Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2016 Audi S3 Review

Old 05-17-2016, 06:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could copy and paste most of this review for the white 2016 Focus ST I just picked up, minus some of the "luxury" parts. Turbo 4's are incredible engines.

Nice write up! Looking forward to some more pictures!
Old 05-17-2016, 06:23 AM

Received 190 Likes on 117 Posts

Updated the second post with more of my review.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.Aqua
Great review, thank you for sharing. Looking forward to future reviews. I'm glad someone got one of these, as I've been considering selling my truck and s2000 and picking one up and doing Euro Delivery. Any plans on putting roof racks on it? I would need them to get my surfboards to the beach.

Cheers
Thank you for taking the time to read it. These are niche vehicles for sure so I am surprised as well that not more people are buying them. I think the price is probably the main reason there aren't more around. They fall in an in-between price point so its out of reach for a lot but then on the lower end of the scale for people with more money to spend. Oh well, I will enjoy mine! No plans for roof racks.

Originally Posted by Reckon
Great review. The Audis are addicting once you have one . I sold my S2K last year and got a CPO 2014 S4 (had only 7k miles on it) and have loved it; so much so that now I am looking to trade in my Prius V for an SQ5 . Like you, I was sold on the looks and hooked on the drive once I got in it; understated yet elegant and classy; torque and HP available immediately at any gear and any speed, especially when putting it in sport mode. I almost got an S3 but opted for the S4 as it was bigger (wanted some more rear passenger space) and the supercharged V6 just felt faster than the turbo 4 cylinder.
Thanks for the help through pm's. You helped me go the Audi route and I love it. The car and S model is perfect. If I didnt have my Jeep, I probably would have gone S4 for the bigger size.

Originally Posted by clarkster009
Thanks for the writeup. I will have to test drive one. Also thanks for te negotiation tip on these.
There are lots of deals to be had. The cars are selling and moving off lots, but apparently not fast enough. I just read of two people getting 16% off MSRP. The new facelifted version comes out in the fall so there might be some really good deals on the current model coming up.

Originally Posted by berlinablackie
Great write up...thank you!
As I look for my STi replacement, I've never considered the S3.
Now I will add it to my search list...

A grown up's STi is what I'm looking for.
I'm looking forward to your continued review. subscribed.
This is a grown man's STI that wants luxury and classier looks. It is not as raw or as quick around a track, but that is not what I wanted. The S3 in normal conditions has more accessible performance because of its better powerband and DSG, so around town and for some spirited driving the S3 is the better car, not to mention all the luxury and technology I highly recommend you go drive one.

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Love the cross-hatch stitching on the seats! Nice little car - as you've said, it seems like it's a good blend of power, size and luxury.

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Thanks for the great write up. I'm sorry you hate BMWs so much that you didn't test drive one. I would be interested to read your comparison between the two. Just from a driving standpoint (styling is personal) I felt the S3 was the "lesser" car after driving the BMWs, but at the same time, I was comparing the S3 to six cylinder BMWs, which probably accounted for about %50 of my reaction. More recently, I test drove the BMW 228i with automatic which is probably comparable in size and price to the S3 (as the 328i would be as well). I was still impressed with the BMW, but wondered how it would do against the S3 in a back to back comparison. I hope I'm not sounding negative about your selection. I think it is a good car and a good value.

I'd be interested to hear if you have encountered turbo lag in normal driving. I did during my first launch.
No reason to be sorry, I've never liked BMW cars, the brand, or most of the people that think BMW is god's gift to the automotive world.

I read your review which is not what I experienced. As you said, you cant really compare a 335 engine to the S3 as they are so different and the 335 has more power and torque and is more linear. The 335 has a great engine! They are just very different cars.

I built a couple BMW's online and they just didnt match my price and wants. I specifically did not look at the 2 series because I wanted a 4 door and some reviews said the 2 series is more engaging and more of a drivers car compared to the S3 and that is not what I wanted. I did not want a car that was too fast or sporty because it would compete with the S2000. That croseed the M235 off my list, mainly because 2 door, and also because it would compete with the S2000. The 3 series was overpriced for a 340 and not sporty or special enough. They are more mainstream and common. the S3 is more special and rare. If I was replacing the S2000, the M235 looked like a great option, better than the S3 because its a more dynamic and fun engine/chassis. Sounds like the M235 and M2 are very awesome machines.

I've driven 335's before and from what I can remember the engine impressed me, but the car did not. It felt big heavy and just not sporty enough. I have not driven a recent 335 so I dont know if that is still true or not. The S3 is a playful car and feels more go kart like and less big sedan. From what I remember the 335 and 3 series in general felt to pedestrian and normal. They were not special enough to me.

The S3 will demolish a 328 in power and handling. I dont find the car laggy at all. Its a DBW car so there are times i feel a slight delay, but ive found that to be true in most DBW cars. In dynamic mode the car reacts pretty quickly IMO.

Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
One question, I know that you stated that you hate BMW's and immediately removed them from your list, was curious as to why that is?
I find a lot of the BMW owner stereotypes true, most BMW owners are asshats on the race track, and overall BMW didnt offer a model that checked enough of my boxes. I should restate that I did in fact review and research BMW's, but I never went to a dealer and drove one. I grew up with Audi's and I am more of an Audi person from a brand perspective if that makes any sense.

Originally Posted by aeonracer
I could copy and paste most of this review for the white 2016 Focus ST I just picked up, minus some of the "luxury" parts. Turbo 4's are incredible engines.

Nice write up! Looking forward to some more pictures!
Thanks for reading. Its amazing how manufactures can make a little turbo 4 feel like a much bigger engine!
Old 05-17-2016, 08:50 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Really really like this car. Looking to go bigger on my next DD car purchase, otherwise the S3 would be on my short list.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to do such a thorough write-up.

Someone near me has one and I was surprised how small it is in person. It's nice to see a car that doesn't get bigger with every generation. You can tell it's a 'lower end' model of an audi but that's probably because we generally think smaller=cheaper. Meaning its based on an A3 and not an A4. Not a fan of the A3 sedan, but this has all the right upgrades to make it look very nice.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
Really really like this car. Looking to go bigger on my next DD car purchase, otherwise the S3 would be on my short list.

Originally Posted by suprmonky73
Thanks for taking the time to do such a thorough write-up.

Someone near me has one and I was surprised how small it is in person. It's nice to see a car that doesn't get bigger with every generation. You can tell it's a 'lower end' model of an audi but that's probably because we generally think smaller=cheaper. Meaning its based on an A3 and not an A4. Not a fan of the A3 sedan, but this has all the right upgrades to make it look very nice.
The A3/S3 really is a small car. Coming from a 07 Accord it was a big but welcomed change. I don't need backseats 99% of the time, so being worried about carrying four adults is a non issue for me, however, the car still fits four adults no problem. I just wouldn't want to do it for a long drive, but running out to lunch with co-workers is fine.

The size of the car was a love hate at first. The idea of a smaller car was very appealing but at the same time it was a point of contention and discussion and we almost didn't get the car because of it. Its a tight fit with the car seat and stroller, but as my wife and I reflected, we as a family only used the "huge" Accord a handful of times as a family. So again, a smaller car wouldnt be a problem.

Since the S3 is my daily or my wife uses it to run somewhere its more or less a one person car, so the small size is acceptable. It is also very fun. Makes the car lighter and more playful because of its size and its perfect for traffic and in the city. It feels like a slightly larger S2000 overall, but of coursed has way more room inside.

One of these days I want to park the S2000 next to the Audi in the garage and snap a picture because I am really curious how they will compare in size. I know the Jeep makes the Audi look tiny.

I know a lot of people look at the A3/S3 as the cheaper car and well it is. Doesn't matter to me though because I bought the car not because it was cheaper than a S4, but because I liked the car more.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:05 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

how come you didn't give the CLA 45 AMG a try?
Old 05-17-2016, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Hakkaboy
how come you didn't give the CLA 45 AMG a try?
I did some research on it but most reviews gave the Audi the nod over the Merc. Also, a similarly spec'd Merc was 10K more than the Audi and 60k+ was more money than I was looking to spend.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:53 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Great write up

Really pleased you're enjoying the S3, I really like them too, and perfect color choice
Old 05-17-2016, 12:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great review. This is one of the cars I have been considering for replacing our daily driver with (also IS 350 AWD & CLA45 AMG)

But this review makes me like it a lot. You seemed to be looking for the same things I did and now I can't wait to test drive one!

Quick Reply: 2016 Audi S3 Review