California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Trip to JAPAN

Old 09-19-2010, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Trip to JAPAN

Hey Everyone,

I'm heading to JAPAN in 2 weeks and I'll be there for 2 weeks on VACATION. I would like to get your advice/suggestions on where to go, what to see, and anything else. This can include anything and everything from anywhere within the country. I'm looking to visit some racetracks, but I'm having a hard time finding out what events are being held and when. Website links would help also, and since I cannot read Japanese some sites make it tough. Any help would be much appreciated. PMs are welcome!

Thanks,
bw
Old 09-19-2010, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What part of japan are you going to? I went to tokyo back in march and can tell you where I went, but Japan is a big place.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:35 AM

@skylinrcr01... I'm flying into Tokyo so that will be my first stop.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:29 PM

bring me back some jdm goodies!! lol
Old 09-19-2010, 07:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to Japan for 2 weeks in March. Spent 5 nights in tokyo, 2 nights in Hiroshima and 4 in Kyoto. Did some day trips out of Tokyo. Went to Kamakura and Hikone. Both are easy day trips and well worth doing. Kyoto was nice but there's only so many temples and shrines one can do before getting bored. If you do go to Kyoto I recommend seeing the monkeys if you get bored of temples.

I think one of the best places I went to was Mijiyama, which is near Hiroshima. Its an island with the famous floating Tori gate. There's a really neat hike up to the mountain which has amazing views. I didn't do any car things while in Japan but did a lot of sight seeing. Have fun!!! Japan is awesome and feels like another world at times.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:59 PM

Tsukiji / Tokyo fish market

Lucky you B...
Old 09-19-2010, 09:28 PM

When I was in tokyo the things I did that I reccomend are Akihabara, Disney Sea (very highly reccomended), Tokyo tower, walking around in alley ways to check out some of the back shops (we did this in shinjuku), walk around a Bic camera, if you like anime check out the Ghibli muesum, and ride a stop or two on the bullet train.
tokyo tower:

view from the tower

thing on the roof of the museum

entrance to disney sea
Old 09-19-2010, 10:36 PM

bring back a japanese girl!
Old 09-19-2010, 10:50 PM

if you plan on traveling to different cities, get a Japan Rail pass. its SUPER convenient and will save you lots of money and time. and you can you use it as a free JR metro pass within cities. theres also a tourist office in every rail station, be sure to check into there, theres usually a good english speaker and can provide english maps, advice what to do/eat/see and even help book a hotel.

check the supergt schedule and go. i went to sendai to go to Sugo racetrack and see the race there. also look at the sumo schedule and see if thats convenient. i traveled to nagoya just to watch sumo, and loved going to the toyota museum. thats amazing for car nuts.

i was in japan for 4 weeks, was awesome. but really expensive... spent a week in tokyo and went to about a dozen other cities. i loved them all, wish i didnt stay in tokyo so long. sapporo was the best, beer festival! and had an amazing night in kyoto with some locals i met at a bar. every city has a different flair, a local specialty dish or something unique that you really cant get anywhere else.

im learning japanese right now so i can go back and be more open with the locals. since im korean, i mostly just fit in and nobody would bother me, but i know my white friends got a lot of attention and curious people randomly talking to them.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is super expensive there. Spent 5k for the 2 weeks not including air, and I am a budget traveler. Subway is your friend if your not into Japanese food. Oh and if you want Mexican food.. good luck. The only place I could find was an el torito in Shinjuku station.

Buy a suica card when you land in Narita. It's very convenient when riding the subways and trains in Tokyo, and you can get a discount on it if you combine it with the Narita express train. If you haven't got JR pass it's probably two late to buy it now as you have to buy it I think a month ahead of time and only outside of Japan.

This site was extremely helpful when I was planning our trip. Lots of great information. http://www.japan-guide.com/

Quick Reply: Trip to JAPAN