Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Which country makes the best sports cars?

Old 08-29-2016, 06:47 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Japan.

Miata.

/thread.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by S2ALEXIS' timestamp='1472455015' post='24049835
[quote name='rogue3092' timestamp='1472421178' post='24049661']
Germany

/thread

Now, if we said supercars, I would say Italy.
Italy definitely takes the supercar crown. Unfortunately lambo now shareso parts with the R8, id still take a Huracán though lol. At least Ferrari is still making true Italian Supercars.
And Ferrari/Maserati does not share any parts with Chrysler... Who cares about parts sharing. It makes sense where it makes sense.
[/quote]
Like Wolfpack stated.... they're practically the same car. Ferrari and Maserati do take parts from Chrysler. But can you compare using the whole engine to using a few buttons on the interior?
But like you said, I don't really mind that they share parts, it's being more efficient. If they make a great platform they should run with it. The reason I brought it up was because you can't call the Huracán a "truly italian" car when most of its components are German.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:42 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Soon Jaguar and BMW will be sharing a V8 engine! Not exactly like when Land Rover used a BMW V8 (awful engine IMO), but this time around there is some collaboration between the two marques. Should be interesting.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:57 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

This thread topic is which country makes the best sports cars and video is headed which country makes the best performance cars. Two different topics.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:40 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

I would say Great Britain over Germany by a nose.

Great Britain has more variety - from Ariels, Morgans, Radicals, and Lotuses up to McLarens, Jags, Astons, etc. They also have a long history of elemental sports cars - MGs, Triumphs, Lotuses, Jag roadsters, etc. They really have a lot of unique flavors and pure driving experiences vs. Germany, which is basically Porsche and a bunch of luxo-sleds, many of which aren't even quite as good as they once were IMO.

With the enormous exception of Porsche, I see Germany as makers of the best sports sedans, but not sports cars overall. I mean, between Mercedes, Audi, and BMW barely make what you could consider a "sports car" at all these days, except maybe the M4 and a few well over $100k (R8, SLS, i8... really more supercar/GT category than sports car). The fact that Merc has had like one car in its lineup at any one time over the past ~20 years with a manual doesn't help.

I might be tempted to put Italy above Germany, except that other than the Fiat (really a Miata) and Alfa 4C, everything is $200k++ (current Maseratis aren't really sports cars).
Old 08-29-2016, 07:07 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Where is Porsche from? That place. Really the it's only German company that is still making sports cars vs "sporty" luxury cars.

Other than Germany for Porsche, I would actually say Britain these days - Lotus and McLaren, plus Atom, really "get it".

Italy? I can't think of many sports cars, just exotics. Maybe the 4C and Fiata, but no strong showing.
You just named McLaren as a sports car make, but Ferrari doesn't count because its an exotic?
Old 08-30-2016, 05:56 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls

Great Britain has more variety - from Ariels, Morgans, Radicals, and Lotuses up to McLarens, Jags, Astons, etc. They also have a long history of elemental sports cars - MGs, Triumphs, Lotuses, Jag roadsters, etc. They really have a lot of unique flavors and pure driving experiences vs. Germany, which is basically Porsche and a bunch of luxo-sleds, many of which aren't even quite as good as they once were IMO.

With the enormous exception of Porsche, I see Germany as makers of the best sports sedans, but not sports cars overall. I mean, between Mercedes, Audi, and BMW barely make what you could consider a "sports car" at all these days, except maybe the M4 and a few well over $100k (R8, SLS, i8... really more supercar/GT category than sports car). The fact that Merc has had like one car in its lineup at any one time over the past ~20 years with a manual doesn't help.

I might be tempted to put Italy above Germany, except that other than the Fiat (really a Miata) and Alfa 4C, everything is $200k++ (current Maseratis aren't really sports cars).
The Mercedes-AMG GT is most definitely a sports car.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:48 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I have to give this one to Germany, based solely on Porsche. If Porsche makes the best sports cars, and they're in Germany, then Germany makes the best sports cars.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:39 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Originally Posted by white98ls' timestamp='1472514030' post='24050613

The Mercedes-AMG GT is most definitely a sports car.
Well, I did say supercar/GT in the same breath as the R8. I fully agree, that thing performs.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:55 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Japan of course. They built the S2000

Of course im not just looking at a single facet, but rather many, such as initial cost and diminished value over time, cost to maintain, performance, fun factor/driver involvement, uniqueness, and looks, all of which the Japanese has proven they can do better then many. So any jokes aside, on the grand scale, our precious little s2000 hits quite high marks when all considered compared to any sports car at almost any price, so im a little surprised and disappointed no one has mentioned yet.

Quick Reply: Which country makes the best sports cars?