Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Clarion Builds NSX Review - A 90's Supercar for the 21st Century

Old 09-08-2016, 09:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clarion Builds NSX Review - A 90's Supercar for the 21st Century

I was recently given the opportunity to review the Clarion Builds NSX down in SoCal! Here's the full video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNz2f9hqIic

All feedback is welcome. Enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (10-31-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 08:15 PM

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

The more i watch reviews of that car the more i like it. I think 450whp would be perfect in a nsx. How would you compare the nsx to the 911 you just did?
Old 09-14-2016, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by umair
The more i watch reviews of that car the more i like it. I think 450whp would be perfect in a nsx. How would you compare the nsx to the 911 you just did?
Someone asked me the same question in the comments section of the 911 video. Here is my answer:

Clarion NSX is the more special driving/looking/sounding car, so it wins for me. But as a daily driver I'd have the 911 Turbo hands down. In fact, I WANT a 911 Turbo now. My criticisms for the car are from a 2nd/track car perspective. As a daily driver and occasional canyon carver the Turbo is great.

To add to that, I think the Turbo *feels* quicker in a straight line despite weighing more and producing the same peak power, because it has so much torque. But it's not nearly as rewarding to drive. The engine doesn't reward you for winding it out. It just throws boatloads of torque to all 4 wheels and rockets you forward. You can stay from 3-5k rpm on a backroad and probably keep up with the NSX on the straights, while the NSX has to be pushed to redline. The Turbo is very effective but numb in comparison.

In short:
911 Turbo = effortless speed, a tad boring
Clarion NSX = makes the driver work, extremely entertaining
Old 09-19-2016, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw the build thread on Prime. While there's nothing about this car that's overly astounding, it does take all of the commonplace mods that NSX owners do, and brings it together in a very appealing package. But the attention to detail could use some work. No door cars for the later model sides, not black center valence like O.E, little screws missing here and there.

What I do think is that AEM should bring the intake to market. There are so few that outperform the factory box, and while I doubt this does either; it looks good. Same with the exhaust.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:36 AM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice to see the car reviewed.

Additional constructive criticism is to try to get your thoughts together and not have so many edits in your videos. That minor change will take your videos to the next level IMO.

Great job, keep up the good work!

(p.s. The DF fenders are actually 6.25mm wider per side than stock -even though they call them "10mm". Definitely not 2" wider per side.)
Old 09-19-2016, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by black_EM1
Saw the build thread on Prime. While there's nothing about this car that's overly astounding, it does take all of the commonplace mods that NSX owners do, and brings it together in a very appealing package. But the attention to detail could use some work. No door cars for the later model sides, not black center valence like O.E, little screws missing here and there.

What I do think is that AEM should bring the intake to market. There are so few that outperform the factory box, and while I doubt this does either; it looks good. Same with the exhaust.
Yeah I agree. It's not a perfect build but it puts together a lot of the "must have" mods recommended by the experienced NSX owners. KW V3, Comptech supercharger, Stoptech BBK probably the main 3.

Originally Posted by Billj747
Nice to see the car reviewed.

Additional constructive criticism is to try to get your thoughts together and not have so many edits in your videos. That minor change will take your videos to the next level IMO.

Great job, keep up the good work!

(p.s. The DF fenders are actually 6.25mm wider per side than stock -even though they call them "10mm". Definitely not 2" wider per side.)
Thanks for the feedback. That's something others have pointed out and I'm actively trying to improve. It's pretty challenging to consolidate my thoughts in one take, or at least a few takes, especially when driving a car I'm still trying to learn. But I'm definitely working on it. It makes me appreciate Matt Farah's ability to consistently keep the discussion going in his One Take videos. Sometimes he's not the most exciting presenter, at least compared to guys like Chris Harris, but his overall knowledge and ability to convey his thoughts without pausing excessively is impressive. I'm nowhere near a level where I can get away with little to no editing. My videos would be 30 min long if I did.

Yeah, I had a feeling those fenders weren't 2" wider because the project lead told me the fronts still rub with 225 width Cup 2 tires. It's what Clarion listed on their spec sheet, though, so I just took their word for it.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:33 AM
Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Great review!

We are very happy to have contributed to Clarion's Build car

thanks for the post!

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@euroboutique/videos
Follow-Us Instagram/Facebook: https://www.instagram.com/euroboutique/

Old 10-28-2016, 11:35 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by black_EM1

agreed 100% the lack of black in the valence threw me off for a bit.

that AEM intake does look pretty trick! we just went with a downforce scoop for the fender inlet and drop in filter from UNI.