Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What bike do I really want to start out on?

Old 10-12-2007, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good original post - nice explanations

one note/question about the gear

i have 3 jackets - MotoGP leather, JR textile, and JR mesh; as well as 2 pairs of pants MotoGP textile and JR mesh

when it is 80F outside I put on the JR textile jacket, and JR mesh pants; they zip together and form a "suit". I have tried wearing the motoGP leather jacket and motoGP textile pants in this weather, but I approach heatstroke vicinity after a few hours. In conclusion, am I better off becoming sluggish and too hot in the heavier gear, than more alert in the lighter gear?

one other thing...
when the temperature jumps to the 90s, my experienced biker friends go squid, and wear a t-shirt and jeans. I cannot allow myself to do that. am I not better off wearing all armored mesh than what they are wearing?

i just think that comfort has some importance too

some of my gear (just for reference), please comment:

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/bargain...cle_jacket.html
^^^upgraded the back pad

http://newenough.com/closeouts/bargain_bas...cle_jacket.html

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/small_m...cle_jacket.html
^^^better than a t-shirt (for extremely hot days)
Old 10-16-2007, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by DimaK321,Oct 12 2007, 09:22 AM
good original post - nice explanations

one note/question about the gear

i have 3 jackets - MotoGP leather, JR textile, and JR mesh; as well as 2 pairs of pants MotoGP textile and JR mesh

when it is 80F outside I put on the JR textile jacket, and JR mesh pants; they zip together and form a "suit". I have tried wearing the motoGP leather jacket and motoGP textile pants in this weather, but I approach heatstroke vicinity after a few hours. In conclusion, am I better off becoming sluggish and too hot in the heavier gear, than more alert in the lighter gear?

one other thing...
when the temperature jumps to the 90s, my experienced biker friends go squid, and wear a t-shirt and jeans. I cannot allow myself to do that. am I not better off wearing all armored mesh than what they are wearing?

i just think that comfort has some importance too
I'll try to keep it short and sweet. If it's too hot to wear perforated leather, it's too hot to ride. I have worn non perforated leather in the hottest or very near the hottest (100+ outside, probably 120+ sitting still on the highway surface) conditions in the United States on long rides in traffic. You can do it if you are in good physical shape AND well hydrated. If you can't, then you can't, take the car. Remember, that's with non perforated that I also wear in the winter that keeps me very warm.

I have a Vanson perforated jacket that's more than bearable in houston summer heat. Also for the record, perforated leather pants are cooler than jeans in most conditions.

Comfort is a concern but to what degree is arguable. If you are riding a super sport race bike with terrible ergos to begin with.. No one said riding motorcycles was an overly comfortable hobby/lifestyle.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ,Oct 12 2007, 07:14 AM
"6. Avoid group rides period IMO"

I assume this means when you are just starting off? I hope it doesn't mean always, as that sort of conjecture has little relevance to the topic at hand.
I am directing this towards newbies but frankly I am willing to apply it to everyone unless you REALLY know who you are riding with. I can't even begin to tell you how many bad crashes I've seen on group rides. I never ride with more than 2 other guys, and I've only done that once or twice. Most of the people I respect as riders will not ride in anything called a "group ride" because of the behavior a lot of sport bikers instinctively seem to conform to of reckless riding.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To that extent, I agree. There are some really reckless riders out there and you'd be putting yourself in danger trying to keep up. I have been through that as well.

There are also bad riders that you get stuck behind, parking the bike in a turn while you're taking it at a decent speed.

Definitely ride with people you know ride safely. I love group rides and wouldn't say "don't do them" but it is important to know your fellow riders.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on newbies should avoid groups. There is a peer pressure to keep up even among experienced riders and you just don't need that added to all your other beginner stress.

Riding with a single buddy who knows you is a good idea though. Have him follow you (or meet at a known turn) so you ride your own pace. That way you have assistance if you go down or even just drop your bike.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by sahtt,Oct 17 2007, 02:02 AM
I am directing this towards newbies but frankly I am willing to apply it to everyone unless you REALLY know who you are riding with.
I went out on a group ride with friends that I knew had a very high level of skill when someone joined us and nobody noticed till it was to late. The new rider went down in a turn and nearly took out 3 of us as well. After we helped the guy out and got everything sorted out it turned out nobody knew him, every one thought someone else brought him. Turns out he just thought it would be nice to ride in a pack. Always make sure you know who you are riding with.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:17 PM

Just this past weekend I went on the first group ride I've done in probably a year. 45 miles in to it a newer rider on a brand new raven R6 hit the brakes on a tight left hander and crashed. His body bent a street sign, ironically the only one within about a 10 minute radius.

He came on a new SS. He left in a helicopter. Be careful out there guys.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:24 PM

what about a the 620 ducati monsters? Are they good starter bikes?
Old 01-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by antonio88x,Jan 9 2008, 07:24 PM
what about a the 620 ducati monsters? Are they good starter bikes?
They're called Monsters for a reason.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:04 PM

Oh ok, thanks. Yeah I think I'm just going to get the '08 ninja 250.

Quick Reply: What bike do I really want to start out on?