Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

1999 jag xk8

Old 09-01-2016, 04:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is this one of the years with the Ford based motor that needs the timing chain guides replaced?
Old 09-01-2016, 05:41 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by David1
Is this one of the years with the Ford based motor that needs the timing chain guides replaced?
I believe it is. It's the 4.0 V8, not the 4.2, both of which are "AJ" engines.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:04 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, this 4.0 Jag built engine has the timing chain tensioners that are mostly plastic, over time they decompose, maybe 80,000 miles. It would be good to change them ahead of the problem, I have time.

My understanding is that Ford infused Jag with cash, they then designed and built their own cars, this is a British car with some nod to ford, I suspect the window switches are from a ford product and maybe the radiator cap, but not much else. the owners manual is written in the King's English (tyres, hood, boot,etc..)

It does remind me of an American car mostly due to the fact that it is quiet, smooth, and you cannot hear the exhaust. Step on it and the engine sounds a bit,but it's not part of the Jag experience I am learning, there is little visceral experience about this car.

Usual problems includes sensors, throttle body, chain tensioners, dead batteries from non use, burnt out light bulbs due to age and non use.

This car needs some tlc, a real major service, which I am going to give it, again it's a project car, one that I knew needed work and my cost for the car gives me allot of wiggle room till it hits whatever retail maybe, close to $10,000-15,000 or more(39,000 miles on the clock and the clock actually works!).
Old 09-02-2016, 05:11 AM

I would do a brake fluid flush and transmission pan/filter/fluid change.

Ford was the best thing to happen to Jaguar until Tata bought them. Tata got one heck of a deal.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:12 AM

I would do a brake fluid flush and transmission pan/filter/fluid change.

Ford was the best thing to happen to Jaguar until Tata bought them. Tata got one heck of a deal.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:35 PM

So far i am getting a check engine light fixed...that's a map or maf, an old sensor...can't remember, then smog passing...then i will do a coolant service, oil and filter, change air and cabin filter, plugs, radiator cap...and eventually the TC tensioners . the trans i can leave, power steering fluid is fine too. brake fluid change, and check original brakes for pads and rotors, balance the wheels (it's been sitting for years)

the body has a dent or scratch in every corner and on the bumpers but the paint and especially the top are excellent nick...i have done a quick wax and plan for a clay bar...change out rear speakers which are blown as well and a couple of light bults..it's 17 years old after all...and basically it all works.

Think Ed China, wheeler dealers except I do not intend to turn a profit, I probably will as these things are appreciating in value and appeal to a different kind of car nut than myself ultimately, but for now what I like most of all is it's a project car for me to learn about and work on!!!!

What is a bonus is that many parts are off the shelf at Oreiley's and can fit ford and lincoln cars of that vintage...so far the only ford part I can find is the key fob (mine has a cat on it anyway), and the window switches, period.

This is a Jag built engine for sure. 4.0 lt, 290 hp , the last of the v8's if you will.....well they still make v8's but that's how i like to think of this car.
it really is a nod to the old xke, although the one we got at that time is more of a luxury car than a sports performance car. It's a different drive for sure and there are not many around...back seat is just little more than a parcel shelf....and you can do allot with that large trunk made for two sets of clubs if you golf....
Old 09-07-2016, 06:34 PM

The brakes on the XK8 should be Ford/Lincoln; they were on my last two Jags. My family has owned Jags for a long time (early 80's) going back to Series II XKE's... I started owning them as there was the biggest Jag indy shop walking distance from my house. Made it easy to own. Current Jag is under factory warranty and dealership is 6 miles from my house.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:57 PM

The XKR brakes on the XK8 are much nicer looking than they are on the XK. I actually wanted to use them on XK. Jaguar went with weird looking calipers across the board on the current cars IMO; except for the carbon ceramic on the F Type that look insane.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:19 AM

F type, fantastic car, i got to autocross one for a brief couple of laps at a jag event, stunning and a 6 cyl with manual gearbox would be my choice, used.
xe, same experience, liked it allot, but i am not in the market for that type of car now. after owning a 335i m sport i would say the jag sedan is superior, only in manual for me!
Old 09-08-2016, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by hirev
F type, fantastic car, i got to autocross one for a brief couple of laps at a jag event, stunning and a 6 cyl with manual gearbox would be my choice, used.
xe, same experience, liked it allot, but i am not in the market for that type of car now. after owning a 335i m sport i would say the jag sedan is superior, only in manual for me!
If the XE was available in a manual I probably would've bought one. We had an issue with the Lotus being a manual and my girlfriend not being comfortable driving it. Made it a pain that if we took the Lotus I was on the hook for all the driving. I fear the same if we got an XE in manual, but the since it was not offered, I could not weight the fun vs. practicality.

Quick Reply: 1999 jag xk8