Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Alex Zanardi NSX

Old 06-16-2013, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alex Zanardi NSX

Okay, so I plan on getting a 1997-2001 NSX in the next 5-10 years. In the meantime, I browse nsxprime and other sites to see the price trends. Well, to my surprise, I saw an Alex Zanardi Edition NSX a dealer has. I thought, "okay, probably 60-70K". Boy was I wrong. It's a 1999 NFR NSX listed at $97,990, at a dealership. Ive never seen one in person or even placed on an internet ad. So, my question is, what makes this Alex Zanardi NSX different from a modified NSX with similiar upgrades? Would the regular NSX with upgrades keep up or even be able to outpace an Alex Zanardi edition NSX? I am genuinely curious. I can't fathom spending 100K for what I feel is an NSX with simple upgrades one can do with simple tools. So is an Alex Zanardi NSX really worth over 100K to buyers (taxes, fees, registration)? Seriously. I would like to know from NSX owners, educated owners on this particular model. I know the NSX hold it's value well, but I cant understand why this particular model is exceedingly high.

I know Ayrton Senna had tremendous input on the NSX and it's driving capabilities, and that alone is a reason to me for them to maintain their high price, not to mention they were all hand built, and have an Aluminum Chassis (please correct if I am wrong). But what did Alex Zanardi contribute to the NSX that was not done before in the NA1 or the NA2, or can be applied through upgrades that would warrant such a high price? Anyways, here is the link to the ad. Thanks for your input.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...%2CSILVER&mmt=[ACURA[NSX[]][]]&listingId=347947996&listingIndex=1&Log=0
Old 06-17-2013, 04:44 AM

One word: Rarity

You're buying a unicorn (1 of 49 cars in the world), expect to pay for it!

That being said, you can relatively easily make a regular NSX into a "Zanardi" edition. The Zanardi edition was mostly weight savings, and a little bit better steering feel through the manual steering rack vs. the EPS on the standard NSX. It's all up to you, whether the unicorn status is worth the premium.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe the key differences were:

It's a coupe NSX (no targa), with a 3.2 liter engine and the 6 speed.
The Type S suspension
The Type S shift knob
Lightweight BBS wheels
Lightweight battery
Lightweight glass

Pretty much a US Spec Type S. And it's very rare, as there are 50 made.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:47 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

The only reason to buy that NSX is to put it in a museum.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:51 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Sweet lord the ad is already removed from the site
Old 06-17-2013, 07:46 AM

I came close to buying a cherry one around '04 for just around $50K. Too bad I didn't, but no way would I pay current prices.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Syn

Originally Posted by Dreaming_S2k
Sweet lord the ad is already removed from the site
It is still there, but the link in the original post is broken. Part of it was placed into an auto-link with the rest as plain text. Probably because of all the bracketing not playing nice.

Here: http://tinyurl.com/l5jh6o4
Old 06-17-2013, 08:22 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

I was looking for one long and hard but wasn't able. There simply wasn't one for sale.
ended up getting another car.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:16 PM

I think that car also has a bunch of extra Comptech goodies on it like the SuperCharger, exhaust, and a few other things. Most cars with FI mods go down in value, but the NSX actually gains value in the market with a properly installed CTSC.

That being said, it's still hard to justify that price, but the Zanardi NSX is really the ultimate NSX. I heard the driving dynamics of the Zanardi is pretty awesome. It's something you'd have to drive for yourself. A jump from a standard NA2 to a Zanardi is a much larger leap than from a S2000 to a CR for comparison.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by ninjajwl
I think that car also has a bunch of extra Comptech goodies on it like the SuperCharger, exhaust, and a few other things. Most cars with FI mods go down in value, but the NSX actually gains value in the market with a properly installed CTSC.

That being said, it's still hard to justify that price, but the Zanardi NSX is really the ultimate NSX. I heard the driving dynamics of the Zanardi is pretty awesome. It's something you'd have to drive for yourself. A jump from a standard NA2 to a Zanardi is a much larger leap than from a S2000 to a CR for comparison.
No, the NSX R GT is the ultimate NSX.

Quick Reply: Alex Zanardi NSX