Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2008 RDX Review

Old 12-06-2007, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 RDX Review

My wife had been itching for a new ride to replace her 99 Subaru Forester, which had about 150,000 miles. She wanted a small, compact SUV not much bigger than the forester. She wanted more luxury, more power, and something with rock-solid reliability--she intends to keep it for 10 years or so and rack up 150,000 miles again.

After looking at the X3, FX35, RX, RDX, & Forester Turbo, she settled on the RDX. My wife is all about value, and the RDX is a great blend of performance, luxury, features, and price. We got a fully loaded RDX for thousands less than the base of the other models (excluding the forester).

Model: 2008 RDX Tech Package, Carbon Bronze Metallic
Price paid: Invoice + $375. (approx 35,000) @ 2.9%.

Performance:
Right off the bat, and coming from her Forester and my s2000, the first thing you notice is the torque. I had read reviews about the RDX being underpowered - bunk. The car will run to 60 in 6.5 seconds, and the butt dyno feels even faster than my s due to the torque (obviously it isn't - although it might be to 30 or 40). It's sorta non-linear - being my first turbo vehicle, it takes some getting used to (in a very good way)

The SHAWD has already been in the snow three times this week - it has performed up to par w/ the Subaru, which is about as good as it can be, IMO. One interesting thing is that the VSA is WAY more intrusive than the VSA on the s2000 - the s lets you get some significant slip before kicking in; on the RDX I actually turn it off in the snow and let the AWD do the work - otherwise it is a clicking, jerking, ridiculous experience unless you drive like a granny- although not as bad as a g35 on stock tires in the snow (which I also experienced this week, lol).

In the dry, the car handles like a sports sedan - maybe not a BMW sports sedan -but you get my point. You can REALLY feel the SHAWD fight off the understeer when you power thru turns. The downside to the setup is that if you aren't on the gas in a highspeed turn, you will notice the understeer since none of the torque is being applied to counter it. Of course, you can always kick it back in line by applying the gas.

Interior:
Overall I like the interior. It looks very nice, some sweet lighting effects (blue LEDs) that stay on all the time to provide just enough light inside. The materials are good, not great. I think the main seating faces are leather, I think it is pleather on the bolsters - but really, who cares.
The dash is an intereresting material - it's not quite a "soft" dash, and not quite hard either. Similar to the s, I guess - but it has a pattern on it that I think will serve to hide dust - nice.
My only complaints in the interior are the storage doors and hinges. The cavernous (seriously) center console is big enough to hold a laptop and other items at the same time - the hinge seems a little flimsy. Ditto on the glove box - the only part of the car that really feels cheap to me.
The rear seats also split 60/40, and where the seam is, it doesn't quite line up - kind of odd.
The seating position is great (for me, at least) and the memory seats are awesome given that I'm 14" taller than my wife. The seats are very comfy and I can see driving it all day. Seat is very adjustable.

Electronics:
Stereo is solid - DVD-A 5.1 material is pretty awesome if you can find it.
Voice control is by far the best voice-activated anything I've ever used. Scary accurate. And it will actually do a lot of useful things - I'm not one to use it for the easy stuff - but it defintiely has its place.
The handsfree phone system is clear and sounds great, at least w/ my phone.
The nav system works well - if the POI is in the DVD database. If not, well, no surprise, it won't find it. Directions come in a timely manner and are very adjustable to your preference. I'm not excited about updating the nav for $200 every year or so.

Custom settings is also very cool--how long your lights stay on when you exit, how many doors open when you press the button, your trip meter resets when you fill up w/ gas, etc, - there are a ton of settings and it is very nice getting it just the way you like it. I especially like staring at the SHAWD display that shows the torque vectoring in real time - too bad if I'm torque vectoring I should be looking at the road, lol.

Climate control system is of the dual-variety. Works very well and is quiet - again, voice activated can be nice when turning on the rear defroster in conjunction w/ changing the temp, etc.

Buying experience was very good - no complaints about it - my only complaint is that they sold me a new car, in Minnesota, in December, with standard window washing fluid in it. The first time we used it, it was probably -15 windchill - we were greeted with a windshield full of ice. Not on the freeway, luckily, but to me, that is just plain unacceptable. Obviously I drained and filled w/ stuff good for -20 degrees.

Not much else I can comment on after a week. For now, highly recommended, especially for the price - I don't think you can beat it.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:48 AM

great write up!

I've been interested in that thing for a while now. How's the mileage on it?

pics!
Old 12-06-2007, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the RDX is SO SO SO underrated. great lil suv and a great buy. congrats!
Old 12-06-2007, 09:21 AM

I had a chance to drove it for two days with the full option package and was like "WOW" it was so damn fun driving it. I would definitely get it if i'm in the market for an suv in that price range. I was so piss off when my parent spent 24k for a used highlander which I think overall is a POS.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:05 AM

[QUOTE=Sr2oD3,Dec 6 2007, 09:48 AM]great write up!

I've been interested in that thing for a while now.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very handsome! Congrats!
Old 12-06-2007, 10:27 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Nice write-up! Enjoy the ride!
Old 12-06-2007, 11:36 AM

I'll admit I absolutely cant stand the look of the RDX. But it looks very nice in your color and packaging. Congrats!
Old 12-06-2007, 11:53 AM

in the brief session i had w/ the RDX, I have to agree w/ your assessment almost completely. it really has some prep to it and handles well and not like an suv. i was also expecting major turbo lag but didnt feel it at all.
the one i drove was white and it looked very sexy from both outside and in - perfect lady's car from 25-40 age group imo.
my friend paid $34k w/ the tech pkg for it, and i've heard that you can get down to $33k now because they are not sellin as well.
however, i still think it's a tad bit expensive - it'd make a great car at $30-32k - but thats nitpicking.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:57 AM

My Wife has one with the Tech Package as well; says it's her favorite car of all she's owned. I don't get to drive it too much though.

Quick Reply: 2008 RDX Review