Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I cheated on my GT4!!!!!1

Old 01-16-2017, 02:42 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan
Have you driven a 911? I assume you haven't - looks aside, there's more to a 911 over a 718 than just 'some refinements.' The difference is something you have to experience.
No, never have. I have never had much affinity or desire to own a Porsche, all I can say is that the new GT4 and GT3 body re styling has made me appreciate seeing them, however the Carrera S being discussed in this thread still looks bla. Performance wise I always steer towards something more focused on track performance, so again that draws my attention and affinity more to the GT4 or GT3. But again, I still have no desire to trade in my massaged S2000 for either. Which is probably a good thing, because I'm not rich enough to buy or maintain one, unless I wanted to live out of it.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally was also looking at trading in the GT4 on a 991.2. It's a much better daily driver and I love the rear engine set up. My S2000 is more fun on the street then the GT so it had me re evaluating why I have it. At the end of the day I didn't make the switch. It's really hard to swallow the depreciation of new 911's.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:22 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

The GT4 is a track focused sports car, whereas the 991.2 is a very refined GT car. More emphasis on comfort than overall driver experience. At least that's my observation - drawn from all I know about these cars. I admit I haven't driven either. It's all about what you want from the car, and to some degree your station in life.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:18 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Man, I hope all the GT4 owners feel the same way and start dumping them for the clearly superior 991.2. I've got $60k in hand if anyone urgently needs to unload theirs today. I'll even waive the PPI, lol...
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 07:33 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Yes, but I think I'd rather have the ZR1 and GT4 instead of a 991.2 Turbo S. The Turbo S probably is car to have if you can just own one as it can do basically everything except tow, haul large loads, or go off-road. My fiance thinks I should get the Turbo S because it has a wing on the back and looks more aggressive than the classy, yet fairly pedestrian Carrera S. Not sure I totally agree with her as I like the looks of the Carrera. That said, the GT4 does look more purposeful and striking.

I can't disagree with anything you said above, but I enjoyed the driving experience even if it was more sedate than the GT4. It just felt about perfect for me with the smoother and quieter ride quality and great low/mid-range thrust of the twin turbo 3.0L flat six.

All that said, I am thinking more along your lines and I'm likely going to hold out for a 991.2 GT3. I wouldn't mind a 991.1 GT3 either, but I'd want a '16 model and those are pretty rare. I am on the list at the dealer and I'd suffer much less depreciation on the GT3 than a Turbo S or Carrera S. In the meantime, I still love driving the GT4.

Let me know how you like your PEC experience! I need to get out there and do that too.
Yeah i totally agree that a new 991.2 C2S would have a much larger depreciation curve then a GT3 or even a Turbo. The car was great, im not knocking it one bit. It was a joy to drive but I felt disconnected driving it... It felt numb.

$130k on a well spec'd 991.2 C2S vs. $140-160k on a new GT3... I'll spend a bit more and just get the GT3.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:34 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbrig
Man, I hope all the GT4 owners feel the same way and start dumping them for the clearly superior 991.2. I've got $60k in hand if anyone urgently needs to unload theirs today. I'll even waive the PPI, lol...
Cars are still fetching MSRP or slightly below MSRP currently.

Once the new GT4 is unveiled it would be interesting to see how that affects the current GT4.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:57 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

GT cars aren't good street cars, lack of torque, stiff, noisy, heavy clutch. For a street car the newer turbo P cars are great, so much torque with the turbo motor, creature comforts, and incredible performance. Unless you track a GT3/GT4 regularly it's kind of a waste. By the time you wind out a GT car on the street you're doing go to jail speeds.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by blueprint
Cars are still fetching MSRP or slightly below MSRP currently.

Once the new GT4 is unveiled it would be interesting to see how that affects the current GT4.
By me, they're solidly hanging around MSRP. That's why I so generously offered a lowball to help anybody out who is suffering in that terrible car.

It's all going to come down to numbers. If they keep them limited, or go dry for a few years before a replacement, prices will remain strong. We were talking about this at a PCA brunch the other day. Keep in mind the current GT4 motor is no longer being made for the 911. I know Andreas Pruneinger wants to keep NA motors in the GT cars, but will Porsche continue to produce this one in limited numbers just for the GT4? Or are we looking at different one in the future? I could see an engine change causing a gap in GT4 production. Would not be surprising from Porsche.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:00 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
GT cars aren't good street cars, lack of torque, stiff, noisy, heavy clutch. For a street car the newer turbo P cars are great, so much torque with the turbo motor, creature comforts, and incredible performance. Unless you track a GT3/GT4 regularly it's kind of a waste. By the time you wind out a GT car on the street you're doing go to jail speeds.
Cosmos, have you driven the 991.1 S? What are your thoughts on them vs a Cayman S/GTS?
Old 01-17-2017, 11:02 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by blueprint
Yeah i totally agree that a new 991.2 C2S would have a much larger depreciation curve then a GT3 or even a Turbo. The car was great, im not knocking it one bit. It was a joy to drive but I felt disconnected driving it... It felt numb.

$130k on a well spec'd 991.2 C2S vs. $140-160k on a new GT3... I'll spend a bit more and just get the GT3.
yup, after the depreciation hit, they are much easier of a pill to swallow. Would never spend $130k on a non-GT porsche.

I was looking at 991.1 S's that had MSRPs in the $115k-$120k range. Their selling for $65k-$70k used now.

Quick Reply: I cheated on my GT4!!!!!1