Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2016 m3

Old 01-10-2017, 01:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2016 m3

I know I started a thread on this car when I got it months ago, but I cannot find it to follow up:

mileage 6100, car bought 6/2016. black interior, 18 inch wheels and a couple of options, sticker-ed at about 71000.

This will probably be my last new car, and it's arguable the best out of the 30 i have owned. I'm a vintage S2000 guy who is a lifetime car nut, and I now own a project car, a 1999 jaguar Xk8 convertible as well.. i have a 04 sebring silver/red black S2000 I have owned since new and do my own maintenance on .

I was able to order the new M3 from Germany where they built it for me in about 2 months . i went through an excellent auto broker who I have known for years and recommend. it was hard to find what I wanted and even harder to get a test drive.

I was coming out of a 2013 335I Msport 6 speed manual and did not like several things about it...the M3 was the fix.

This car is amazing. You can carve through traffic any time and any place, it's a powerful car . Punch it any time under 40 mph and the rear wheels break loose in a controlled take off, better to feather the clutch and wait till you put full power on, but in any case it is a 4.0 second 0-60 car. Bags or torque. The sound, staring cold it sounds like a garbage truck, warmed up and flaps open it is an ok sound, not like a conventional 6 cyl....more like a v8 with the piped in sound.

the color is amazing and gets positive comments, want to know what it looks like, Google Yas Marina M3 and there it is. Black carbon fiber roof and all.

The suspension is the stock factory, not the magnetic ride I so did not like in the 335. The steering is best set in normal mode. the motor can be controled as well...It has 2 M buttons to set any which way you like and the traction and stability control can be turned off.

Not a hiccup in 6000 miles some of which was very hard use. Sat radio is free for a year, nav was included, and free service and warranty are for 4 years. the car has to tell you it needs service to get it.

I am getting an average of 22-24 mpg, on a trip to Portland from the sf bay area I got 27, on premium only....and every chance I got I was exceeding the limit on highway 5, the car has not used any oil , it was changed by bmw free at 1200 miles and will be again about 9000 miles. The tires are staggered and Mich pilot sports, great all weather tires. the seats are great...the I drive is better than it ever was with a touch pad (llike Audi) and great voice recognition. ther interior maybe plain to some but it suits me fine, it's all laid out in BMW logic and it works.

you can read about the engine and other stuff.....it's a real joy to drive in any weather, and fast and the best part is the handling, superb. the start stop is an acquired taste and so it the rev match when downshifting, I like them both.

I would recommend this car to anyone who wants the best 4 door sports car I have ever had the privilege to own!
Old 01-10-2017, 01:21 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Beast, isn't it?

Those Michelins will go nowhere in even a 1/4 inch of snow.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:21 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Congrats, glad you like it. Sounds like 6MT? Couldn't tell for sure. I haven't driven an F80 yet but would love to sometime soon.

I'm in your area and got a previous-gen (E90) M3 w/Comp Pkg in August, and it's my only car besides my wife's C350 (sold my S2k to get it, and owned an E39 M5 from 2009-15). Absolutely fantastic cars, these M3s. They just do so much so well. I bet yours is even more beastly than usual with the cooler weather we've had lately.

Yours in YMB w/carbon roof looks absolutely awesome - love the extra oomph BMW gave the fenders for your generation for the sedan! Have you say the downsizing strategy certainly works in this case with regards to gas mileage - I'm way behind you at 15-16mpg in a ~50/50 mix of city/highway, and I don't drive that aggressively most of time. On the only long highway trip I've taken, it managed like 19-20mpg. Absolutely pathetic!

BTW, are you measuring MPG using the trip computer or the miles/gallons math at fill-up? I've found my trip computer is 10% optimistic, very consistently. In my old M5 there was actually a way to correct for this in the computer, but not so for this car.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:01 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I am glad you like it. I like big power too. As a former Honda guy I've never looked back.

those tires might break lose if they're all seasons. Summers might be more fun. There is a huge difference for me on tires.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, I missed it, why did you "so not like" the magnetic ride in your previous car?
Old 01-11-2017, 05:05 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by hirev
The tires are staggered and Mich pilot sports, great all weather tires.
Apologies, I read this as Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:19 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Yeah Michelin Pilot Super Sports are comically bad in snow/slush. Unbelievably so.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:48 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Appreciate you sharing. I really want a M2 over a M3. The extra power of the M3 would be great, but I think the M2 would be more appropriate for my crap driving skills and budget.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:22 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

14.8 mpg by trip computer in my M5 in Bay Area traffic (commute from peninsula into the financial district in SF). Are you saying that is 10% high? Shit, I got a lead foot.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:21 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ealand0001
14.8 mpg by trip computer in my M5 in Bay Area traffic (commute from peninsula into the financial district in SF). Are you saying that is 10% high? Shit, I got a lead foot.
I dunno - reset your trip computer the next time you fill up, then the following time you get gas, divide the miles by the gallons. Do it a few times and you’ll know the answer.

If it’s a V10 M5 that’s not even that bad! You basically have what I do plus another two cylinders pushing 400 more pounds.

Quick Reply: 2016 m3