Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2016, er, 2017 Acura NSX aimed at Ferrari 458 for the price of Audi R8

Old 10-09-2014, 12:01 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

They will. A FWD version.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's beautiful... Gah, I wish I could drive a 99 NSX.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:23 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Presto123
"Extremely accessible" at R8 prices..

Hope it does well but I am also hoping they release something enthusiast-minded that is actually accessible.
Extremely accessible is being awful charitable. The R8 comes in at 115k, so figure around 125k when all is said and done? That number by itself puts it in the top 10% of wage earners. I'd argue at in income of 200k, this car wouldn't be a stretch, but that puts you in the top 5% of earners.

I'm not mad at Honda, just don't label the car something that it isn't. I am a bit disappointed their entry into the enthusiast market is somewhat unobtanium. I'd been perfectly happy with a 911 experience at corvette pricing and would of lined up to give them my money.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:42 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by bruthaboost
I am a bit disappointed their entry into the enthusiast market is somewhat unobtanium. I'd been perfectly happy with a 911 experience at corvette pricing and would of lined up to give them my money.
They came out the NSX before the S2000. Release a flagship halo car and then have less expensive offerings later on.

I know many here to want to hear this, but maybe Honda just isn't that interested in the mass sports car market? Sad, but sure seems to be the case for the last decade. Very little had been done outside of motor sport contracts.

Will the new engine deal with McLaren turn the tide? Who knows, but it would make a grand entry and possibly for some collaboration down the road on a joint road car offering.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Presto123' timestamp='1412883713' post='23363273
"Extremely accessible" at R8 prices..

Hope it does well but I am also hoping they release something enthusiast-minded that is actually accessible.
Extremely accessible is being awful charitable. The R8 comes in at 115k, so figure around 125k when all is said and done? That number by itself puts it in the top 10% of wage earners. I'd argue at in income of 200k, this car wouldn't be a stretch, but that puts you in the top 5% of earners.

I'm not mad at Honda, just don't label the car something that it isn't. I am a bit disappointed their entry into the enthusiast market is somewhat unobtanium. I'd been perfectly happy with a 911 experience at corvette pricing and would of lined up to give them my money.
Agree with all of this. What do you mean 911 experience at Corvette pricing? Corvette is faster and handles better than a 911. Just buy a Corvette
Old 10-09-2014, 04:29 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Agree with all of this. What do you mean 911 experience at Corvette pricing? Corvette is faster and handles better than a 911. Just buy a Corvette
Don't meant to pick on the corvette folks, I just like to use it as it's readily identifiable. I'll be in the market in 2-3 years and the z06 on paper is incredible. The General has burned me so many times though (and I won't derail this thread with that) it's hard for me to find forgiveness so to speak. The z06 is so compelling though.

Warning: I'm going to indulge in shameless magazine racing. I invoked the 911 reference because if Honda would of targeted a GT3 clone, which every magazine hails as Apollo's chariot, they'd still have an incredibly attractive performer and a price point that's reasonable. And they'd sell some volume which is always the business case.

Sir, would you like your Japanese GT3 for 70k and fully optioned at 85k?

Yes, thank you. I'll take the fully optioned one in Championship white please.

Lastly, isn't an all motor, high revving, scalpel of a car more inline with what the NSX was than a hybrid power-train, twin turbo charged phoenix?
Old 10-09-2014, 05:53 PM

2015 will be important for Honda's resurgence in the sports car market. First, you have them returning to Formula 1 supplying engines exclusively to McLaren. The Honda/McLaren era of the 80s was huge, where they held many championships with Senna and Prost. Senna even contributed to the development of the NSX.

Over the years Honda had more involvement with their own teams and even had their first and only win with Jenson Button at the Hungary GP in 2006. Then the car they developed for 2009 basically becamse the Brawn GP car where Jenson took his championship. Now Honda is joining McLaren where they may retain Jenson, who is now the most experienced driver in F1. Hopefully his expertise can bring some great development with Honda vehicles over the coming years. Fernando Alonso is also likely to join the team and he is probably one of the fastest if not the fastest on the grid.

Along with the 2016 NSX, next year will also see the launch of the 2016 Civic Type R and S660. Though the S660 isn't an S2000 successor, it is another vehicle in the S line. The Civic Type R is interesting in that it will be putting out nearly 300HP as Honda is using a turbo 4 cylinder. They're even gunning for the fastest FWD car on the Nurburgring. So hopefully the rumors of a vehicle between the Civic Type R and NSX is true, and we finally see the successor to our S2000.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:16 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1412874498' post='23363009
What do you mean? The parts you bolded agree with each other.

However wasn't this car supposed to have a 2015 on sale date?

Also, are they aware that a new 458 Italia is being released for 2016?
The parts I bolded say:

The new Honda NSX will go on sale early in 2016

The production version is due on sale in 2015

The production version is set to be revealed at the November 2015 Tokyo motor show, with sales following in the Uk from early 2016

So which one is it? 2015 or 2016? Also, why do they mention it, and then immediately mention a different date in the next sentence? Makes me think this poorly written article has little to offer...
WhatCar is UK oriented. So any mention of dates without a location has an implicit "in the UK" associated with it.
So - it will go on sale in the UK early in 2016, which doesn't conflict with stating that it will go on sale in 2015 in North America.
Not that there's much reason to think that any of these dates are official or set in stone.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marioshi' timestamp='1412891418' post='23363499
Don't meant to pick on the corvette folks, I just like to use it as it's readily identifiable. I'll be in the market in 2-3 years and the z06 on paper is incredible. The General has burned me so many times though (and I won't derail this thread with that) it's hard for me to find forgiveness so to speak. The z06 is so compelling though.

Warning: I'm going to indulge in shameless magazine racing. I invoked the 911 reference because if Honda would of targeted a GT3 clone, which every magazine hails as Apollo's chariot, they'd still have an incredibly attractive performer and a price point that's reasonable. And they'd sell some volume which is always the business case.

Sir, would you like your Japanese GT3 for 70k and fully optioned at 85k?

Yes, thank you. I'll take the fully optioned one in Championship white please.

Lastly, isn't an all motor, high revving, scalpel of a car more inline with what the NSX was than a hybrid power-train, twin turbo charged phoenix?
Easy bro, you're making way too much sense right now. Going to have to ask you to calm down.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX' timestamp='1412877176' post='23363077
It will go on sale in Japan first in 2015, then it will be released for sale later in the UK starting in 2016.
The article says it will go on sale in the US first, which I have heard multiple times but I doubt that it will be on sale anywhere in 2015 if it is debuting at the November 2015 Tokyo auto show.

Update: Motor Authority Says:

Production of the new NSX will take place at the newly-established Performance Manufacturing Center at Honda’s facility in Marysville, Ohio. A debut should take place at one of the major American auto shows in early 2015 with sales to commence no later by the fall of that year, making the car a 2016 model.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-audi-r8-price

That is a much more concise timeline for NA and it makes sense that we are getting it first if we are producing it.
I wasn't aware that it's going to be produced in NA. Regardless, just swap NA for Japan and that's still what's going to happen.