California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

OEM vented hood

Old 03-14-2017, 05:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OEM vented hood

Anyone in the Bay Area feel comfortable cutting the vents to an OEM hood? Willing to compensate for the time or trade my hood for one with vents. Color I'm looking for is SSM. This is off a my00. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Facebook Post

for some reason my facebook link doesn't show. There's a few for sale there.
also:
Old 03-14-2017, 07:11 PM

To hopefully get some heat out from under the hood for this. Your fb post didn't work.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:19 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by S_DosMil
To hopefully get some heat out from under the hood for this. Your fb post didn't work.
Cutting out the vents doesn't help you with heat. You need a hood with vents to help guide the air out.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:58 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

U would have ur electrical open the the environment. Not good. And ur air filter will be dirty very Fast and don't forget rain. Just a concern of mine.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:47 AM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/diy-vented-aluminum-hood-324009/page11/

seems some peoole had had good results. I'm perfectly fine with giving this a go since I can always find another OEM hood and paint it. Thanks for the concerns fellow members. Just trying to alleviate some under hood temps. Btw the car is really only driven during spring/summer. maybe once or twice a week. Depending on egt and iats, I would like to get it down to a speed sf event to see how the car does.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jr94513
Cutting out the vents doesn't help you with heat. You need a hood with vents to help guide the air out.

Originally Posted by Singh_snisen
U would have ur electrical open the the environment. Not good. And ur air filter will be dirty very Fast and don't forget rain. Just a concern of mine.
i've had a vented hood for about 6 years now. the only downfall is that my engine bay gets dirtier faster. at least he has his battery relocated so he should be fine

you should really get more cooling though. doesn't hurt to have a good airflow and room for heat
Old 03-15-2017, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by tkeyyy

i've had a vented hood for about 6 years now. the only downfall is that my engine bay gets dirtier faster. at least he has his battery relocated so he should be fine

you should really get more cooling though. doesn't hurt to have a good airflow and room for heat
can you recommend a hood that's aftermarket with decent fitment and not carbon fiber? Any other suggestions for heat dispersal?
Old 03-15-2017, 01:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S_DosMil
can you recommend a hood that's aftermarket with decent fitment and not carbon fiber? Any other suggestions for heat dispersal?
js frp hood. still costs some money though :/
just curious, but why not cf? it's cheaper to get a vis cf hood with similar styles to js, mugen, spoon, top secret, etc, than to buy an authentic frp hood.

hear dispersal - something other than an oem bumper. i'd get a voltex front bumper (or even a rep) and use the side inserts to collect air for cooling your engine bay and/or fresh air to your filter.
if you don't want a different bumper, you can try cutting your oem bumper to fit one of those ram intake inserts to feed fresh air to your engine bay << probably the better route, but have to cut your oem bumper

again, this is all with some sort of vented hood and not a cut oem hood. vented hoods pull the heat from the engine bay when driving. oem cut hood wouldn't work as efficiently. not sure how well it would work when you're driving. most def works when you're not driving though
Old 03-15-2017, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
js frp hood. still costs some money though :/
just curious, but why not cf? it's cheaper to get a vis cf hood with similar styles to js, mugen, spoon, top secret, etc, than to buy an authentic frp hood.

hear dispersal - something other than an oem bumper. i'd get a voltex front bumper (or even a rep) and use the side inserts to collect air for cooling your engine bay and/or fresh air to your filter.
if you don't want a different bumper, you can try cutting your oem bumper to fit one of those ram intake inserts to feed fresh air to your engine bay << probably the better route, but have to cut your oem bumper

again, this is all with some sort of vented hood and not a cut oem hood. vented hoods pull the heat from the engine bay when driving. oem cut hood wouldn't work as efficiently. not sure how well it would work when you're driving. most def works when you're not driving though
I'm not a fan of the CF look. I would just end up painting over it. I plan on running some flex pipe to get air flow from outside in the engine bay? I'm also curious why you guys don't think it would work? People on other threads show IATs significantly lower with OEM hood vents. I'll just look at the aftermarket scene and see what my options are. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: OEM vented hood