Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I cheated on my GT4!!!!!1

Old 01-12-2017, 01:07 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts
Default I cheated on my GT4!!!!!1

I dropped my car off for an oil change and had emailed my sales guy a few days earlier inquiring about a new '17 Carrera S with black exterior and red/black interior and almost all the sport options with PDK. So, I show up to get my GT4 worked on and my sales guy says I can take the new 911 S for a day and see if I like it. I smelled a trap, but I did it anyway....

Holy crap, the 911 is the real deal. It did EVERYTHING really well. The refinement, smoothness, supple suspension in normal mode, quietness just rolling down the highway, wonderful visibility out of the front, almost feels like there isn't a windshield. All the latest tech stuff inside, very, very high quality everyone. That PDK, yum. What a transmission. Butter smooth in nomal mode around town, but switch it to sport or sport plus if you're nuts (it seems to keep the engine above 5,000rpm ALL THE TIME) and it's real sports car.

So, the new 3.0L twin turbo engine. What a gem. Yes, the exhaust (even in sport mode) isn't that loud, but it has a nice tone and makes nice sounds. Towards redline you get a sweet engine note. Torque seems to be everywhere above 2,000rpm. You could drive pretty quick around town and never have to go above 3,000rpm. That is the biggest difference by far (besides the PDK) compared to my GT4 is the well of torque in lower rpm. The 3.8L NA engine in the GT4 rocks above 5,000rpm to just over 7,000rpm where it starts to fall off, but below 5,000rpm....not a whole lot going on.

Anyway the 420hp 3.0L twin turbo is a FAST car. Runs low 3's 0-60 with launch mode and can trap 120mph. Feels plenty fast for 99% of what you'd ever use a car for.

Anyway, I haven't talked real numbers with the sales guy yet and I have my GT4 back in the garage, but what a fling with that beautiful '17 Carrera S.

NOTE: Sales guy said to warm the car up (I always do this anyway) and then drive it like I normally would. I asked if he knew who he was talking to and he replied that I couldn't hurt the car which was probably true. I'm not abusive but I do run cars hard once they are warm when conditions permit. Okay, I said and off I went.

Name:  IMG_1943_zpszrxvpvda.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  200.0 KB
Name:  IMG_1942%202_zpsqmio3mdn.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  197.8 KB
Name:  IMG_1948_zps0u9gvosr.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  118.0 KB

Last edited by QUIKAG; 01-12-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:18 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Several years ago I did a Porsche Roadshow thingy at TMS - this was during the 997.2 era, I think. They had various 911 configs as well as Cayman R and Boxster Spyder. I must say I was much more impressed by the 911s than the mid-engine cars. Not sure if it's something Porsche does deliberately or what.

Oh, and nice they gave you the absolute best color combo for a car.

ps - what's the MSRP on that config?

Last edited by Elistan; 01-12-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:28 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Ooooooooooooooh, jealous. Nice car. Didn't C&D just test the S with PDK in the LOW 3's to 60? Really looks like a nice car but I have neither the garage space or the spare cash to even daydream.

It seems Porsche took the interior bits up a teeny notch on the new models. I thought the switch gear and minor bits were a tad nicer on the 718 than in the 14 Cayman I bought.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Elistan
Several years ago I did a Porsche Roadshow thingy at TMS - this was during the 997.2 era, I think. They had various 911 configs as well as Cayman R and Boxster Spyder. I must say I was much more impressed by the 911s than the mid-engine cars. Not sure if it's something Porsche does deliberately or what.

Oh, and nice they gave you the absolute best color combo for a car.

ps - what's the MSRP on that config?
I fell in love with that color combo. It really is gorgeous. Yeah, the 911 seemed more "complete" than the GT4. Nothing against the GT4 as it's a riot to drive, but the 911 just felt more substantial all around. Sticker is $133k on this one.

Originally Posted by vader1
Ooooooooooooooh, jealous. Nice car. Didn't C&D just test the S with PDK in the LOW 3's to 60? Really looks like a nice car but I have neither the garage space or the spare cash to even daydream.
Yeah, I think I read a 3.2 0-60 or something insane. You can see in my video that with launch mode, it just TAKES OFF. I front the front end lift a little. I think the new '17 Turbo S actually WILL lift the front wheels for a split second on it's 2.5 second 0-60 run. haha.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:42 PM

Received 379 Likes on 282 Posts

Nice. Hoping I wouldn't read about you deciding to drop the GT4 for it. That would have been a damn shame.

You got 350 or 350R seat time yet? I know it's not a P-Car, just curious what you thought.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
Nice. Hoping I wouldn't read about you deciding to drop the GT4 for it. That would have been a damn shame.

You got 350 or 350R seat time yet? I know it's not a P-Car, just curious what you thought.

Nah, got the GT4 for now at least. It is a BLAST to drive. Just wish it had more thrust below 5k, but not that big of a deal really.

No 350 seat time, but I'd love to drive one. Everything I've read is good. Not real happy with Ford dealers in general around my area and I have heard of some problems with owners getting warranty repairs (including a replacement engine for a bad oil pump) and that would piss me off big time. The guy who bitched about the replacement engine debacle owned a GT4 too and had posted about it on Rennlist. Took him over a month with no loaner car or anything. He got the car back filthy inside and out too. That turned me off, but I'm sure it was just a specific Ford dealer who sucks. Car is still good overall.

I've just had awesome luck with the Chevy dealer in town. They will give me a nice loaner no problem and they are professional and will fix anything including track related stuff (when it happens rarely) under warranty. I don't have a relationship like that with a Ford dealer, so that will probably keep me out of a 350 personally. That said LOVE the Voodoo motor.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Holy crap, the 911 is the real deal. It did EVERYTHING really well. The refinement, smoothness, supple suspension in normal mode, quietness just rolling down the highway, wonderful visibility out of the front, almost feels like there isn't a windshield.
This was one of my favorites aspects of driving a 911 (even the 997), no long hood out front like most front engine sports cars (like our C6s)
Old 01-12-2017, 02:29 PM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I dunno man, I think that 911 needs some side intake vents or something.

3.2 0-60 is getting pretty damn insane.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbrig
I dunno man, I think that 911 needs some side intake vents or something.

3.2 0-60 is getting pretty damn insane.
On the street my c6 z06 probably won't catch it till well into triple digits
Old 01-12-2017, 03:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Damn that thing is beautiful.

Quick Reply: I cheated on my GT4!!!!!1