, I have seen used Ninja 600 ABS's in the less than $5k range used which is pretty good in a bike that can do a lot and would keep you satisfied for a long time.

But nothing with ABS will be in the $2k craigslist range.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a motorcycle