Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Best automotive experiences you've had?

Old 02-09-2017, 08:14 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Any time driving in the Alps is memorable.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:43 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

For our first wedding anniversary the wife and I flew into LAX and rented a convertible (Mustang), and drove straight to San Francisco on the interstate. We then spent the next week taking our time driving back down to LA on the PCH/101, no set schedule in place, every night we would stop at a hotel, scope out the next section and plan different things. If you haven't had a chance to do this, I highly recommend it. The PCH is amazing, beautiful views and more curves than you know what to do with. We are wanting to do thins again soon, but start near Seattle and drive to San Francisco.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:10 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

1. Drove the nurburgring. Exige S240 was the rental car of choice.
Three friends and I took a trip to the father land of motoring. Best. Trip. Ever.
Even documented most of it, so others could replicate: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk...prague-900386/

2. Instructed at one of those rental car places.
Basically got to drive a lot of awesome exotic cars, around a race track, at speed, while being paid for it.

3. Entered a Chump Car race and took first place overall.
Granted, it's "just" chump car, but, we had to battle a field of 32 cars, all in one class. We started 13th, and after 7hrs, we took first. The following day, we start 22nd and ended in fourth after having a wheel bearing failure.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Most memorable for me was at my first track day ever, at Homestead. I was in the s2000, and passed someone (with a point by) on the short straight between 5 and 6, as did a faster 911, who's now on my ass. Of course I'm distracted by the Porsche breathing down my neck, and was late getting on the brakes. Not a total disaster, I just knew I was coming in a bit hot for turn 6 (turn 6 is the lion's share of the 180 degree 6-7 turn combo), so I was trailing the brake a little as I turned in. Naturally, the rear end didn't stick. So here I am, a rookie, at my first track day, going sideways at maybe 60 mph. It felt like it was happening in slow motion. Then I had this major epiphany moment when I realized I still had complete control of the car, even at what felt like a ridiculous slip angle. That's when it really clicked for me. I just kept the wheels pointed where I wanted to go, rode it out, and it was surprisingly drama free. My instructor, to his credit, waited until we were on the back straight before asking "so, do you know what you did wrong back there?".

Other fond automotive experiences:
Flying out, buying a Porsche, and driving it home from halfway across the country. This has to be the best way to do a road trip!
Driving US-1 all the way to Key West - must be done in a convertible!
Driving CA-101 from Carmel to San Simeon
Taking a Jeep off-road in Maui
Old 02-09-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

1. Trip up California from San Diego to Eureka then back to SF in my AP2. Took all the twisty back roads I could drive, ate a buttload of oysters, and really learned how the car felt. Fantastic vacation.
2. SR33 in my old E36 M3 on a rainy night. Just an absolute white knuckle drive.
3. Getting a ride around Thunderhill in one of the Blacktrax cars. Getting a ride in a car with aero, driven by someone that knows what they're doing was fairly eye-opening. Easily the most fun I've had in a car while being passenger.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

1. Driving a 458 Italia at Exotics Racing in Vegas.

2. Driving the tail of the dragon about a year after I bought the S2000, following my Dad in his Elise.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Overall, my most memorable automotive experiences have been the people. I met my best of friends and practically every friend I have due to a love of cars. Lots of great moments over the years, whether on cruises or hanging out and bsing in a parking lot until the sun rose.

The coolest thing ive done with a car is probably driving sebring. Going to France for the 24 hours of Le Mans is on my bucket list.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Although highly mischievous and certainly "stupid", I had a blast hanging out with Teckademics crew years ago in my old CambioCorsa one day they were in my area. They definitely drive insane, that's all I'll say. I believe my car is in one of their videos online. It was fun for me because I watched their videos while in college a lot. Kinda like meeting celebrities I guess.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Driving 2017 nsx on track. Las vegas today
Owning 1991 nsx 10 years ago. Daily driver.
Owning daily driver in late seventies 1970 challenger rt/se 440 mannum
Owning daily driving 2003 s2000. Current daily driver
Owning numerous cars through the the years.
Owning many jet skis. 2002 stx-r. 2007 ultr250x. Current is 2016 ultra 310 LX. All kawasaki. As well as others owned short term.

Last edited by Halfassjack; 02-13-2017 at 05:54 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:02 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Bullfest Miami

Epic drive through Alligator Alley & Tamiami Trail ending with parade laps around Homestead

Quick Reply: Best automotive experiences you've had?