Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Considering a Truck for new Daily...

Old 12-19-2016, 06:17 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Considering a Truck for new Daily...

So i currently daily drive a Honda Fit. Its been great for the 5 years of ownership...no issues whatsoever. But i want something bigger that i can use that also has a bed to toss w.e i need back there and not worry about it... I have narrowed down the search to these trucks, and would like some insight on what people think of them whether they have owned, driven, or know someone who has them... i know 2017 trucks are not all currently out yet, but maybe a prior year for comparison sake...

1) 2017 Honda Ridgeline Sport or RTL AWD ($32-$36k)

2) 2017 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 2WD Z71 ($28-$32k)

3) 2017 GMC Canyon Crew Cab SLE/SLT 2WD ($30-$36k)

my requirements are 4 doors i.e.. crew cab, and enough space to fit a reverse facing baby seat in the rear. It would be the 6cyl model across the board as the duramax diesel is too pricey. I would like leather, but not a necessity as rear seats will probably get covers due to dogs and/or baby seat... all the trucks are around 18 city 25 highway mpg and i assume take regular leaded fuel. any options you think are a must for a truck in this segment? I'm going to test drive all of them during xmas break...Seems like Chevy has the best incentives going on right now so that could be a factor...

Thanks

Last edited by Memo6453; 12-19-2016 at 06:19 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:24 AM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Used off lease ridgeline is my pick- if you can find one- their owners tend to love and hold on to them. Check out the new Ridgeline and compare.

AND you can get the new ridgeline in FWD in the States- really, if you're not offroading do you REALLY need it? in miami? Unless you tow out of a really steep boat launch, live in the marshes, or are insecure your friends will make fun of you for driving a FWD "truck", save the fuel, insurance, and maintenance.

darcy

Last edited by darcyw; 12-19-2016 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not on your list, but I have a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport. Paid under 30K for it. MSRP was ~35k Really like it so far and it tows the S2K with no trouble.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:18 AM

Received 379 Likes on 282 Posts

If on pavement is going to be the majority, Ridgeline, hands down. It's the best pavement truck on the market. The RTL AWD trim will give you leather, heated seats, and acoustic glass. You can put in your Nav/ICE later. There is already blueprints on the Ridgeline forum to do it. One person has done the conversion. The upper trims on the Ridgeline are overpriced. Best deal on them, or best trim for value, is the RTS. You won't get heated seats but you can still get a heated steering wheel as an option for $500 installed. I've driven 3 of them so far (one FWD, Two AWD) and it actually handles well, combination unibody + IRS. Locally they aren't budging a dime from MSRP.

I'd only get the GM compact (GM or Chevy) if you need the diesel for high mileage or towing.

I wouldn't rule out full sizes. Right now, deals are sick on them. Buddy just scored a new GM full size V8, leather w/heated/cooled seats, very nice truck, brand new, 35k.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:42 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Ram 1500 eco desiel
Old 12-19-2016, 07:55 AM

All great info guys. Reason for Honda n GM is a friend of family owns Brickell Honda n GMC. Normally great pricing. But yea no incentives on ridge line. The Ridgeline sport is nice looking but I just realized it's black exterior only. Towing isn't a concern for me as I don't own a boat or jet ski etc. but I figured the FWD model would feel weak. Could just be me thinking that. I really like the magic seat in the Honda n lockable bed trunk. But if ridgeline is around $35k and I can mange a GM truck for $30 OTD, gonna be hard to justify the price hike, unless it truly drives better than the others.

Keep it it coming guys... I didn't even consider the Taco. I might need to look into those as well... thanks for that

and as far as a Full size goes, seemed $38-$40k+ on those...maybe end of year sales can help on that... ill have to see...

Last edited by Memo6453; 12-19-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:46 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have kids, then the Ridgeline is the best bet. That lockable trunk in the bed is so useful. I wouldn't bother with the AWD either being that u r in miami. Do yourself a favor and take the babyseat and install it in each truck. I bet the ridgeline will be the only one where u can get it to fit in the center and have decent room on either side. The Ridgeline will probably have the best safety ratings too. If it weren't for the small overlap crash test scores, I would have recommended the previous gen ridgeline to save some $. Keep us updated.

Last edited by HwangTKD; 12-19-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by HwangTKD
If you have kids, then the Ridgeline is the best bet. That lockable trunk in the bed is so useful. I wouldn't bother with the AWD either being that u r in miami. Do yourself a favor and take the babyseat and install it in each truck. I bet the ridgeline will be the only one where u can get it to fit in the center and have decent room on either side.

yes I'm going to take the baby seat for sure... and yea the magic seat / lockable trunk are nice for me... love that.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was recently in the same situation and was debating between the Ridgeline, Tacoma, Canyon, and Colorado. Based on my own research the Ridgeline had by far the best reviews. I have no plans of towing or going off roading so it was definitely at the top of my list. It doesn't sound like you plan on doing those things either, but if you do you'll have decide if the Ridgeline has the capabilities that you want. Otherwise, I relatively quickly marked the Canyon and Colorado off my list because I have a bias towards Japanese cars due to their history of reliability. Either way, after further research it seemed the cabin room and comfort were just far and away better in the Ridgeline compared to all others. I ended up only test driving the Ridgeline because I had already pretty much made my mind up. It only took one test drive to convince me. The thing drives smoother than my lexus is250 that I traded it in for. It's quicker too. I ended up buying the 2wd sport and I daily drive it. No regrets.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

full size GM, Ford or Ram trucks can be had all day long for 25k-30k.

Ridgeline if you don't actually want a truck, but a pilot minus the rear end.

Quick Reply: Considering a Truck for new Daily...